Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Quick question was breakfast at Norma's? I am told its quite the spot.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by avm2806
yes!!
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Now that Lord & Taylor has gone out of business I have little reason to book the Andaz on 5th Avenue anymore... I have always liked Parker Meridien, and am glad to see other SPG defectors like myself embracing themselves in the arms of Hyatt....
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by avm2806
It's a nice place for a Sunday brunch in NYC even if you are not staying there BUT I do think it is a tad overrated and definitely overpriced. Breakfast/Brunch for 2 will set you back over a $100! If you want to go on the weekends I would not suggest trying to do so without a reservation. Even with a reservation we waited on a table.

https://www.parkernewyork.com/media/...nd_2015_r1.pdf
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.9 MM; HH Diamond; Bonvoy Platinum; WOH Discoverist
Originally Posted by travelerp
I DM'd Hyatt Concierge since I was thinking about staying here next month. They confirmed that it is for now a Hyatt affiliated hotel at which one can earn and redeem points but no globalist benes to speak of - and that it will be a hyatt brand in the future. Also, even globalists will be charged the destination fee - per what they messaged me - no breakfast benes as of now.
I'm Globalist and stayed here for one night a few weeks ago. This is perfectly located for me, and I can't typically justify staying at the Park Hyatt. I just looked at my bill, and they did charge the destination fee.

Didn't need late checkout so didn't ask about it, and it wasn't offered. They implied that breakfast would be complimentary, which agrees with one or two other comments I've seen here, but I didn't need to eat there. I'd booked the cheapest room they had, and got an upgrade to a junior suite or some similar description, on a high floor.

The property feels tired, but it wasn't so bad that I was put off. And lots of other Hyatts in NYC feel tired or are starting to feel tired. (Grand Hyatt, Andaz Wall St., etc.)

One odd detail, the receipt provided via my account online comes on Hyatt House letterhead.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:05 pm

Just checked out of here. Very disappointing on all fronts, except beautiful lobby and good location. This will pretty much mirror what I'll write on Tripadvisor.
Specified in reservation that I am noise sensitive, and please not near elevator or staff door. Room assigned was right next to BOTH the elevator and staff door (although was upgraded room - Junior Suite). As soon as I closed the door to enter the room, I heard the extremely loud elevator motor/wind noise. Cannot believe how loud it was. Anyway, I called down to remind them of my request. They informed me that in order to upgrade me to the JS, the room would be near the elevator. I told them I did not care about the size of the room. Ability to sleep is more important to me. Brought me new keys. Went to new room - AGAIN right next to elevator and again a Junior Suite. Went down to try to explain in person. Front desk clerk could not comprehend that I do not need a Junior Suite. She just kept going back and forth with me saying, "But if you want a Junior Suite you have to be near the elevator", and I kept saying, "I don't want a Junior Suite, then. Downgrade me even from what I booked (slightly upgraded room). I don't care." Eventually she gave me another set of keys which was down the hall a bit more. Another Junior Suite, but that's beside the point. What I eventually figured out is that it doesn't matter where the room is located. The elevator noise is SO loud, that there's no escaping it. I'm shocked that nobody has commented on this. It's possible that it had to do with the wind outside on these days? Not sure. But I can't stay there again for this reason alone. I ended up trying 5 different rooms.

Also common to the 5 rooms is that the beds were very uncomfortable. Springs poking through, and crappy sheets. Was not expecting this after some of the good reviews.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That sounds pretty bad. I was thinking I might give this place a shot soon, but maybe not. Quiet is pretty essential for me too.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:47 am

I thought I would mention just a few things about my stay at the Parker New York. I was able to check in a couple of hours early, received an upgrade to a junior suite (just like in the old days of the SPG program), and received a 4 pm checkout and breakfast at Norma's. The one annoying thing was that they charged a destination fee (which I only figured out from the bill that was subsequently e-mailed), so I had to send a direct message to @HyattConcierge on Twitter to ask for that charge to be reversed. It (eventually) was.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:45 am

Edit: My attempt to embed pictures got really messed up. I'll try again.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:56 am

This hotel charges a significant ($38 per day) destination fee without clearly disclosing it - deceptively, in my view.

For comparison, here's how other hotels in New York (and everywhere else in the Hyatt system, as far as I'm aware) disclose their destination fees. It gets its own line in the rate options page before you get to any of the actual rates:

The Parker, on the other hand, doesn't say a peep about destination fees, either in the general landing page or within the specific rate rules:

In fact, it doesn't show the destination fee at all until the payment page, where you have to click on the "Taxes and Fees" drop-down section that's collapsed by default. Every other tax or fee listed is government-imposed, but the last item is a large destination fee:

The only reason I noticed this was that I travel to New York regularly enough to see that the taxes and fees seemed way too high for this room rate. I actually cancelled my reservation once I saw that they had hidden a destination fee there, even though I liked this hotel a lot when it was in SPG and was looking forward to returning. I don't plan on staying here until the hotel either gets rid of its destination fee (unlikely, I know) or discloses it properly.
jmanirish and soartoday like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
The Parker’s business “practices” have been well documented for years. Unsurprising this hasn’t changed.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:46 am

Going berserk over what appears to be an IT glitch/issue isn’t very productive. Send a note to Hyatt and I bet it get fixed quickly: the destination fee will display just as it does at every other Hyatt w/one.

And at least Hyatt waives them for award stays AND Globalists.... that’s more than any other chain.
yoganeck likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:00 pm

no renos on the rooms still right?
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHoners Gold, SPG Gold, National ExecElite, Hertz PC, Avis First
I would stay here often as a SPG/Plat since it was one of the few SPG notes on NYC for which we had a corporate rate. Upgrades were good (typically to junior suites, which are quite spacious,) but the breakfast benefit was lousy.

Just checked into the hotel as a Hyatt Globalist and I was upgraded to a true suite, but the real surprise is free breakfast at Normas! Terrific!

I was born and raised in NYC and the decor has a distinct vibe which I’ve always liked—shabby shic or not.
Boraxo and dc_traveler like this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:51 am

Does anyone have experience requesting late checkout (2 pm) as a Discoverist member? My understanding is it should be honored, but I wonder about actual experiences.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.