Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Advice on whether it is worth shooting for Explorist

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on whether it is worth shooting for Explorist

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RedSun
I'm actually proud of my wrongness.

Ambassador is not really a tier. But if you argue for it, sure you get it. What was I wrong then? Marriott Platinum is still a mid-top tier. God is exact mid and Titanium and Ambassador are top tiers....
No - Ambassador actually is a tier. 100 nights + $20K spend. Platinum is exactly mid-tier. Because it is the 3rd out of 5. That would be "exact mid" by definition.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:09 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
No - Ambassador actually is a tier. 100 nights + $20K spend. Platinum is exactly mid-tier. Because it is the 3rd out of 5. That would be "exact mid" by definition.
Exactly in the middle does not make it to the mid tier. Marriott Plat = 50 nights. And this is right in the middle between Hyatt Exp (30 nights) and Hyatt Globe (60 nights). This is clearly the mid-up tier, not the mid-tier (30 nights). Titanium is top and Ambassador is a super tier or special class....

Sure you can keep arguing.... You could also add the lifetime status as a separate tier and drop Marriott Platinum to lower tier.

Last edited by RedSun; Mar 2, 2019 at 6:26 am
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HIFlya
Well, WOH has made me Explorist! At least until the end of May, with the offer to get Explorist until February 2020, but of course the caveat that even if I do qualify for the extended Explorist, I won't lounge passes and Category 1-4 FN.

I know that Explorist is supposed to get upgrade in room, but what can I expect at a HP? I am guessing nothing really?
Room upgrade is subject to availability. Hotel can certainly deny you for whatever reason. Once I was upgraded to an one-bed room since it was available. But do not expect much.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:16 am
Suspended

Best Mid-Tier Hotel Elite Status And How To Earn It

This review puts Marriott Gold in the mid-tier and comparing it to Hilton Gold and IHG Gold:

https://awardwallet.com/blog/best-mi...ow-to-earn-it/
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Exactly in the middle does not make it to the mid tier. Marriott Plat = 50 nights and is about the same level as Hyatt Exp (50 to 60 nights). This is clearly the mid-up tier. Titanium is top and Ambassador is a super tier or special class....

Sure you can keep arguing.... You could also add the lifetime status as a separate tier and drop Marriott Platinum to lower tier.
Titanium is not top, it's 2nd from top. Ambassador is a defined tier. Pretending it's not doesn't make it correct.

And just so you know, "Hyatt Exp" is 30 nights, not 50-60..."50-60" would be more like Hyatt Globalist, which anyone would agree is better than Marriott Plat
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:24 am
Suspended

Titanium is not top, it's 2nd from top. Ambassador is a defined tier. Pretending it's not doesn't make it correct.

And just so you know, "Hyatt Exp" is 30 nights, not 50-60..."50-60" would be more like Hyatt Globalist, which anyone would agree is better than Marriott Plat
You are correct on the Hyatt Globe. So just follow you, Hyatt Exp = 30 night and is exactly Hyatt mid tier. And Marriott Plat (50 nights) is mid tier, then Marriott is much harder to reach as a mid-tier? The logics does not seem right....
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Exactly in the middle does not make it to the mid tier. Marriott Plat = 50 nights and is about the same level as Hyatt Exp (50 to 60 nights). This is clearly the mid-up tier. Titanium is top and Ambassador is a super tier or special class....

The purpose of this thread was to shed light on Explorist status being worth shooting for. By trying to state that that Explorist is a lesser tier validates that Explorist has less value to shoot for. I believe that Explorist is easier to obtain than Marriott Plat , although some who find Hyatt's property footprint too small may disagree.

Ambassador is Marriott's top tier. For visual assistance to show Ambassador as a tier, a screenshot from Marriott's web site is provided, which shows Ambassador as a tier, not some invitation-only or arbitrary special class. Ambassador is a real tier with published benefits.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by conde
The purpose of this thread was to shed light on Explorist status being worth shooting for. By trying to state that that Explorist is a lesser tier validates that Explorist has less value to shoot for. I believe that Explorist is easier to obtain than Marriott Plat , although some who find Hyatt's property footprint too small may disagree.

Ambassador is Marriott's top tier. For visual assistance to show Ambassador as a tier, a screenshot from Marriott's web site is provided, which shows Ambassador as a tier, not some invitation-only or arbitrary special class. Ambassador is a real tier with published benefits.
The OP has decided that Hyatt Exp status is worthwhile and he has obtained its goal. So that chapter is closed. Best wishes to OP.

New Marriott Bonv*y has changed and it has multi tiers. You can't say that the tier position determines its tier level. It is the benefits that determines the status. It is meaningless to keep arguing that.

Hotel and airline benefits are all different. They all try to differentiate themselves to be attractive to its members. Also, we are humans and we all have our own personal tastes and personal values....
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:53 am

The OP has decided that Hyatt Exp status is worthwhile and he has obtained its goal. So that chapter is closed. Best wishes to OP.

New Marriott Bonv*y has changed and it has multi tiers. You can't say that the tier position determines its tier level. It is the benefits that determines the status. It is meaningless to keep arguing that.

Hotel and airline benefits are all different. They all try to differentiate themselves to be attractive to its members. Also, we are humans and we all have our own personal tastes and personal values....
So after determining that the OP's topic is now closed, you decide to persist posting off-topic about features of another hotel loyalty program. Bravo.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
This review puts Marriott Gold in the mid-tier and comparing it to Hilton Gold and IHG Gold:

https://awardwallet.com/blog/best-mi...ow-to-earn-it/
None of this has anything to do with the thread title, Marriott and these other programs belong in a separate thread IMO.
This thread spun off course around the 15th post or so.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by conde
So after determining that the OP's topic is now closed, you decide to persist posting off-topic about features of another hotel loyalty program. Bravo.
Sure I do.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mhdena
None of this has anything to do with the thread title, Marriott and these other programs belong in a separate thread IMO.
Totally agreed. I never intended to compare the different reward programs. Other folks brought this up and the info actually was not even correct.

OP, enjoy your Hyatt Explorist status. It is certainly worth something to you. Hope you score some room upgrades and lounge access.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:33 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by mhdena
agreed also, please allow me to use this post as a warning to try to stay on topic and to avoid personal commentary since each of us probably have different travel patterns and put a different value on each of the perks.

thanks!

peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt
RedSun likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Room upgrade is subject to availability. Hotel can certainly deny you for whatever reason. Once I was upgraded to an one-bed room since it was available. But do not expect much.
Were you able to get the upgrade as Glob or Explorist? I was thinking I would not get any upgrade as Explorist as "suites" are excluded from the available upgrades for Explorist and all the HP rooms are "suites" haha.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by HIFlya
Were you able to get the upgrade as Glob or Explorist? I was thinking I would not get any upgrade as Explorist as "suites" are excluded from the available upgrades for Explorist and all the HP rooms are "suites" haha.
I realize that the question wasn't directed to me, however it should be pointed out that Explorist upgrades are not valid at Hyatt Place properties.

Per the WoH T&C's:

"Best Room Available: Explorists will be offered the best room available at the time of check-in at Hyatt hotels and resorts, excluding suites and Club lounge-access rooms. The best room available will be determined by the applicable hotel or resort in its sole discretion and may vary from stay-to-stay. The “best room” may, but will not necessarily be, of a room type/category higher than that booked by the Member. Not valid at Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, or Hyatt Residence Club hotels and resorts, or M life Rewards destinations."

An upgrade may still be available at a HP hotel's discretion if there are higher-category rooms, but it would not be due to Explorist benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.