FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Best Hyatt in Tokyo for suite upgrades as Globalist? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1952840-best-hyatt-tokyo-suite-upgrades-globalist.html)

selwyn.murphy Jan 24, 2019 9:13 pm

Best Hyatt in Tokyo for suite upgrades as Globalist?

Which Hyatt in TYO would give me the best chance at getting a suite upgrade as Globalist?

I love the Andaz but I understand that they have very few suites there and the upgrades are highly restricted. Would Ginza Centric give me a better shot? Or GH?

This would be a 5 night stay if that makes a difference.

Aventine Jan 24, 2019 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by selwyn.murphy (Post 30697744)
Which Hyatt in TYO would give me the best chance at getting a suite upgrade as Globalist?

I love the Andaz but I understand that they have very few suites there and the upgrades are highly restricted. Would Ginza Centric give me a better shot? Or GH?

This would be a 5 night stay if that makes a difference.

Use your TSU for a guaranteed suite at HR, PH, Centric or GH. Being a Globalist doesn't guarantee you can show up and get a suite in Tokyo.

craigthemif Jan 25, 2019 2:21 am

Book any Hyatt in TYO and you'll know that you'll get a pretty good room and be pretty happy with your stay. Choose based on location, amenities, etc.

Book based on getting a suite and you'll just end up disappointed.

Also, +1 for just using a TSU since a 5-night stay in Tokyo is a pretty good use.

hailstorm Jan 25, 2019 5:46 am

I wouldn't say that you'd have a great chance at any of them. Not zero, but not great.

In 3 1/2 years as a Diamond, I never got a suite at any Tokyo Hyatt without using a suite upgrade cert. I did get upgraded to a suite once on an award stay at Hyatt Regency Hakone, but I specifically requested such an upgrade at check-in.

txhyattlvr Jan 25, 2019 7:42 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 30698785)
I wouldn't say that you'd have a great chance at any of them. Not zero, but not great.

In 3 1/2 years as a Diamond, I never got a suite at any Tokyo Hyatt without using a suite upgrade cert. I did get upgraded to a suite once on an award stay at Hyatt Regency Hakone, but I specifically requested such an upgrade at check-in.

To be fair, suite upgrades on arrival (no TSU required) was NOT an official benefit of Diamond status.... that came with Globalist. I spent a year as a Diamond and got maybe one suite upgrade on arrival. I get them all the time as a Globalist....

selwyn.murphy Jan 25, 2019 7:50 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 30698390)
Book any Hyatt in TYO and you'll know that you'll get a pretty good room and be pretty happy with your stay. Choose based on location, amenities, etc.

Book based on getting a suite and you'll just end up disappointed.

Right, that's how I normally do it, since that why I love the Andaz so much as previously mentioned. But for this stay I specifically need a suite due to who I'm traveling with.

I will definitely try the TSU option though. Thanks.

MasterPlanner Jan 25, 2019 11:46 am

Originally Posted by selwyn.murphy (Post 30699183)
But for this stay I specifically need a suite due to who I'm traveling with.

If this phrase was meant to pique interest then consider it successful... :)

MSPeconomist Jan 26, 2019 1:38 pm

My guess would be that PH had the best odds of being able to use a TSU for a five night stay. HR and GH don't seem to have many suites available to book, while Andaz will not give upgrades into their suites, even with TSUs. A Glob will just get a Tower view room if available.

uppereastsider Jan 26, 2019 3:26 pm

When I had a short notice 4 day stay last year in Tokyo, I was able to use a TSU for suite at the Grand Hyatt, and it's been by far my favorite use of a TSU. The PH is Zurich is a close runner up in terms of using a TSU. This year I was able to secure a suite upgrade the HR Tokyo on a 7 night stay. I'm excited to see what it'll be like, but I'm not expecting to be blown away.

I echo what everyone else is saying. If a standard suite is showing up in the list of rooms, use a TSU and book into it. You'll be glad you did. Otherwise, you should expect a nice room upgrade as a globalist (like I have at the PH and HR, 2+ room category upgrades generally from base room) and be very grateful if you do get a suite. But I wouldn't go into one expecting a complementary suite upgrade, unlike how I am at hotels I'm a regular at.

Alexsth2011 Jan 26, 2019 4:00 pm

Chiming in to add a DP, I stayed in HR and PH last year.
HR didn't even offer me any kind of minor upgrade let alone a suite but on my two night stay on PH, they apologized to me for being out of suites for first night and asked me if I wanted to move to a suite on a second day. I didn't even ask for it. Obviously, YMMV.
But if you really want it, just burn a TSU. If you kinda sorta want it, trying Prive is an option.

sam_goh Jan 26, 2019 4:50 pm

Andaz Tokyo is one of the exempt properties for suite upgrades and TSUs. They will however upgrade to a corner tower view room which is pretty spectacular. Big, spacious, wall to wall windows.

PHT has decent suites too. Pretty large for Tokyo. Service is over the top traditional Japanese. Little dated but I'd go back.

MSPeconomist Jan 26, 2019 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 30704567)
Andaz Tokyo is one of the exempt properties for suite upgrades and TSUs. They will however upgrade to a corner tower view room which is pretty spectacular. Big, spacious, wall to wall windows.

PHT has decent suites too. Pretty large for Tokyo. Service is over the top traditional Japanese. Little dated but I'd go back.

I'm not sure the Andaz still has the corner tower rooms. They weren't on the list I saw this month, and I don't just mean that they weren't available. I suspect that they've been reclassified as suites or turned into suites by using an adjoining room. I did notice a suite category that was much much cheaper than the other suites, by a factor of about four, for some random nights I checked.

skywalkerLAX Jan 26, 2019 10:28 pm

Park Hyatt Tokyo is your best bet and also best value. If a suite is important to you then I recommend using a TSU in advance especially since it's a 5 day stay.

If the location doesn't work for you then try and see if the Centric (Ginza) or Grand Hyatt (Roppongi Hills) have a suite available. I wouldn't recommend relying on status to get a suite at those two hotels especially since they don't have many. Chances are below 5% that you'll score a suite.

Aventine Jan 26, 2019 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30704581)
I'm not sure the Andaz still has the corner tower rooms. They weren't on the list I saw this month, and I don't just mean that they weren't available. I suspect that they've been reclassified as suites or turned into suites by using an adjoining room. I did notice a suite category that was much much cheaper than the other suites, by a factor of about four, for some random nights I checked.

It's become the 1 King Bed with Tower View, Deluxe or 1 King Deluxe.

princesakura Jan 27, 2019 10:10 am

Unlikely to impossible for a 5 night stay, I think. Most of my stays are one or two nights. Across dozens of stays, I've received two suite upgrades at GH and a few corner kings at Andaz. Once received an Andaz suite, but that was on my first Andaz stay, before I had any status, on an OTA booking, and I checked in around 1am.