FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Should i change multinight award to multiple one-nighters (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1956209-should-i-change-multinight-award-multiple-one-nighters.html)

azepine00 Feb 13, 2019 8:14 pm

Should i change multinight award to multiple one-nighters

I have an award booked at a property that will go up in price however my travel plans are not firm yet so i may need to trim a night or two on either end after changes take place. Should i rebook the whole thing as multiple one night awards to play it safe? Any cons?
In the past as GP dia i never had an issue adjusting the length without rebooking but i am not sure what to expect these days as mid tier...

craigthemif Feb 13, 2019 9:39 pm

Yeah. I'd book multiple one-nighters if you can.

Worst case scenario the hotel might think you're only staying one night and might upgrade you. :D

That said, sometimes the hotel then screws up the elite night crediting, but that can be fixed later.

gengar Feb 13, 2019 10:09 pm

I've never had problems knocking off days at the beginning/end of an award reservation so long as I did it before the cancellation period. Not sure why status would be relevant.

mikew99 Feb 13, 2019 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by gengar (Post 30776297)
I've never had problems knocking off days at the beginning/end of an award reservation so long as I did it before the cancellation period. Not sure why status would be relevant.

Unfortunately, I have, back when the Grand Hyatt Jakarta went from Category 1 to 2. I wanted to shorten my stay from four days to two, but I was charged the higher rate for the modified reservation. (I was Diamond at the time.)

If I were ever to book a hotel that's going up in price, and my dates might change, I would definitely book single nights! There is rarely an issue combining these at check-in.

CloudCoder Feb 14, 2019 3:36 am

In recent months, if you want to extend or shorten your reservation, Hyatt wants to reprice it at current rates. This often means a price increase. Sometimes the price increase is huge.

To circumvent the price increase:
- If you want to arrive earlier or depart later, keep your existing reservation and book a new reservation. Then call in to combine them (or just do it at the hotel when you check in).
- If you want to depart earlier, just check out early. Most hotels post the charges daily, and very few (if any) Hyatts have early departure fees.
- If you want to arrive later, then you'll just have to book a new reservation at current prices.

To the OP's original question, if you're unsure of the travel dates, booking separate one-night award reservations is definitely the way to go. When plans firm up, you can keep what you need (and even combined them into one reservation) and cancel the rest.

Biggie Fries Feb 14, 2019 7:01 am

In OP's situation, I definitely book single nights (unless this were an instance where the rate was better over several days than day-by-day, in which case I might gamble on making the whole stay).

iflyjetz Feb 14, 2019 9:46 am

The only disadvantage I can think of is if you want to use a suite upgrade cert.

jameswes Feb 14, 2019 11:25 am

Originally Posted by iflyjetz (Post 30778124)
The only disadvantage I can think of is if you want to use a suite upgrade cert.

I've found that they can string together multiple reservations and then apply the TSU to the combination of reservations. Even with a Paid + Points. Sometimes HUCA, or email your concierge, but it can be done.

jbeckett Feb 14, 2019 12:42 pm

Yes, you should. Then if you want to delete a night there are no issues. Any time that I am at all unsure about a stay, I book separate nights unless there is some good reason not to (for example, fifth night free on an award stay at Hilton).

NJNY Feb 14, 2019 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by jameswes (Post 30778534)
I've found that they can string together multiple reservations and then apply the TSU to the combination of reservations. Even with a Paid + Points. Sometimes HUCA, or email your concierge, but it can be done.

Oh wow, my concierge has had me use multiple TSUs when I've had 2 reservations because both paid and points. Always for reservations less than a week in total. I stopped using my concierge anyway, will just call from now on!

beachfan Feb 15, 2019 11:27 pm

I got bad advice from the Globalist desk. My concierge has been slow, so I just called in. I had a 5 night reservation at the Andaz Papagayo and a 2 night (same place) and had them apply a single TSU. Rather than string the two together, she rebooked me for all seven nights (on points) and then applied the TSU. I'll have to call to right size it (although I'm probably just checking out early, but the cancellation policies can be draconion in early January, so I'm not sure I'd get a pass from penalties if I did early checkout).

gengar Feb 18, 2019 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by NJNY (Post 30779324)
Oh wow, my concierge has had me use multiple TSUs when I've had 2 reservations because both paid and points. Always for reservations less than a week in total. I stopped using my concierge anyway, will just call from now on!

Same for me. The inconsistency is annoying.

I also assumed the issue was simply the separate reservations, not the paid/points combination.