Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Restrictions on Suite Upgrades Beyond Published T&Cs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Restrictions on Suite Upgrades Beyond Published T&Cs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
I've had this issue at some properties that are terrible with upgrades. Ironically, the fact that they don't automatically upgrade other Globalists means that I get to argue the standard suite is available.

Anyway, all the advice above about reaching out via customer service channels is appropriate. I've been able to get help from phone agents contacting the hotel and asserting the terms.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titainum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by 59Impala
Just accept it.
Suite Upgrades have a different inventory than "Suites for Sale". There is no obligation for a hotel to give the suite, even though it shows up for sale. it's a different situation at check-in, but not for the use of TSU.
This is NOT true at all. Andaz Papagayo tried to do this, so Hyatt corporate was contacted regarding this. They contacted hotel and told them they have to apply the TSU because if a standard suite is available, it can be upgraded into. Got an email from a manager at Andaz who apologized for the misunderstand (hah!) and told me the TSU has been applied.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: Hyatt GP Diamond
Originally Posted by 59Impala
Just accept it.
Suite Upgrades have a different inventory than "Suites for Sale". There is no obligation for a hotel to give the suite, even though it shows up for sale. it's a different situation at check-in, but not for the use of TSU.
Curious what your perception of the situation is at check-in. Are you saying the property is obligated to give an upgrade if the suite is available for sale upon check- in?

I’ve had mostly good experiences with upgrades at check in, but the T&C seem to give the hotel an out with the “up to” wording.

From the Globalist T&C:
  • Enjoy an upgraded room based on availability at check-in, up to standard suites
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:18 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by gunksny

Curious what your perception of the situation is at check-in. Are you saying the property is obligated to give an upgrade if the suite is available for sale upon check- in?

I’ve had mostly good experiences with upgrades at check in, but the T&C seem to give the hotel an out with the “up to” wording.

From the Globalist T&C:
  • Enjoy an upgraded room based on availability at check-in, up to standard suites
upon checkin is a different case IMO. Yes, if the standard suite is available for sale then it should be given to a Glob.

my understanding of „up to“ is that nothing higher than standard suites will be assigned. But good point of yours, it could be a „way out for the hotel“... never thought of it that way.

update: just took screenshot from the app. actually it says an upgrade to standard suite at checkin.
so "up to" would mean starting with suite and then going down the categories, whatever is available I'd say.

Last edited by 59Impala; Feb 9, 2019 at 4:52 am Reason: update with jpg
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:49 am

Ah thanks. I had thought the policy was to upgrade Globalists to standard suites at check in if available. Interestingly, I have an upcoming stay where they are insisting all the standard suites are already committed, yet I see them available online through the booking app. I'm hoping they are just keeping them them saleable until check in but I thought it a bit strange they are already saying they aren't available.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gunksny
Ah thanks. I had thought the policy was to upgrade Globalists to standard suites at check in if available. Interestingly, I have an upcoming stay where they are insisting all the standard suites are already committed, yet I see them available online through the booking app. I'm hoping they are just keeping them them saleable until check in but I thought it a bit strange they are already saying they aren't available.
Sounds like they're playing games.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Sounds like they're playing games.
Agree. I really dislike being put in the position of having the uncomfortable conversation at check in. It would be nice if everyone just adhered to the posted T&C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.