FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Any Globalist members in London? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1952623-any-globalist-members-london.html)

abaaz Jan 23, 2019 2:55 pm

Any Globalist members in London?

Looking for globalist members in London for some work... offering a steak dinner in exchange for 15 mins of your time.

craigthemif Jan 23, 2019 3:37 pm

LOL. Fishing for a Guest of Honor booking somewhere nice?

Markie Jan 23, 2019 11:25 pm

Yes, I am in London

CloudCoder Jan 26, 2019 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by abaaz (Post 30692086)
Looking for globalist members in London for some work... offering a steak dinner in exchange for 15 mins of your time.

I live (well, I have a house ... mostly I'm a road warrior) a short distance from London.

craigthemif Jan 27, 2019 2:41 am

Originally Posted by CloudCoder (Post 30705208)
I live (well, I have a house ... mostly I'm a road warrior) a short distance from London.

I thought Markie and I were the only 2 European Globalists! :D

59Impala Jan 27, 2019 5:03 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 30705570)

nope :D
aiming for LT Glob this year.

what is the intention of this thread? :confused: We could start a thread for each city in the world :D

craigthemif Jan 27, 2019 6:03 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala (Post 30705768)

what is the intention of this thread? :confused:

The OP wants somebody to do a Guest of Honor for him.

Understandably it's an easier discussion in person than with some random person over the internet.

Personally I've used GoH and the recipients are very appreciative. But I don't abuse it and just stick to close friends and family...

CloudCoder Jan 28, 2019 3:58 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 30705570)

I live in England (since about a year) but work in Texas (for maybe 10 more years). it's a good situation if you like to travel, LOL :)

I was not contacted by the OP, but I probably wouldn't do a GOH reservation for a stranger. The risk / reward ratio is infinitely high. There's a slight risk of running afoul of Hyatt Terms and Conditions and getting banned from the program. Reward is likely zero ... but if the reward is non-zero then the risk increases exponentially.

I believe that all Globalist benefits are available for purchase. If you want them, buy them. If you want them "free", stay 55 nights. It's probably cheaper to buy the benefits.

craigthemif Jan 28, 2019 5:18 am

Originally Posted by CloudCoder (Post 30709267)

I believe that all Globalist benefits are available for purchase. If you want them, buy them. If you want them "free", stay 55 nights. It's probably cheaper to buy the benefits.

I believe so too. Hyatt Prive covers paid stays. You can spend points on Club rooms and suites as well as standard rooms. Hotels are always happy to sell you breakfast...

abaaz Jan 29, 2019 2:54 am

The terms for guest of honor and gifting awards are pretty clearly stated on the Hyatt website. I'm not sure how Hyatt plans to determine who is a friend and who is a stranger. I think as long as the Globalist member is comfortable gifting an award for another person.... (added bonus if they've met in person and are technically 'friends') then there is no risk of running afoul of the program.

(m) Guest of Honor: If a Globalist gifts a Free Night Award to another party in accordance with these Terms, the recipient will be treated as a “Guest of Honor” at the applicable hotel or resort. This means that the recipient will receive all In-hotel Benefits that would have been provided to the Globalist, had (s)he redeemed the award him- or herself at the applicable hotel or resort. Gifting of an award is subject to the limitations and restrictions set forth in the Gifting an Award section of these Terms. Guest of Honor benefits are available only for gifted awards that are redeemed at a Park Hyatt, Miraval, Grand Hyatt, Hyatt Regency, Hyatt, Andaz, Hyatt Centric, The Unbound Collection by Hyatt, Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, Hyatt Ziva or Hyatt Zilara hotel or resort. Not valid at Hyatt Residence Club resorts or any M life Rewards destination.

13. Gifting an Award. Members may request that certain awards be issued to another person. Free Night Awards, certain Room Upgrade Awards, and Points + Cash Awards are currently eligible to be gifted to another person, as permitted under this provision. Explorist Club Lounge Access Awards (defined in Appendix C), Complimentary Suite Upgrade Awards (defined in Appendix C), and non-stay awards (such as Dining, Spa and More Awards) are currently not eligible for gifting. In order to gift an award that is allowed to be gifted in the Program, a Member must comply with the following requirements:

A. The Award Reservation must be made by the Member who wishes to gift the award, but the reservation must be made in the name of the person who will actually use the award (i.e., the recipient of the gifted award).

B. The recipient of the award must provide photo identification and a credit card or cash deposit for incidentals at check-in.

C. Once an Award Reservation has been made, the reservation may not be transferred. The reservation may only be used by the person whose name appears on the reservation. The reservation may be cancelled in accordance with the applicable hotel, resort, or other participating property’s cancellation policy, in which event the points for the award will be returned to the account of the Member who made the reservation.

D. Gifting of an award does not include the transfer of Program membership benefits, except where otherwise detailed in these Terms. For clarification, and without limiting any other provision in these Terms, Guest of Honor benefits (as described in Appendix C) apply only when a Globalist gifts a Free Night Award and not to any gift of a Room Upgrade Award or Points + Cash Award.

craigthemif Jan 29, 2019 5:59 am

Originally Posted by CloudCoder (Post 30709267)
Reward is likely zero ... but if the reward is non-zero then the risk increases exponentially.

Originally Posted by abaaz (Post 30713419)
The terms for guest of honor and gifting awards are pretty clearly stated on the Hyatt website. I'm not sure how Hyatt plans to determine who is a friend and who is a stranger. I think as long as the Globalist member is comfortable gifting an award for another person.... (added bonus if they've met in person and are technically 'friends') then there is no risk of running afoul of the program.

Nobody is gifting a stranger their points, even after meeting up for a pint or a meal.

So the question is how you compensate the Globalist for the points they would spend to book a GoH. Is it transferring points to their account? In which case it would be rather obvious what was going on. Is it paying an agreed cash amount? Even if the cash option never comes to the attention of Hyatt, I think you'll find that many Globalists would rather not play games with a status they are keen to retain.

Cityguy1 Jan 29, 2019 2:13 pm

I'm a Glob in London!

abaaz Jan 29, 2019 10:40 pm

I would think both are valid options although personally I’d prefer to transfer points as paying cash would mean the member is selling their free nights.

Again, I suspect if this happens enough Hyatt may add clarifying language to the T&C but as of now there is nothing that states can this is a violation of their rules.

If you’re having a pint and a meal with someone, that’s enough to call them a friend for the purposes of this benefit.

craigthemif Jan 30, 2019 1:49 am

I guess you don't see the poor optics of:
  • receive X points from Person A
  • immediately spend X points on Guest of Honor booking for Person A
You might note that the word "gift" is mentioned throughout the T&Cs. It's not really a gift if none of the points truly come from your account.

But anyhow, I'll stop giving you a hard time. Good luck with your search for a Globalist willing to do something that some of us won't...

abaaz Jan 30, 2019 2:49 pm

Terms and conditions are not based on optics, but rather clearly stipulated rules. In this situation I don’t see how making a GOH booking for someone and then having points transferred into your account is in violation of any of Hyatt’s T&C.

You’ve made your point multiple times about how “some of us” won’t do this. Several globalists have messaged me directly and offered to help out - so that’s one of you for at least three who seem to interpret the rules correctly.

nothing personal and no offense intended.