Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Category Changes 2019

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:28 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Why do people expect to get a raise every year? Why isn't milk $0.49 a gallon like it was when I was a kid? Life is not stagnant.
Why stop there? Let's introduce dynamic pricing!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by downinit
This is by a very wide margin the least painful award category update I have seen of all the big hotel chains in a great long while. IHG has uniformly raised all of the big city and city center hotels every year (the only ones ever reduced are small towns and suburbs), and Hilton has just become a pathetic joke. California and most of Asia were lowered and now I have more than one option for my Cat 4's on weekend trips from LA. Sad about Tokyo (Andaz and Ginza are two of my fav), but not surprised considering that the Andaz is usually $500+ a night.
Yes. I'll take Hyatt's version any day over the competition. When something is a 50 or 60% jump (Cat 1-2 or 2-3 for example), Hyatt have shown that they hold the line as long as possible. There are few, if any, hotels on the list where the price jump isn't justified by cash rates.

Marriott, IHG and Hilton are happy to charge you 5,000 more points per year, every year, for any half-decent hotel, even when average hotel rates have hardly changed.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
I've only stayed at the Andaz there, but I wouldn't go back. Didn't like the room, the breakfast, or the neighborhood.
I liked all 3. My review is in the appropriate thread.

RE: the location, I get that it's a personal thing and not everyone wants to be in the heart of a city surrounded by nightlife... but a minimal amount of research (eg, glancing at a map) would tell you that that's the type of area that it was. The location is exactly what it's advertised to be, so there shouldn't be any surprises.

That's why I'm so happy with the change. Finding a cat 4 in the downtown of a "real" (for lack of a better term) city is challenging.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Personally, felt much more reasonable than marriott.
Considering the raw numbers, I don't think there is any other way of viewing it, relative to Marriott.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
PH Seoul is totally not deserving of Cat. 6. It was a Cat. 4 not too long ago!

PH Busan also should have stayed at Cat. 4. The Japanese properties seem to be points hungry these days.
I know that there are probably some favorites that went up, but at least there are still options in Tokyo and other cities that you can use the certificate.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm happy to two San Diego Hyatts (Andaz and Manchester Grand) drop from Cat 5 to Cat 4.

I find Cat 1-4 certs kind of hard to use; it's nice to have a couple of options for a close-by weekend getaway (coming from SFO) Great properties too.
I was really happy to see that too. If we go back to SAN for a vacation, it will definitely be an option to stay in one of those places when we are in downtown and then stay at the HH in carlsbad for legoland (which also dropped, one year too late for me though).
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
PH Seoul is totally not deserving of Cat. 6. It was a Cat. 4 not too long ago!

PH Busan also should have stayed at Cat. 4. The Japanese properties seem to be points hungry these days.
I stayed at the PH and found it to be a massive disappointment. No way is it remotely worth a cat 6.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a 9-night stay at the PH Seoul and I checked out early to go to the GH Seoul after 2 nights. I liked the GH a lot more than the PH.

The PH is certainly nice enough (definitely fancier than the GH) but everything about the hotel is just a massive hassle. Not something that I want to deal with when I'm on vacation. I hate it when staff at "fancy" hotels feel that they are doing you a favor by letting you stay there. I was very happy to get out of that place.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: Hyatt
Glad I already booked the family vacay to Andaz Costa Rica for May. Used 2 cat 1-4 certs and points to book nights in a suites.

Under the new valuations, would have cost me nearly 50k more in points.

Too bad. I'm sure many people will be disappointed by change.

Thinking of booking for Mayakoba before it goes up in points.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I had a 9-night stay at the PH Seoul and I checked out early to go to the GH Seoul after 2 nights. I liked the GH a lot more than the PH.

The PH is certainly nice enough (definitely fancier than the GH) but everything about the hotel is just a massive hassle. Not something that I want to deal with when I'm on vacation. I hate it when staff at "fancy" hotels feel that they are doing you a favor by letting you stay there. I was very happy to get out of that place.
My suite was practically falling apart and the new GM thought it didn't warrant changing the room or any sort of service recovery. Seems to be lapsing back to the snooty Gangnam image it had in the early 2010s.

The Grand Club at GH is brand new and pretty spacious with decent booze and spreads. A major step up from the restrictive happy hour at PH's Timber House. PH is not worth 25,000 hard earned points.

Last edited by Aventine; Feb 13, 2019 at 10:15 am
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My suite was practically falling apart and the new GM thought it didn't warrant changing the room or any sort of service recovery. Seems to be lapsing back to the snooty Gangnam image it had in the early 2010s.

The Grand Club at GH is brand new and pretty spacious with decent booze and spreads. A major step up from the restrictive happy hour at PH's Timber House. PH is not worth 25,000 hard earned points.
Category is generally based on price, though, and given the sky-high prices that the PH charges, the new category is probably warranted. The fact that the hotel isn't worth that price is a different matter. (Moving from the PH to the GH for the last 7 nights of my trip saved me about $1000... that was not the reason that I left but it was certainly a nice bonus)

I could go on for a long time about the problems with the PH Seoul and their compete lack of understanding of what "service" means but that probably belongs in the hotel-specific thread.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:09 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
The changes are not really affecting me. Hotel du Louvre going from Cat 5 to Cat 6 was anticipated since they just underwent a massive renovation that took about 2 years, and room rates are now similar to Hotel Madeleine, the other Cat 6 in Paris. HR Etoile cash rate still makes it the most reasonable hotel in Paris, if not as nice as Hotel du Louvre, Madeleine and PHV.

Last edited by CIT85; Feb 14, 2019 at 12:33 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:54 am

So disappointed with the category change for the Hyatt Regency Boston, our goto hotel during the summer. Question for the experts, my annual certificate does not renew until April 😶... Could I technically book the Boston property with points right now for 15k and then switch it to the certificate in April?

I value the points much more since they are more flexible to work with, thanks!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by calculus1918
So disappointed with the category change for the Hyatt Regency Boston, our goto hotel during the summer. Question for the experts, my annual certificate does not renew until April 😶... Could I technically book the Boston property with points right now for 15k and then switch it to the certificate in April?
No.

From personal experience, any change to the reservation after the change in categories will force the new categories.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by alextrips
Glad I already booked the family vacay to Andaz Costa Rica for May. Used 2 cat 1-4 certs and points to book nights in a suites.

Under the new valuations, would have cost me nearly 50k more in points.

Too bad. I'm sure many people will be disappointed by change.

Thinking of booking for Mayakoba before it goes up in points.
Mayakoba is pretty often a better deal on cash than points. A typical price is only $300/nt, and sometimes sales bring it down to $200 (or less if you have Prestige 4th night free, or sometimes there are Prive specials). Last year over thanksgiving I only paid ~$650 for four nights (that I then used a TSU on top of for a beach suite).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.