Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Thompson Central Park New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:40 am

Stayed one night. The premium internet described above wasn't working, instead I chose Guest access and was pulling down about 65mbps so no issues there lol. Hotel was HOT, I had all 3 windows in my room open which probably cooled it down to 65 like I like it (it was about 30 outside). I think if I had been there during the recent warm spell I might have switched hotels. I was upgraded to a Junior Suite High Floor at check-in, Central Park Suites were sold out. Breakfast at Norma's was good, I tip 20% after tax and had $4 gratuity show up on bill, I didn't bother asking about it because I didn't care. They did charge me $25 + tax for an umbrella I never borrowed, I'm guessing the FD charged it to the wrong room.. didn't have much of an issue getting it removed but the guy didn't sound like he believed me lol. Got 4pm check-out, when I returned at 3:30pm they had checked me out by accident and my keys wouldn't work, had to get security to let me in, not huge deal but I got 3 sets of keys from the FD and none worked before security finally let me in. I had a really low room rate so none of this bothered me. Destination fee was waived without asking.

I will definitely be returning to the hotel. Biggest issue for me was really the heat, if my room didn't have 3 windows I literally would've used my Chase IHG night at the Kimpton Eventi and just eaten the rate here.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$25 to borrow an umbrella? That is highway robbery.
lsquare, IAD_flyer and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
I do agree it was warm in the room. Had the windows open all weekend. Ate at Normas 3 mornings in a row I just dont get it. Very expensive, average food and slow service
I would never pay the $110-$125 for 2 that our bill was every day sure glad it was free 😁
Old Mar 3, 2020, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
$25 to borrow an umbrella? That is highway robbery.
For sure! I'm pretty sure I can buy an umbrella or two at that price.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
Checked in today and used my suite upgrade and have the Central Park suite. As others have described its definitely like stepping back to the late 90s/early 2000s with room decor but honestly its not that bad. Got a $133 rate so no complaints!
A few data points :
-globalist breakfast is for 2 at Normas. I confirmed with 2 front desk folks you order and just sign your bill no set limit
-the pool is closed and wont reopen. They are building condos on the top few levels
-they are about to start a complete renovation and after its done it will become a Thompson brand. No timeline yet

Its sure not the Andaz but its not as bad as some described. I would come back for any rate under $250 again
So basically it's all you can eat at the restaurant? I'm not familiar with the building, but is the top currently occupied by the Parker or they're just adding additional floors and sell it as luxury condos?

Someone in another thread said this will be the flagship Thompson in New York? If so, I'm guessing the pricing will be similar to Park Hyatt New York?

Given the fact that the hotel looks a bit old, why would you say it's worth staying for $250 or less?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 11:18 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Not sure this was posted upthread, but while going through this article, it seems that the renovation of the hotel will break it down into these components:
  • A selection of condos in the uppermost portion of the building, with 48 "affordably priced" between 1.5 to 2.5 million USD around 400/500 square feet and up, as well as two rooftop condos with outdoor hot tubs for 20 million
  • Interestingly, we'll all see a 500-key four-star hotel...
  • ...and a 130-key four-and-a-half star hotel
I didn't know that the renovation would yield two hotels. I'd assume that the planned Thompson Central Park will be the smaller of the two properties, but what are your takes on the 500-key property?

khabah
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by khabah
Not sure this was posted upthread, but while going through this article, it seems that the renovation of the hotel will break it down into these components:
  • A selection of condos in the uppermost portion of the building, with 48 "affordably priced" between 1.5 to 2.5 million USD around 400/500 square feet and up, as well as two rooftop condos with outdoor hot tubs for 20 million
  • Interestingly, we'll all see a 500-key four-star hotel...
  • ...and a 130-key four-and-a-half star hotel
I didn't know that the renovation would yield two hotels. I'd assume that the planned Thompson Central Park will be the smaller of the two properties, but what are your takes on the 500-key property?

khabah
Most likely tommie - since several of the new Thompsons will be dual Thompson and tommie properties.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 10:41 pm

I was messaging with the hotel last night, and they told me that they started renovations in March when the hotel initially closed down during the first wave of COVID. They're still planning to launch as Thompson's flagship hotel in 2021, although they don't know when in the year it'll be. I asked if the plan was to split the building into two hotels, but they said the plan is to have it be all Thompson with an "elevated product" on the upper floors, and separate condos at the top of the building.

Not sure what an elevated Thompson product might look like - perhaps a 'club level' of sorts without an explicit lounge but bigger rooms, better views and an open living/communal area with drinks and such.

khabah
Old Nov 13, 2020, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by bcosinteno
Most likely tommie - since several of the new Thompsons will be dual Thompson and tommie properties.
This is going to be the Thompson brand's flagship hotel, the location is awesome.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 6:56 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I wonder if they will keep the Parker name in any way. Are they still owned by the same people who owned the Parker Meridien at this point?
Old Nov 15, 2020, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by cfabar1
I wonder if they will keep the Parker name in any way. Are they still owned by the same people who owned the Parker Meridien at this point?
The hotel was sold to a new ownership group in 2019, it's the same group that owns the Beekman hotel downtown. If this is going to be Thompson hotel I doubt they'll keep the Parker name but I don't know for sure. Either way I'm looking forward to the refresh.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Tonyr4
The hotel was sold to a new ownership group in 2019, it's the same group that owns the Beekman hotel downtown.
Good news, that's a well run property. This could be the new first choice in midtown.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by cfabar1
Originally Posted by Tonyr4
The hotel was sold to a new ownership group in 2019, it's the same group that owns the Beekman hotel downtown. If this is going to be Thompson hotel I doubt they'll keep the Parker name but I don't know for sure. Either way I'm looking forward to the refresh.
According to this press release that Hyatt issued in January 2020, the hotel will be renamed Thompson New York - Central Park.

khabah
Old Apr 27, 2021, 6:45 am

Just had my mid-October reservation canceled. The email states that they are suspending all operations until October 31st, 2021.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Kman0010
Just had my mid-October reservation canceled. The email states that they are suspending all operations until October 31st, 2021.
I wonder if this has to do with their renovation and rebrand to Thompson? The hotel told me a few months ago that they'd already begun renovating and planned to rebrand later this year, but I haven't found any info anywhere about it and they haven't been responsive to my inquiries over the last few months when I'd ask for updates.

I hope they're going to use the closure to fast-track the works and reopen by November as Thompson New York - Central Park.

khabah
Kacee likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.