Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt NYC To Be Torn Down & Rebuilt

Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
The Grand Hyatt New York - which originally opened in 1919 as the Commodore - will close before the end of 2020 and will be torn down to make way for a new tower totaling 2 million square feet. The hotel was renovated by Donald Trump in 1980, at which time it received its glass exterior.

Press coverage:
Grand Hyatt New York to Be Torn Down, Replaced with Tower
New York’s Grand Hyatt Hotel to Be Torn Down (subscription required)
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, HHonors Diamond,

This just came across the news feed. I thought it needed a refresh, but it seems like it may get a whole new tower along with a smaller footprint.

https://apple.news/AMPAygRgjTfuYZ5xlXyCRqg
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by CaroPalms
This just came across the news feed. I thought it needed a refresh, but it seems like it may get a whole new tower along with a smaller footprint.

https://apple.news/AMPAygRgjTfuYZ5xlXyCRqg
All I can say is WOW. Was anyone expecting this? Wondering when it will close....
creativeguess1 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: Globallist
WOWSERS is right!
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Definitely did a double-take when I saw the push notification on my iPhone. I have had some decent stays at the GH, though find the rooms to be quite small. Hopefully they’ll get somewhat larger with the re-do.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
About time.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:02 pm

Anyone with access to the article see a closing date or construction start date? They are still accepting applications through into 2020....
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:27 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Wow I feel like I am really old now
Realistically the property has outlived its usable life based on property condition and ability to maintain brand assurance and guest expectations going forward
It makes sense
There is simply better options at any price
.Its been an embarrassing thorn in Hyatt's side for a Grand but a cash cow none the less with some of the highest redemption rates historically of any Hyatt Hotels system wide
There is a part of me that will be sad to see it go despite the hard bumps in the road in this rough and tumble property.
There are some fond memories too to look back on
Meeting Neil Diamond at the opening of the Jazz Singer motion picture premier and attending the star studded dinner party held at the hotel
One of the best Freddie Awards was held there.Going back down memory lane I believe it was 2005
Seeing Donald Trump and Cruz face off before the election with the FBI and their bomb sniffing dogs casing the property for protection
Nearly got run over on Lexington getting out of the car when my driver couldn't turn down 42nd street
The hotel could be quite generous at time of arrival with room upgrades for Globalists or outright stingy
I always needed to recover after a stay there from all the lines and a packed old tired elevators crammed with suitcases and travelers
Finding a seat in the club could be like winning the lottery
For value stays I will likely turn to Hilton who aggressively always had better prices than the Hyatt with one caveat no late check out
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:55 pm

From the WSJ article (behind a paywall, but I was able to read it in the Apple News app.)

The hotel is due to stay open until sometime in 2020, according to a person familiar with the matter.
could be longer than that .. it needs approval from state and city. Includes air rights from the terminal as well.

Can see a version of the article on Bloomberg ... (and I'm sure showing up on every blog on the planet real soon now.)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r-office-tower

-David
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Can only imagine what the destination fees are going to be after the reno...
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by steveholt
Can only imagine what the destination fees are going to be after the reno...
$0 for Globalists
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I found it to be useful when I needed the location and don't have any real complaints other than having my planned "roof tour" (invitation from the concierge for elites IIRC) cancelled due to high wind. I remember staying there for some event that Randy Petersen hosted and another time when elites were invited to a wine tasting on the terrace outside of the lounge (it was organized by a distributor who was hoping to get his wines into the GH's restaurant/bar).
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Definitely did a double-take when I saw the push notification on my iPhone. I have had some decent stays at the GH, though find the rooms to be quite small. Hopefully they’ll get somewhat larger with the re-do.
I expect that the rooms in the new tower will be considerably smaller on average than the current rooms st the GHNY.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Sages: Experience, observations leading to a confidence level that it will come back a Hyatt?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Pickles
About time.
Couldn’t agree more, biggest dump of a GH.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Firewind
Sages: Experience, observations leading to a confidence level that it will come back a Hyatt?
Very high. Appears to be part of the contract to which Hyatt is a party.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.