Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric (The Grand) Minneapolis REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist

Just noticed this property today:

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/mi...neapolis/mspct

Anyone have any info about or experiences with it? I couldn't find a thread on it.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by dpb132
Just noticed this property today:

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/mi...neapolis/mspct

Anyone have any info about or experiences with it? I couldn't find a thread on it.
Looks like the old Kimpton Grand Hotel, and it is massively more convenient than the other Hyatt's downtown. It is right next to my old company's HQ, and it would have been great if it had been a Hyatt a few years ago.

You'll likely find reviews as a Kimpton. A few colleagues stayed there and said they liked the "old quirky" style.
dpb132 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, southwest A List Preferred, American Platinum
I am scheduled to stay there in three weeks. I had no problem using my free night and a suite upgrade. Their Globalist suite looks really large. Because My daughter's family lives in Minneapolis, we go up almost once a month. I really like the Hyatt Regency as they all know us, put us in a suite every time and treat us so well. The downside to that hotel is that during the winter (which is really long and really cold) is that it isn't connected to the skyway. This previous called Kimpton hotel is, so we are going to give it a try. I will post a review when I get back.
dpb132 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
Looks like the old Kimpton Grand Hotel, and it is massively more convenient than the other Hyatt's downtown. It is right next to my old company's HQ, and it would have been great if it had been a Hyatt a few years ago.

You'll likely find reviews as a Kimpton. A few colleagues stayed there and said they liked the "old quirky" style.
That's it. Prior to being associated with Kimpton, it was an independent hotel. I worked there as Night Manager during the soft opening. The historic building originally was the Minneapolis Athletic Club. The place got gutted and rebuilt as a hotel. It's not quite a "no two rooms are the same" situation, but close. Some rooms are huge and other tiny.

I can't comment on the current hotel, as it's clearly been renovated since I worked there. I can, however, provide some insight into the building itself. Take a look at this Google Maps satellite image:

Link to Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/WrYJnk7pqkv

There are a number of rooms on the north side of the hotel (left side of the image) that at look directly into the office tower a few feet away. You can literally see office workers in their cubicles from those rooms. Those rooms are super quiet, but have next to no natural light.

There are also rooms facing a tiny atrium. In the above image, you can see two tiny skylights on the lower section of roof. That's an atrium of which a small number of rooms face. Here's a Trip Advisor photo showing just how tiny that atrium is and how close you are to guest rooms on the other side.

Link to Trip Advisor review with this image: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...ml#UR338570760

That said, the outside-facing rooms were quite nice, especially the ones on the front of the hotel on the corner looking south.
dpb132 and projectmaximus like this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joey965
I am scheduled to stay there in three weeks. I had no problem using my free night and a suite upgrade. Their Globalist suite looks really large. Because My daughter's family lives in Minneapolis, we go up almost once a month. I really like the Hyatt Regency as they all know us, put us in a suite every time and treat us so well. The downside to that hotel is that during the winter (which is really long and really cold) is that it isn't connected to the skyway. This previous called Kimpton hotel is, so we are going to give it a try. I will post a review when I get back.
This isn't exactly on topic but as an FYI, the Hyatt Regency is connected to the skyway. Admittedly, it's not a very direct route into the core of downtown but it works fine in the winter to help keep you warm. See the southern portion of the skyway map for the route to the HR Minneapolis. SkywayMyWay - Minneapolis Skyway Map - It routes you through the convention center.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:02 am
MSA

Programs: United, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
I stayed there a few weeks ago. Nice older hotel and very well located. Older rooms but large.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:24 am

So hard to get rooms adjoining or connected

Arrived here around 11pm with the wife and kids in tow. I had asked my agent to make sure that our two rooms were on the same floor and close. One room I had applied a TSU and the other was a standard 2 queen.

Guess what the rooms are on different floors!!! It's 11 and the front desk agent says she doesn't think there are any rooms on the same floor. I stand my ground and say no you need to get us rooms on the same floor at least. 20 minutes later and a call to the manager, Lo and behold there is an adjoining room to my suite magically available.

This left such a sour taste, I was already assigned to the suite (tsu) and it takes me waiting 20 minutes till the FDA gives me the adjoining room??? This is ridiculous. Hope the rest of my stay goes better.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I stayed here recently and was given a one bedroom corner suite as a Glob. There's free basic wine (and beer?) for all in the lobby every day from 5 to 6 pm, with an appetizer of the day. Glob breakfast is room service with a very generous limit. Globs are also told to take one of the big $7 bottles of water in the room.

