Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric (The Grand) Minneapolis REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric (The Grand) Minneapolis REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2019, 4:32 pm

Info from a recent stay:
they call many rooms "suites" but they may not have a true living room with door (I used a suite upgrade, got a junior suite but they don't have them as a classification).
Food is meh. If you just want free food, sure, and their food isn't that pricey. But it isn't what anybody would call "tasty".
Until sometime next year they don't have much in terms of gym facilities. Everything is closed except a large area with some running machines, and some free weights on the side. You can go across to Crowne Plaza to use theirs but it is a pretty tiny room as well.

Also, lots of stairs, in case anybody has difficulties with taking them. From entrance outside you need to take a flight of stairs, and to go to skywalk another flight.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What brand are they currently? Also, any signs of renovations being done?
Old Dec 1, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
I stayed here last year and it was attached to a huge fitness club , indoor pool, Racket courts. Hard to imagine then taking that out or closing.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by martinplas
I stayed here last year and it was attached to a huge fitness club , indoor pool, Racket courts. Hard to imagine then taking that out or closing.
Yeah, it's the building formerly known as the Minneapolis Athletic Club. The fitness club (I forget the name) seems to occupy a couple of the lower floors of the hotel.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:32 am
Ole

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Health Club is Closed

The gym on the lower floors was a Life Time Athletic Club. It's now closed and the hotel is converting the space into ballrooms. There's now just a small room with a couple of cardio machines.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does the hotel still offer the free wine hour in the lobby like Kimpton did? I assume they are doing this until it fully becomes a Hyatt Centric at which point this will cease. Does anyone have a timeline of when this will convert to a Hyatt Centric and what renovations are currently being made?

Last edited by SkyTeam777; Dec 27, 2019 at 3:26 pm
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does the hotel still offer the free wine hour in the lobby like Kimpton did? I assume they are doing this until it fully becomes a Hyatt Centric at which point this will cease. Does anyone have a timeline of when this will convert to a Hyatt Centric and what renovations are currently being made?
They did in early 2019 and it was modest but nice, IIRC from just 5 to 6 every day of the week.

I called to ask a couple weeks ago and after first being told some improbably long hours (the person was telling me when their lobby bar is open), I established that the hotel has discontinued the practice. I don't know when the change happened.
SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
They did in early 2019 and it was modest but nice, IIRC from just 5 to 6 every day of the week.

I called to ask a couple weeks ago and after first being told some improbably long hours (the person was telling me when their lobby bar is open), I established that the hotel has discontinued the practice. I don't know when the change happened.
My stay was a month ago, they do have coupons for elites and you get a free drink at the bar on the second floor. Nothing in the lobby (no room there anyway)
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
My stay was a month ago, they do have coupons for elites and you get a free drink at the bar on the second floor. Nothing in the lobby (no room there anyway)
Interesting. This information wasn't volunteered to me by the front desk agent when I called, even after I made clear that I wasn't going to make a reservation due to this change in policy. The guy should have guessed that I was a WOH elite even though I suspect that I didn't explicitly mention my Glob status.

Is the second floor bar in the place that used to be the IIRC steak and sushi restaurant that closed almost a year ago, maybe right before some big sports event (Final Four?). It was near the entrance to the skyway.

Previously there was a small sitting area in the lobby, between the front desk and the bar/restaurant and near the fireplace. The snacks and wine were served (buffet self-service style) from a table at the far side of the front desk (near where there were newspapers in the morning) and then people naturally migrated to the various seats near the fireplace, perhaps with some overflow moving into the bar.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Interesting. This information wasn't volunteered to me by the front desk agent when I called, even after I made clear that I wasn't going to make a reservation due to this change in policy. The guy should have guessed that I was a WOH elite even though I suspect that I didn't explicitly mention my Glob status.

Is the second floor bar in the place that used to be the IIRC steak and sushi restaurant that closed almost a year ago, maybe right before some big sports event (Final Four?). It was near the entrance to the skyway.

Previously there was a small sitting area in the lobby, between the front desk and the bar/restaurant and near the fireplace. The snacks and wine were served (buffet self-service style) from a table at the far side of the front desk (near where there were newspapers in the morning) and then people naturally migrated to the various seats near the fireplace, perhaps with some overflow moving into the bar.
Sorry, not second floor. Where do they have the restaurant? That place basically. 4th?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:57 pm

The restaurant and bar are on the lobby level. It's a short flight of stairs above the street, but it would be considered the first floor. When you walk up the stairs from the sidewalk and enter the property, the front desk is way back to the right of the grand staircase and the restaurant and bar are to your immediate right as you enter, with windows facing the street. There's a fireplace and sitting area between the restaurant/bar and the front desk.

There once was a tenant restaurant on the second floor, up the elevators to the left or up the grand staircase, almost as you enter the skyway and to your right as you're facing the street. The entrance was up a couple steps. IIRC it was called Steak and Sushi and was considered good, with craft cocktails too. People were shocked when it suddenly closed, and just before some major event such as the Final Four. The last time I looked the space was empty, although it might have been possible for the hotel to use it for some special events or private dinners of the right size. A lot of the rest of the second floor was comprised of banquet and function rooms. IIRC the health club occupied floors 3 and 4 plus the basement. Rooms occupied something like floors 5 through 12 or 15. All of this is pre-renovation.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Had a quick 1 night stay here earlier this week. They are in full remodel mode with practically everything other than a temporary check-in desk closed on the ground floor. They are using a meeting room as a makeshift bar and breakfast area. We still enjoyed our stay. We were upgraded to a true 1 bedroom suite and the temporary breakfast was surprisingly decent.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by bcosinteno
Had a quick 1 night stay here earlier this week. They are in full remodel mode with practically everything other than a temporary check-in desk closed on the ground floor. They are using a meeting room as a makeshift bar and breakfast area. We still enjoyed our stay. We were upgraded to a true 1 bedroom suite and the temporary breakfast was surprisingly decent.
Do they still permit Globs to order whatever from the room service menu? I had a lovely breakfast steak with potatoes when I stayed shortly after the property became a Hyatt.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 5:38 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Grand Hotel in downtown Minneapolis getting remodel, will become a Hyatt Centric

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777

Found this, but don't have full access to the article, maybe @MSPeconomist does ?

https://www.bizjournals.com/twinciti...s-getting.html
Old Dec 18, 2020, 4:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Just checked out of Hyatt Centric Minneapolis from a 1 Night Stay as a Globalist.

Was upgraded to a Junior Suite, appeared the Hotel was at 20% or less capacity.

Overall it was an Okay stay, I wouldn’t recommend this property though. It was actually very difficult to get to, parking lot was not connected to the property at all. The room looked nice, but the mattress and pillows were a bit uncomfortable for us. On top of that around 12:30pm security showed up at our door noting it was check out time. We kindly informed them of our 4pm checkout. That was a bit strange for us as we did the online check in noting 4pm checkout and had a DND on the door.

Prior to checking in we contacted Hyatt to see what the parking situation was at this property. We were informed that it was Complimentary for Globalists during the Bonus Journeys/Free Nights on Sale promotion.

When checking out we noticed we were charged for parking, about $30. We questioned the FDA about the parking charge noting that it’s supposed to be complimentary for Globalists. FDA and another agent said they had never heard of that at all. A bit strange as this promo has been running since July and it’s now December. Luckily I had the emails from Hyatt to show them. The agent then said she would waive it as a courtesy, but would be speaking to her GM about this as they hadn’t been told anything about it. Only that they waived parking charges on “Points Stays”.

Also no Globalist Breakfast is offered due to COVID just the 500 points in place of Breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.