Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Category Changes 2019

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah - I'll have to rethink my trips to Emeryville. I don't love those properties to begin with, especially the street access and parking issues, so this is a good shove to dig around.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by azepine00
this is far far more balanced relatively to marriott.. plenty of hotels in NY or CA are going down in price (including pretty much all properties in san diego for example); near all changes in UK, china, india, turkey and thailand are decreases, GH Bali is down - this is very impressive in the age of devaluations!
I was not thrilled with them bumping the Andaz Tokyo up into category 7. It is actually one of my favorite properties for hyatt redemptions. I saw they dropped the price for Singapore Andaz which I was considering for a stay. Also now going to look a bit closer at the value of the GH Bali since I will be in the area.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Some good and some bad in my case. Most the properties I care about are unchanged, a couple moved down and a couple moved up. Overall, from the properties I am familiar with, the change is well-justified. The only change that I really don't like is the move of GH DFW from cat 4 to 5. I loved using my cat4s certs there, I think I have redeemed something like 5 certs there in the last 2 years. Perfect place to use them for quick decision trips to the metroplex. I really wonder if I'll end up blowing them at cat1s now for lack of better options in my travel schedule....
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Pretty terrible list for me. The Centric Park City (remember when this was a Cat. 4 a couple years ago?) and GH DFW (where will I use my Cat. 4 certs now?!?!?!) are the worst hits to me. I guess I still have the Bellevue in Philadelphia and HR Austin as my go to Cat. 4s.

On the bright side, they aren't moving any legacy Hyatt properties to Cat. 8 yet and the Andaz London is going down a category. The few reductions in NYC will also be good during crazy busy times. And it could always be worse.

Last edited by spgplat21; Feb 11, 2019 at 4:44 pm
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

PH Seoul is totally not deserving of Cat. 6. It was a Cat. 4 not too long ago!

PH Busan also should have stayed at Cat. 4. The Japanese properties seem to be points hungry these days.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:06 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I woke up to cries of devaluation on various WA groups, but looking at the chart, it doesn't look bad to me. There are significant changes in some regions of the US, but even here, some places are going up, some down. Tech boom regions like Bay Area or Seattle are getting hit (anybody surprised?), but there are also plenty of positive changes, like Centric Waikiki going down, and some of the San Diego and NYC properties. In Asia, it's not bad at all, IMO. Japan has a lot of properties going up, but it's still better than expected given the increase in tourism and rates commanded by hotels. In other parts of Asia, lots of hotels going down -- PH Siem Reap, GH Bali, Andaz Singapore, lots of China properties. IMO, this is a VERY mild devaluation, especially since Hyatt didn't have much of a devaluation last year. And this is nothing compared to Marriott's now bi-annual bloodbaths.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
very fair & very cool
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hyatt Centric Park City is taking reservations for next year, but they're all non-refundable currently.

I do wonder if they'll go ahead and drop that restriction after the award redemption increase.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Personally, felt much more reasonable than marriott.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This latest deval is particularly bad for me as it hits hard at some of my favorite properties including Napa, Incline Village, and Maui. And a 5k bump on the Hyatt scale is equivalent to a 10-15k bump on the Marriott scale. To be fair some of the top Marriott (formerly SPG) properties are soon going up to 85k or more, but they were smart to sweeten the news by temporarily reducing the old rate to 60k for a few months. Kudos to Hyatt for providing sufficient advance notice, which is something we don't see from HIlton, Delta, and other miscreants.

As my parents the landlords like to say, better to implement small increases annually (i.e. 1K bump) than large one-off rent hikes. But hotel chains are only concerned with today's bottom line, not the long-term value of the brand.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Nice to see Spirit Ridge drop. It might actually be worth it now.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:53 pm

Why do we need constant changes every year? I don't get why people say stuff like "reasonable" etc acting like we HAVE to have devaluation EACH year. Devaluation is what it is since 90% of the negative changes are to the properties people care about.

I mean, 1 category changes are 20-60% increases! Why does this have to happen every year?! Do hotel chains just have no real idea of the value of a hotel night? I find it hard to believe that the corresponding cash rates of these properties are up 20-60% year over year.

Given a lack of other outside changes, I don't see any reason we should have to expect this every single year and the fact that we are happy about "mild" annual increases of 20, 30, 50+% says a lot about the state of "loyalty". Hey, your credit card night and your 30 night award are still useful at the HP Inner Tsingtao Fuchou Industrial Complex though so...
cuthroat and clublevel15 like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by antonius66
Why do we need constant changes every year?
Why do people expect to get a raise every year? Why isn't milk $0.49 a gallon like it was when I was a kid? Life is not stagnant.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
As usual, the gems where you'd tend to pay with points are going up a category whilst those where you always paid cash are coming closer to reality.

Shame about Andaz Papagayo and HR Cartagena...
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Why do people expect to get a raise every year? Why isn't milk $0.49 a gallon like it was when I was a kid? Life is not stagnant.
People don't get 50 percent raises every year. Inflation isn't 25 percent. Milk hasn't gone from $6 to $9.60 in a year. Somehow I don't think the cost of hotel operations have gone up 20-60% last year. I'm certain the staff didn't all get 40 percent raises.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.