Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

A Defection to Hyatt: Experiences & a Guide for ex-Starwood/Marriott travelers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Defection to Hyatt: Experiences & a Guide for ex-Starwood/Marriott travelers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
It's crazy how bad Marriott has become. When they first announced the SPG merger (and Hyatt promptly offered a status match) I jumped to Hyatt, but then had a bit of buyers remorse when (it appeared) Marriott was going to be so generous with SPG people... my how times have changed. So glad Hyatt ISN'T matching - the last thing we need is a flood of fake Globalists...
agreed on not giving away the farm. But I do think it is quite unwise that they aren’t even willing to offer challenges. So much ripe business of ex Starwood folks who can’t stand this terrible version of Marriott.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: HYATT Globalist Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by jameswes
It seems very unlikely (though possible). The Brand Explorer never reset, so if you did 10 different brands the first year, you didn't get another cert (or two) from the second year.
To clarify, it isn't "past" but it is still on-going obviously- I do know until when. I have been done with it for so long that it just seemed like a thing of past to me.
Didn't they start this at the time of WOH inception?

I thought Milestone rewards do have something similar to Brand Explorer - stay at 5 different brands and get a cat4 cert and probably stay 10 for another.
Even if Milestone doesn't start until March they will go back and start counting from January IIRC. So if OP did 5 different brands to get a cert from Brand Explorer in 2019 already, he should also get another from Milestone. My understanding is this is a new program/promo that has nothing to do with Brand Explorer promo, which should end on 2/28 with inception of this Phase Two WOH (or Milestone) although it was never announced. No?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
You may recall that Hyatt was in contention for acquiring Starwood. I was really rooting for them, as I felt those two matched up much better in terms of both style and substance than did Marriott. It would also have been better for competition.

My impression is that Hyatt staff are in general better-trained and more focused on guest satisfaction than the other brands. (And I'm not just saying that because I used to work for Hyatt!)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Lots of great commentary here. As someone that splits my loyalty between the two, Hyatt nails confirmed suite upgrades and breakfast. But my upgrade experience has been worse with Hyatt when not using a DSU compared to marriott. And when im thinking about a vacation, I typically find several Marriott properties that fit what im looking for, but I feel like I have to make an extra effort to vacation with Hyatt. I think I could spend years trying to stay at all of Marriott's top end properties, whereas I think I've been to all of Hyatts (outside of the Asian properties) at last once and many more than once.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
I used to complain about Hyatt IT, but it's much better than Marriott's, especially the app. I especially appreciate how Hyatt app retains prior searches so you don't have to reenter all the info each time you search.

Marriott IT has just been one cluster after another.
Agreed. Maybe I have just been lucky with Hyatt IT so far. But everything has just worked really well.

Marriott by way of contrast is an ongoing dumpster fire. I just can’t stand the inconsistency. And the opacity is a big F. U. to consumers.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:55 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Joining the club here - just switched some upcoming reservations over from Marriott to Hyatt. Let's see what I'll be thinking of Hyatt after the first year and how the situation over at Marriott will develop. I'm LTP at Marriott (long time loyal to spg) and have Exp at Hyatt.

I like the web booking at Hyatt, compared to a really inconvenient process at Marriott (only showing very limited rates). The Hyatt app however is not good for bookings, hotel and room info is very basic compared with the full website.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Interesting post. I am/was Ritz platinum. I still get 3 upgrades per year to club floor at the Ritz and always at other properties. I get a suite 50% of the time. (not if you use web checkin). Suite 80% at "my marriotts" that know me. How often do yo get a suite at hyatt?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:47 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Sure the potential suite upgrade at Marriott is a big plus point - but as a "low" Plat I don't usually get suite upgrades. Those would be especially valuable for holidays with multi-night stays, but suite upgrades do not happen for such stays for me. So for quite some time I have booked such holiday stays where a suite matters with Interconti where I did get a reliable one cat Amb upgrade into a suite by booking one category below. And I'll see how that works out at Hyatt with the 9k points suite upgrade which can be arranged in advance.

Originally Posted by Gadot
Interesting post. I am/was Ritz platinum. I still get 3 upgrades per year to club floor at the Ritz and always at other properties. I get a suite 50% of the time. (not if you use web checkin). Suite 80% at "my marriotts" that know me. How often do yo get a suite at hyatt?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Not really

At this point, more than half of all hotel rooms in major US cities are controlled by the four biggest chains.

As as airlines did post consolidation, hotel chains are moving toward managing loyalty through corporate contracts.

Im a Globalist, and I happen to like Hyatt. But my company’s rate includes premium internet and breakfast as most hotels, which puts my status in perspective.

[QUOTE=UA-NYC;30783951]
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
[QUOTE=embarcadero1;30785760]
At this point, more than half of all hotel rooms in major US cities are controlled by the four biggest chains.

As as airlines did post consolidation, hotel chains are moving toward managing loyalty through corporate contracts.

Im a Globalist, and I happen to like Hyatt. But my company’s rate includes premium internet and breakfast as most hotels, which puts my status in perspective.

