Hyatt Category Changes 2019

Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jameswes
I can confirm that I'm seeing the exact same issue. If the hotel still has points bookings available you can cancel the existing reservation (to get your points back) then rebook (with the new rate) to get your points back.
That's exactly what I did. Worked perfectly.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:10 am

-----

Last edited by mster; Apr 25, 2019 at 8:25 am
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brclark82
If I have a hotel booked on points thats going down a category will they automatically refund those points, or will I have to contact them, or will I have to cancel and rebook after the change?
my concierge told me theres a team that supposed to be refunding points on properties that have dropped. I still havent gotten mine yet, but she said maybe give it a few more weeks
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:12 am

-----

Last edited by mster; Apr 25, 2019 at 8:25 am
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
my concierge told me theres a team that supposed to be refunding points on properties that have dropped. I still havent gotten mine yet, but she said maybe give it a few more weeks
I had a four night stay at a hotel, three days were before the price drop, one after. I didn't have a good way of just canceling and rebooking the reservation, but I'm happy to report that Hyatt has retroactively credited me with the 5K point difference.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:51 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by jameswes
I had a four night stay at a hotel, three days were before the price drop, one after. I didn't have a good way of just canceling and rebooking the reservation, but I'm happy to report that Hyatt has retroactively credited me with the 5K point difference.
You could have made two reservations and split the reservations.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Ugh - I took a reservation from 4 nights (booked before the increase) down to 2 nights and got hit with the category upgrade (from 2 to 3). Only a 4,000 point difference, but a bit annoying...
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:34 am

I had a points stay starting March 18th at a hotel that lowered category. I called soon after the stay and was told that the points adjustment would take up to a month to post. I called back today and they tried to claim I was ineligible because the stay began on March 18th instead of the 19th. Luckily, I had saved a copy of the terms:

"Any Free Night or Points & Cash Award booked prior to 11:01 p.m. CT, March 18, 2019, for nights on or after March 18, 2019, at a property that is shifting to a lower category and will require fewer points will receive an adjustment."
They relented and manually issued a credit. Disappointed that they didn't program the auto-credit exactly as the terms described.
Old May 7, 2019, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I booked 4 nights on points at the HR on Wacker, Chicago, before the change from cat 4 to 3. Checked out yesterday.

Never got the 3k per night adjustment. Emailed concierge and she fixed it.

If you have been owed points, you might want to check your account to see if you got them.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold
Looking at places to book spring break in 2020 and wondering if Hyatt category changes are an annual ritual. Any early indications on whether Hyatt will make changes in 2020? I read in late 2018 that Baha Mar was supposed to drop to a Cat 4, but that clearly didn't happen. I can't imagine The Resort at Coco Beach in San Juan will stay a Cat 3 for much longer. What other properties in the Caribbean & Latin America could go up/down in 2020?
Old Nov 17, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dmgrayinva
Looking at places to book spring break in 2020 and wondering if Hyatt category changes are an annual ritual. Any early indications on whether Hyatt will make changes in 2020? I read in late 2018 that Baha Mar was supposed to drop to a Cat 4, but that clearly didn't happen. I can't imagine The Resort at Coco Beach in San Juan will stay a Cat 3 for much longer. What other properties in the Caribbean & Latin America could go up/down in 2020?
It usually happens annually but they do give a couple weeks notice.

Im still sad Andaz Papagayo went from a Cat 4 to a Cat 5.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 6:52 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dmgrayinva
Book what you want now. If the property drops a category or two, you'll get the new rate. If it goes up, you'll keep the current rate. If you see a different property that dropped a category and is now more attractive, cancel your reservation and book at the new property.
SF1K and OsakaWino like this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skj
Book what you want now. If the property drops a category or two, you'll get the new rate. If it goes up, you'll keep the current rate. If you see a different property that dropped a category and is now more attractive, cancel your reservation and book at the new property.
We will get advance notice. Even that mid-year change in Budapest - cat. 2 up to 5 - came with lots of advance warning.

"Book what you want now" is fine, but I certainly wouldn't waste time with speculative bookings that might be forgotten about.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
After the pretty big changes last year, I would imagine that changes this year will be much more limited.

My biggest hope is GH DFW drops back down to Cat4. At cat5, there is never a time in which pts redemption there makes any sense.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkOK
After the pretty big changes last year, I would imagine that changes this year will be much more limited.

My biggest hope is GH DFW drops back down to Cat4. At cat5, there is never a time in which pts redemption there makes any sense.
Im extremely surprised its a Cat 5 I would definitely think it will drop back Cat 4. I know its a great hotel, but definitely not worthy of Cat 5.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.