The sushi and steak restaurant, IIRC called Rare, on the second floor closed suddenly in February; I haven't heard anything about plans to fill the space with another F&B outlet. In the meantime, the lobby bar is also a restaurant and even has a couple private (karaoke like, as one would find in some hostess bars in Asia) rooms on the side toward the back. They offer an inexpensive buffet breakfast (AKAIK all cold, but it's on a long table behind the wall behind the bar) and some lunch deals. The lobby has a fireplace (long fake as I've seen in other Hyatts) and the "famous" lion status, which I've been told will be preserved in the renovations to become a Hyatt Centric. Currently the place is quirky with some vestiges from its Minneapolis Athletic Club era (when it did have a lot of basic hotel rooms, but they might not have been bookable by the general public) as well as its Kimpton era.

Valet parking is expensive here, so it can be a decent local place to use an expiring cat 1-4 free night cert.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:43 pm

Finished my stay here and was less than impressed, as I mentioned above they gave me a hard time getting connecting rooms. Also didn't explain that i needed to order breakfast via room service for it to be comped. They never told me about the free water either. The breakfast downstairs is all cold but is decent, the room service was better but there were hiccups in that they forgot to bring many items. Lastly on checkout they had changed the rate they were charging me for my second room to make it connecting to my suite (even though I am entitled an upgrade up to a suite!).

I will stay away for sure.

Parking here is very expensive, use ParkWhiz and you can get parking for 25% the price of valet parking that's a block away.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Interesting, I was told that for Glob breakfast I could take a credit for the buffet or order from room service, with the large limit. The front desk agent encouraged me strongly to take the room service breakfast.

Also, there's a nice (free) coffee service in the lobby until pretty late in the morning.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:00 pm

Sounds like a training issue. Not sure who was right but my front desk agent very clearly told me i had to take the breakfast via room service to get my benefit. I had to negotiate on check out to get it taken off.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Interesting, I was told that for Glob breakfast I could take a credit for the buffet or order from room service, with the large limit. The front desk agent encouraged me strongly to take the room service breakfast.

Also, there's a nice (free) coffee service in the lobby until pretty late in the morning.
it seems like you are being intentionally vague about the "large/generous breakfast limit". would be helpful to people reading this if you say what that limit actually is (i realize they may waive charges in excess on a case by case basis). I'm staying next weekend for the NCAA tournament and called to see what the globalist breakfast benefit is. I was told it is $39/room (no matter how many people are staying there). considering a delivery fee for room service, that really doesnt seem all that generous. I had a $130 breakfast at Park Hyatt NYC completely covered. got 3 people in the room so maybe we can all get some scones or something
Old Apr 1, 2019, 4:26 pm

I was told $39 (for one person), which covered steak, juice, potatoes, another side, etc. Their breakfast items are priced very reasonably for room service.

However, they didn't clarify whether the $39 includes tax, delivery fee, service, etc. In my case, I was under $39 on just the food, but over including tax/delivery/service and everything was comped.

IIRC the charge for the breakfast buffet was in the $12-15 range.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
I have a 4-night work trip in Minneapolis in early June, and wondering if I should book at the Grand or at the Hyatt Regency as a Gobalist? Anyone stayed at both and have any points of differentiation?

Looks like neither property has a spa or a Club Lounge from what I can tell, but the Regency has a huge gym and an indoor pool which might sway me that way.

Thanks for any input!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:54 am

The HR has a (small) club lounge on a high floor, although it doesn't have the good city views. I like it, but it's mostly cold food. The downstairs restaurant and bar off the lobby specializes in locally sourced food and is good, although in the bar wood tables style so it wouldn't be considered fancy or fine dining.

Normal suites for upgrades at the HR are "lockoff" style one bedroom suites on high floors or junior suites (big room with bit sitting area and Murphy beds in addition to the regular bed on low floors. At the Grand, I was given a small one bedroom suite.

I liked the staff at both places and both are connected to the skyway system, although not in a way that makes it convenient to use the skyway for much, although the Grand would be better in this dimension.

The Grand has a health club too Iit's the former Minneapolis Athletic Club building). I don't know about the pool, but I don't really like the pool at the HR; IMO it just looks rather depressing.

Both places seem pretty good at elite recognition. Grand is Kimpton is style, with the wine and (single) appetizer social hour in the lobby for everyone every day, while HR shows some Frank Lloyd Wright influences and is in a newer building. Most HR rooms get lots of light and at least half have good views. Grand rooms seem dark.

I heard a rumor (from someone in the local F&B industry) that the Grand's former restaurant that closed suddenly will soon be replaced, but I don't know a date or details.

BTW, there's also a newly renovated HP downtown that's a former Embassy Suites. It has an indoor pool, health club, bar and restaurant (with more F&B choices than most HPs, including a huge breakfast area), and more of a real lobby than most HPs. I've gotten large one bedroom suites here with kitchens as a free upgrade. In fact, I suspect that this property has lots of suites. It's worth considering too IMO and is likely to be closer to a business destination in the downtown area. It's also several blocks closer to the light rail line to/from the airport.
peteropny and mixmastermark like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.