[QUOTE=UA-NYC;30783951]
unless you are watching movies, does it really matter premium vs reg wifi (from a guy who gets the premium free)
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21
But my upgrade experience has been worse with Hyatt when not using a DSU compared to marriott.
​I (along with many others on this forum) have had the complete opposite experience as to what you have described. As someone who maintains both platinum on spg / bonvoy and globalist on Hyatt, I find that I am upgraded on Hyatt about 75% of the time and less than 25% of the time on Bonvoy. Over my last 5 stays on Bonvoy (since the IT merger), I have not been upgraded a single time. I have been upgraded on 5 of my last 6 stays at Hyatt properties.

Couple of other anecdotes: I stayed at the grand Hyatt baha Mar over new years when the hotel was completely sold out. I wasn't able to secure a suite upgrade in advance so I had resigned myself to a regular room. When I checked in, they had upgraded me to a residence suite that overlooked the fountains and that had a balcony that had a perfect view of the new years fireworks... I had a similar experience at the Hyatt in Huntington Beach (no suite upgrades available in advance but was given a very large suite upon check-in)

Long story short, I've been more than happy with world of Hyatt and they've certainly inspired increasing loyalty from me over the last couple of years. I've shifted most of my spend to WOH and I'm questioning if it's worth it for me to continue maintaining platinum elite status at bonvoy. The only issue is that I have 2m points to burn at bonvoy so will likely need to stay at the hotels...
Duke777 and cmx like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by Visualp
​I (along with many others on this forum) have had the complete opposite experience as to what you have described. As someone who maintains both platinum on spg / bonvoy and globalist on Hyatt, I find that I am upgraded on Hyatt about 75% of the time and less than 25% of the time on Bonvoy. Over my last 5 stays on Bonvoy (since the IT merger), I have not been upgraded a single time. I have been upgraded on 5 of my last 6 stays at Hyatt properties.

Couple of other anecdotes: I stayed at the grand Hyatt baha Mar over new years when the hotel was completely sold out. I wasn't able to secure a suite upgrade in advance so I had resigned myself to a regular room. When I checked in, they had upgraded me to a residence suite that overlooked the fountains and that had a balcony that had a perfect view of the new years fireworks... I had a similar experience at the Hyatt in Huntington Beach (no suite upgrades available in advance but was given a very large suite upon check-in)

Long story short, I've been more than happy with world of Hyatt and they've certainly inspired increasing loyalty from me over the last couple of years. I've shifted most of my spend to WOH and I'm questioning if it's worth it for me to continue maintaining platinum elite status at bonvoy. The only issue is that I have 2m points to burn at bonvoy so will likely need to stay at the hotels...

What is your current bonvoy status? It looks like platinum, which is not an apples to apples comparison to globalist. As a current bonvoy ambassador and previous titanium, on my last few stays, I was in a suite at the ritz boston, am currently in a luxury suite at the st. regis deer valley over president's day weekend, and in between had a junior suite at the chatwal. With hyatt on my last few stays, I had to pay $$ to upgrade to a real suite at PH NYC, had to argue for an upgrade at the driskill and had a high floor at the hyatt cambridge. Both are solid programs and much better than my brief experience with Hilton and IHG, but my upgrade percentage is about the same and with marriott, i'm usually able to stay at a nicer place.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Yes, it does, or at least it used to. I do a lot of video conferencing.

Now that Hyatt has Chromecast in many hotels, I can watch Netflix on a big screen.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by spgplat21
What is your current bonvoy status? It looks like platinum, which is not an apples to apples comparison to globalist. As a current bonvoy ambassador and previous titanium, on my last few stays, I was in a suite at the ritz boston, am currently in a luxury suite at the st. regis deer valley over president's day weekend, and in between had a junior suite at the chatwal. With hyatt on my last few stays, I had to pay $$ to upgrade to a real suite at PH NYC, had to argue for an upgrade at the driskill and had a high floor at the hyatt cambridge. Both are solid programs and much better than my brief experience with Hilton and IHG, but my upgrade percentage is about the same and with marriott, i'm usually able to stay at a nicer place.
For 2019, I barely requalified as a platinum elite. However, I had an ambassador for all of 2018 (over 100+ nights the prior year) and was not treated much differently from other platinums. And in many cases, I was given a standard room when my colleagues with NO status received upgrades to suites. Needless to say, I've been pretty dissatisfied with spg / bonvoy. Who knows - maybe I'm on their sh*tlist for some unknown reason... But if you read the bonvoy forums, I think you'll find that far more people are having similar experiences to mine vs. Yours
Duke777 and UA-NYC like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

agreed on not giving away the farm. But I do think it is quite unwise that they aren’t even willing to offer challenges. So much ripe business of ex Starwood folks who can’t stand this terrible version of Marriott.
As with the cartel kingpin airlines in the US, so with the hotel kingpins: retail customers’ loyalty matters a whole lot less to business when demand is strong overall and the drive is to lock in large corporate accounts and customers that way.

And as with the US3 airlines’ loyalty programs, so with the big US hotels’ loyalty programs: the cuts from one operator signal cuts to come from the others too.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 17, 2019 at 11:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.