Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric (The Grand) Minneapolis REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric (The Grand) Minneapolis REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2022, 8:40 pm

Does anyone think this hotel worth a TSU for a 6-night stay? Thx
Old May 29, 2022, 8:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HALL1C
Does anyone think this hotel worth a TSU for a 6-night stay? Thx
The Grand Suite is about double the size compared to base or even other upgraded rooms.

I would weigh the chances of getting a complimentary upgrade to the suite vs. if you’d use the TSU elsewhere.

If you’re traveling solo I’d not use it and hope for the upgrade, if you’re traveling with family or a partner then I might be more inclined to use it if I don’t see getting a complimentary upgrade in the cards.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
I had an expiring Cat 1-4 certificate, so I booked a night at the Hyatt Centric for a night.
As a Globalist, I was given a couple bottles of water and an upgrade to a 2 room suite (1011).
I self parked in the Capella garage. Listed at $28 with no in and out privileges, but was covered by the hotel as I was staying on a certificate.
Breakfast was available in the lobby bar or room service.
The Globalist breakfast I was told was limited to $39 per registered guest. I did not come close, but chose room service. Still a covid-era delivery in take out containers in a brown bag with plastic utensils.
All in all a nice stay.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 12:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 11/27 to 11/28

Location: The hotel is located downtown in an area I found really sleepy. It was quiet when I arrived Sunday night and quiet when I walked a half mile up Marquette on Monday afternoon. 0.4 miles away is a Blue Line Light Rail stop which can get you to MSP in about 25 minutes. That was a nice feature to save money. There appeared to be some dining around the hotel when I looked at Google Maps but what struck me the most was how quiet downtown is.

Hotel: The hotel is an attractive older brick building that's been lovingly restored. There's a really nice lobby with lots of sitting areas and a full bar. The bar area doubles as a restaurant and there's also a snack shop and cooler full of drinks. There is no business center but the front desk printed something for me when I asked. There's a fitness center on the 3rd floor.

Check In: I'd been upgraded to a suite in advance which is good. The night auditor was not very friendly, in fact everyone I met at this hotel was unfriendly, but I got into my room. He didn't offer water or inform me about breakfast but I asked my questions and got what I needed.

Room: Definitely more of a junior suite than a natural suite but it was a lot of space. I had a coffee maker and small fridge, a huge bathroom with a good shower, a large bed with outlets next to it and a living room area and desk. The room gets very little natural light though and my view was out into an air shaft.

Dining: As a Globalist I was told I could eat in the restaurant or get room service. Service at the restaurant was bad, it took ten minutes to get noticed and I was the only one there. The oatmeal was good though.

Overall a good option for Downtown Minneapolis, I was just surprised how unfriendly everyone was.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by CMK10
Stay Report - 11/27 to 11/28

Location: The hotel is located downtown in an area I found really sleepy. It was quiet when I arrived Sunday night and quiet when I walked a half mile up Marquette on Monday afternoon. 0.4 miles away is a Blue Line Light Rail stop which can get you to MSP in about 25 minutes. That was a nice feature to save money. There appeared to be some dining around the hotel when I looked at Google Maps but what struck me the most was how quiet downtown is.

Hotel: The hotel is an attractive older brick building that's been lovingly restored. There's a really nice lobby with lots of sitting areas and a full bar. The bar area doubles as a restaurant and there's also a snack shop and cooler full of drinks. There is no business center but the front desk printed something for me when I asked. There's a fitness center on the 3rd floor.

Check In: I'd been upgraded to a suite in advance which is good. The night auditor was not very friendly, in fact everyone I met at this hotel was unfriendly, but I got into my room. He didn't offer water or inform me about breakfast but I asked my questions and got what I needed.

Room: Definitely more of a junior suite than a natural suite but it was a lot of space. I had a coffee maker and small fridge, a huge bathroom with a good shower, a large bed with outlets next to it and a living room area and desk. The room gets very little natural light though and my view was out into an air shaft.

Dining: As a Globalist I was told I could eat in the restaurant or get room service. Service at the restaurant was bad, it took ten minutes to get noticed and I was the only one there. The oatmeal was good though.

Overall a good option for Downtown Minneapolis, I was just surprised how unfriendly everyone was.
Given the service you received, doesn't seem like a very nice place.

David
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 8:26 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Just had quick stay here.

Would mostly echo previous comments -- it's an old building, a bit awkward and slightly run-down in places, though my room felt fresh and well-maintained other than the bathroom being an obviously older style. Was upgraded to a corner king before arrival, which was nice enough though definitely cozy. Was able to get a digital key and head straight to the room without having to stop at the front desk, which is nice.

