Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Question for Explorists - Do you ever get upgraded?

Question for Explorists - Do you ever get upgraded?

Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:24 am

I've been upgraded as a Discoverist on several occasions. Most recently, I used points to stay at an HH property in Charlotte near Christmas. I reserved a 1BR suite and at check in was upgraded to a 2BR suite. Wish I had known that prior to check in, my parents had a separate reservation that we could have canceled.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by szehui
I've been upgraded as a Discoverist on several occasions. Most recently, I used points to stay at an HH property in Charlotte near Christmas. I reserved a 1BR suite and at check in was upgraded to a 2BR suite. Wish I had known that prior to check in, my parents had a separate reservation that we could have canceled.
Technically, there are no upgrades at HH or HP in WoH. You probably got “upgraded” as an inventory matter and/or because you didn’t actually need it (e.g., reservation for one).
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Andaz London - pre-upgraded to largest non suite (thanks to my very helpful Prive agent as well!)
Prive comes with a pre-upgrade, so really not relevant to this discussion, which is about upgrades based on status.

When I get an upgrade on an FHR rate, I don't attribute that to Explorist.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MarkOK
... Not a lot of datapoints, but the four stays I had with Hyatt as a member pre-Discoverist, I was given a very sorry room in each and every case (not just a bottom floor base level room, but one that would also face the air conditioning units or a blank wall or was located right next to an exterior door that shut with a loud slam anytime someone used it). I think the FT community is mostly disconnected from the reality that most any hotel has a fair quantity of these types of room. ...
+1 to the bolded above. I stayed last year at the Holiday Inn Austin Town Lake where I have Platinum (mid-tier) status. Got an upgraded river-view room on a high floor. As I was waiting for the elevator from that floor, there was a view of IH-35, and for floors lower down, one would also have to look past the A/C and other low rooftop equipment to even look at the highway. It occurred to me how many truly crappy rooms there are in hotels. I haven't had to experience them in many years because of at least low-level status where I stay.

And since this a thread about Hyatt upgrades, we have always gotten *something* for Explorist status. Usually high floor with some type of view. Never a suite. But just for comparison - my previous trip to Austin last year was at the Hyatt Regency, also on the river. We were denied a request for a river-view room without paying for the upgrade. We did get a higher floor and at least didn't face the parking garage. (although come to think of it, I think we faced another building's parking garage. Anyway we were not in Austin to enjoy the view from the room, but river-view would have been nice).
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:49 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by Kacee
Prive comes with a pre-upgrade, so really not relevant to this discussion, which is about upgrades based on status.

When I get an upgrade on an FHR rate, I don't attribute that to Explorist.
With a multicategory upgrade beyond T&Cs I'm inclined to believe Explorist got me some pull, but I don't doubt my very helpful and awesome Prive agent's abilities either.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Technically, there are no upgrades at HH or HP in WoH. You probably got “upgraded” as an inventory matter and/or because you didn’t actually need it (e.g., reservation for one).
There's no upgrade policy for HH/HP because the vast majority of properties don't have something to upgrade people to.

As far as Explorist Upgrades, I got a corner room at the Centric Chicago Loop, and a high floor room at the Centric Arlington/Rosslyn despite being booked through a CC portal (no points or stay credit, obv).
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by captaink
There's no upgrade policy for HH/HP because the vast majority of properties don't have something to upgrade people to.
I know. My point was that being assigned a two-bedroom at a HH isn’t really an upgrade.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Thanks, but all I'm seeing for Explorists is:
Upgrade to best room, excluding suites

I'm sure this is codified but it does require a bit of digging.
Not necessarily under the "Explorist" section, but rather under the "Discoverist" section, which partially covers MSPeconomist's explanation.

Preferred room within type booked - Subject to availability, Discoverist members will be offered a preferred room at time of check-in at Hyatt hotels and resorts. Preferred rooms are determined by each hotel or resort and include rooms on higher floors, corner rooms, or rooms with more appealing views. Preferred rooms are rooms within the same room type booked by the member; they are not a “price point” upgrade in room type or category. Not offered at Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, or Hyatt Residence Club hotels and resorts, Oasis homes, or M life Rewards destinations.

So reading between the lines, anything above the room type you booked, but is not a suite, is something that is open for an Explorist upgrade that a Discoverist would not get.

Getting back on topic, I've been moved to separate bedroom HHs and full-kitchen HHs when I booked just a standard room as Explorist. Also moved from standard room to much larger corner room at an HR.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
in Sept 2018 got upgraded to view room at Hyatt Regency Amsterdam as Explorist.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob
I've been upgraded as Explorist many times. In August 2018, I booked 2 base rooms on points (for 5 nights) at the HR Maui, and they upgraded both of them to ocean front (I didn't ask). I agree with other posters comments that experiences vary by property, and also by seasonality/hotel capacity (i.e. I'm sure the HR Maui wouldn't have upgraded me if I were staying over Christmas).
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
We've received much better rooms than we've booked and suites as well.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was one in 2017, the best I got was a King instead of a Queen at a Hyatt Centric.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
I've gotten okay rooms, but never anything that I would consider a special one. I got a room facing the back garden with concrete fence once at the Grand Hyatt Bali and I was pretty upset so they moved me to a partial ocean view room. Other than that, I've always just accepted whatever room they offer me. The problem with the Explorist status is that when I'm traveling for leisure, I sometimes like to stay at a nicer hotel, like the Park Hyatt, but you don't really get much in the way of tangible benefits.

One small change for the Explorist status could be to offer breakfast at all brands, and continue to offer limited club upgrade certificates. This will bring it on par with Marriott and Hilton mid tier and make the status so much more valuable.
DH likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:24 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SP03
I've gotten okay rooms, but never anything that I would consider a special one. I got a room facing the back garden with concrete fence once at the Grand Hyatt Bali and I was pretty upset so they moved me to a partial ocean view room. Other than that, I've always just accepted whatever room they offer me. The problem with the Explorist status is that when I'm traveling for leisure, I sometimes like to stay at a nicer hotel, like the Park Hyatt, but you don't really get much in the way of tangible benefits.

One small change for the Explorist status could be to offer breakfast at all brands, and continue to offer limited club upgrade certificates. This will bring it on par with Marriott and Hilton mid tier and make the status so much more valuable.
Except that the free breakfast everywhere perk is a Globalist thing. They could have just coded all Explorists to get Club Access, but no Club Room upgrade. That way they could sell the club rooms for more $$ but keep Explorists happy. But, guess not....
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by izzik
Except that the free breakfast everywhere perk is a Globalist thing. They could have just coded all Explorists to get Club Access, but no Club Room upgrade. That way they could sell the club rooms for more $$ but keep Explorists happy. But, guess not....
Well globalist also get free parking, suite upgrade, and lounge access. I don’t see how giving explorists breakfast takes away anything from globalists.

Hilton and Marriott all offer breakfast to mid tiers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.