Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

More points promo - 2/15-5/15/2019 - 1,000 (or 1,500 pls / night)

More points promo - 2/15-5/15/2019 - 1,000 (or 1,500 pls / night)

Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by ewrp12
Some prior promotions had this term:
  • Back-to-back stays within a 24-hour period at a single Hyatt hotel are considered one stay.
Here's one promo that has this term:
https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...nes-miles.html

I thought I saw something similar when this promotion was announced but I don't see it anymore.

Anyway, when staying in another hotel the next day it will count... Worried already... As a one day stay is followed the next day by a 2-week-stay in another Hyatt.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Collecting points via hotel stays is pretty grim. Minus the zero for first night, it's a good promo versus competition. Five HP nights = 7500 bonus points versus 20,000 Hilton bonus points if you change hotels five times. It's easy to find a decent Hyatt for 8000 points. Try that with 20,000 Hilton points. Or, see what you can get with Hyatt for 15,000 points versus 40,000 points on Hilton.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by tjae
24 hour gap between first stay and second stay
You mean when you stay in the same property again?
I think that must be what he means, because there is nothing in this promo that requires a one day gap. If I stay in Hyatt One on Monday and Hyatt Two on Tuesday, that is two stays.

For sure, if I was in the middle of a long stay I would check out for a day and come back rather than miss out on 20-30k points. My stay isn't that long, but I've already informed my front desk that I'll be checking out on Monday. They're unhappy to lose the biz, but I'll simply switch this upcoming week to another nearby Hyatt.

The "starting on the second stay" is a restriction that Marriott commonly adds to their Megabonuses, and it also receives the same harsh backlash from the road warriors. It obviously depresses business from travelers who are elites with more than one chain and might shift a stay to give Hyatt another look. Most people don't plan 2 stays ahead.

Except for the infuriating "second stay" requirement, this is identical to the promo Hyatt ran at this same time last year. I absolutely believe the WoH folks saw some metric they didn't like and said "what can we do quick?" and someone said "let's dust off last year's promo and rush it out."

Note to Hyatt: stop adding silly restrictions to your promos. All you are doing is POing your best customers.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by ewrp12
Some prior promotions had this term:
  • Back-to-back stays within a 24-hour period at a single Hyatt hotel are considered one stay.
Here's one promo that has this term:
https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...nes-miles.html

I thought I saw something similar when this promotion was announced but I don't see it anymore.
Why doesn't someone just ask Hyatt? Or don't you trust the answers you get from Hyatt Concierge?

Last edited by jn in ca; Feb 16, 2019 at 1:04 pm
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:58 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Originally Posted by jn in ca
It's 500 / night at HPs, so 5 x 500 =2500, not 7500.

No, I do not consider 2500 Hyatt points to be as valuable as 20,000 Hilton points. Not even close.
This promotion provides 1500 points per night at HPs.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by mmgm

This promotion provides 1500 points per night at HPs.
Thanks for the correction. Apparently I'd misread something.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:54 pm

Yeah I sent my pl rep an email expressing my displeasure at how the promo was rolled out and handled and asked if she could pass those concerns up the chain.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:20 pm

Hyatt Promo Question

So... promo announced on the 15th. I registered immediately. I also check OUT on the 15th from a two night stay. Did I complete the first "stay" requirement on the 15th? Anyone know?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Yes.

But why does this require its own thread? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...q1-2019-a.html
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Richard1148
Would a Chase free night count as an eligible stay?
Yes, they said in the T&C:
Eligible Night is defined as any night where a member is paying an Eligible Rate or redeems a free night award for at least one night of their stay.

They Chase certs are "free night awards". And Eligible rates are for all paid rates directly through Hyatt (plus some concierge bookings such as FHR, Citi Prestige, Prive) and all points reservations
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by uktraveller212
Yes.

I am on a long stay, which started before the promo was announced and continuing for a few more weeks.

The promo doesnt kick in until the second stay. If the T&Cs were friendly, I could just split the stay in two - check out today and check back in, commencing the second stay. However, the T&Cs require that there be a 24 hour gap between the first and second stay. The only way around this would be to leave the property im in for a day and come back.

Very unfair for those who stay multiple weeks at a time.
I think where this is coming from is that Hyatt considers multiple reservations at the same hotel in a back-to-back form to be considered a single "stay". I think that's because on the back end they generally merge them together, and it regularly doesn't actually require a check-out (you can stay in the same room). This made a much bigger difference in HGP because there were stay-level bonuses for Diamond (1K points/stay), and status could be earned through 25 stays.

Anyway...
In this situation, if you check out of Hotel A on Friday morning, then check in to Hotel B on Friday afternoon, Hotel A's stay will absolutely count as a stay and all of Hotel B's stay will have their nights count towards the promo.
However, if you "check out" of Hotel A on Friday morning and then "check in" to Hotel A on Friday afternoon, then the stays are very likely to be merged and then the entire time at Hotel A counts as a single stay.

So the two best methods to prevent that situation are:
1) Check in and out of another hotel before your extended stay
2) Have at least a day between when you check out of the hotel for the first time and then check back in.
3) **MAYBE** you could have a one-off stay (even overlapping) at another Hyatt. That could trigger the "first stay" that doesn't count towards promo, then the nights from your longer stay may count.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by tjae
Anyway, when staying in another hotel the next day it will count... Worried already... As a one day stay is followed the next day by a 2-week-stay in another Hyatt.
You'll be fine. The concern is when there are back-to-back stays at the same hotel.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:25 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by lighthouse206
So... promo announced on the 15th. I registered immediately. I also check OUT on the 15th from a two night stay. Did I complete the first "stay" requirement on the 15th? Anyone know?
i doubt it since you checked out on the day the promo started.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jameswes
Yes, they said in the T&C:
Eligible Night is defined as any night where a member is paying an Eligible Rate or redeems a free night award for at least one night of their stay.

They Chase certs are "free night awards". And Eligible rates are for all paid rates directly through Hyatt (plus some concierge bookings such as FHR, Citi Prestige, Prive) and all points reservations
Thanks. I read the T&C and was not sure if by free night award whether they were referring only to redeeming points or if any free night award would qualify. They don't allow using a Club Access award with a Chase free night, so I though that maybe this promo might exclude Chase free nights also. To be certain, I emailed WOH and they confirmed today that the Chase free night qualifies.
RedElmo likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Richard1148
Thanks. I read the T&C and was not sure if by free night award whether they were referring only to redeeming points or if any free night award would qualify. They don't allow using a Club Access award with a Chase free night, so I though that maybe this promo might exclude Chase free nights also. To be certain, I emailed WOH and they confirmed today that the Chase free night qualifies.
Thanks for the information, I am guessing that based on your reading of the T&Cs, that standard points award redemptions count too? I was confused by the "free night award" language and thought that only referred to CC/Brand/Elite status award certificate nights for some reason.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.