But, I booked this hotel mainly for the gym, and for specific uses, this hotel gym gets an A+ from me. It has a large collection of barbells and standard weight plates plus racks that can be used for squats, deadlifts, bench presses, etc., which you very rarely see in a hotel gym. Plus dumbbells up to 100lbs (up to 50lbs being more typical). So for heavy weightlifting, it's excellent, other than that I believe there are guestrooms on floor 2 below the gym on floor 3 and their occupants probably would prefer you didn't bang around the heavy weights too much. That said, at the same time it does not have some of the standard types of equipment you might expect at a hotel gym, like pin-selected chest press, leg curl, etc. machines, so it may not be for everyone. Not to mention that the gym space is large but slightly weird and felt probably haunted.

The hotel does have access to the Skyway, though only via a flight of stairs up from the lobby with no apparent accessible routing (the Skyway stairs go to a different spot than the stairs up to floor 2 of the hotel). There is also a flight of stairs from the street to the lobby, so it's not an ideal option for anyone who has trouble with stairs or has a lot of luggage. I assume there may be some sort of bellhop assistance at times, though the lobby was pretty quiet during my stay.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 10:17 pm

Was hoping to book here for 2 nights this weekend Friday to Sunday it shows a standard room (One King Bed) is available at the standard rate.

Not understanding why I can’t book it as an award stay according to the T&C if a standard room is available at the standard rate it must also be bookable as an award stay.

Is this the hotel playing games with inventory?
Old Jun 22, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Matt4200
Was hoping to book here for 2 nights this weekend Friday to Sunday it shows a standard room (One King Bed) is available at the standard rate.

Not understanding why I can’t book it as an award stay according to the T&C if a standard room is available at the standard rate it must also be bookable as an award stay.

Is this the hotel playing games with inventory?
It does look like they are playing games with their inventory due to the Taylor Swift Concert and Pride events this weekend. The Regency is not playing games right now.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by nmoe
It does look like they are playing games with their inventory due to the Taylor Swift Concert and Pride events this weekend. The Regency is not playing games right now.
Yeah I thought it was really strange since the two Hyatt Regency properties had award availability and it’s not even peak.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 5:05 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I stayed here for a second time recently, after a first stay this past spring, and the breakfast menu has changed with significantly greater variety than what I remembered choosing from before. The old menu IIRC covered the basics but didn't have a lot variety, particularly for healthier options, so it is a welcome change. I ended up having the "Minnesota plate" each day, which is really an incredibly unusual set of offerings for breakfast, but was perfect for me as I chose this hotel in large part to be able to get a substantial weightlifting workout in at the excellent gym, and that offered an unusually good option for a healthy high-protein meal afterwards.

Otherwise it's still an old and not-that-great hotel in every other way, but for my personal criteria of Hyatt points, gym quality, and extremely specific breakfast options, it somehow might be one of my favorite hotels anywhere.

October 2023 Hyatt Centric Minneapolis breakfast menu

"Minnesota bowl" breakfast
River in Sight likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 5:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, B6 Mosaic 2, AS MVP Gold
I've been 0/2 on rebranded Hyatt Centric properties, with horrendous stays in Murano/Venice and NYC - seeing a similar trend on this one: OK but not well-maintained bones, meh service

Is it right that the Regency is probably a better move for overall quality + upgrade potential?
Old Feb 9, 2024, 8:26 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM (Former PM)
Originally Posted by skydelt
I've been 0/2 on rebranded Hyatt Centric properties, with horrendous stays in Murano/Venice and NYC - seeing a similar trend on this one: OK but not well-maintained bones, meh service

Is it right that the Regency is probably a better move for overall quality + upgrade potential?
The regency is MUCH MUCH larger. And corporate run. I have had good luck with upgrades at the Centric in the past, but the regency is better in every way except for location. There are a ton of executive suites that globalists get upgraded to at the regency. Those are on floors 3,4,5 in a different wing from the tower.

Last edited by Neric; Mar 5, 2024 at 7:30 am
Old Feb 9, 2024, 8:14 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by skydelt

Not been to the Centric but I almost always get a suite at the Regency. Location does not matter for me as I visit for work and the office is out in the suburbs so all downtown locations are equal. I like the huge gym at the regency but it seems the Centric also has a huge gym.
I do dinner off-site with work colleagues so the only staff I interact with much are the ladies at breakfast, all of whom are super
Old Apr 5, 2024, 4:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, B6 Mosaic 2, AS MVP Gold
Checked out today, had a very good stay at the Centric. It definitely fits the Centric mold of "reflagged hotel with good bones but uninvesting ownership," but the stay was perfectly good and I'd recommend it for sure.

Staff was lovely all around, the gym is excellent, and while the rooms were a little sparse despite I think a recent enough renovation, they were sparkling clean and well maintained.

​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.