Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Globalists should avoid Grand Hyatt Singapore (No restaurant breakfast offered)

Globalists should avoid Grand Hyatt Singapore (No restaurant breakfast offered)

Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:07 am
THR

The unedited post. One star rating too ...:

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowU...Singapore.html
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by THR
The unedited post. One star rating too ...:

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowU...Singapore.html
Looking up his reviews, they do tend to be 5 star, so I tend to believe him when he claims he doesn't just complain all the time. I guess this is just an unfortunate lapse in judgement.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORD_UA1K
............... since most of my Hyatt stays are booked through a corporate TMC ..........
Many corporate rates includes breakfasts in restaurants. You may want to book all your stays through them.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
Wait, what? You dont always get pre-approval when you do this and just show up at GH restaurants and expect them to comp breakfasts? To me that is a brazen move. Sorry but I really find this out of line.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
I don't understand either what the OP is complaining about - the T&Cs do not provide for breakfast in the restaurant. That said, and I am not a fan of the GH Singapore for many reasons, they have consistently offered me (and at times demanded) I take my breakfast in the restaurant as opposed to the lounge since the lounge was packed. I have also found the hotel very responsive when there are issues, so not sure why management did not resolve the issue with the OP.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Wow. Glad to see such passionate engagement on a post I thought would gather a paltry number of eyeballs, but apparently I poked a bear. So, to clarify:

1) I understand the Grand Hyatt Singapore's policy on breakfast for Globalists, which is compliant with the Hyatt corporate standard. I get that. It is also inferior vs. my experience at every other GH I stayed at in 2018, especially in Asia -- let alone SPG hotels where I have equivalent Premier Platinum status.
2) I have not demanded to speak to a manager or raised a fuss about breakfast at the main restaurant anywhere else. It has either been proactively offered or I just showed up at the main restaurant and have been seated with my companions, no questions asked. GH Singapore was the first property we were specifically turned away.
3) In my view, Singapore is one of the culinary capitals of the world. Straits Kitchen represents the country's diversity well. The GH Club Lounge barely attempts to showcase Singapore, with emphasis on an egg station -- which I can get in any city in the world -- than Singapore's magnificent diversity. I care about that. Some of you don't value this, and I respect that too.
4) The staff at the GH Singapore Club are great. It's not their fault that the property decided the hotel will focus on adherence to policy rather than competitiveness with peers (unlike GH's elsewhere in Asia). Flyertalk members who're A-OK with this should obviously do what fits their buyer values. I will do the same (and avoid GH Singapore as a result).
5) Going forward, my decisions are simple. I can either stay at a Singapore property that offers me what I care about, or not. So I will keep my business to the Andaz (stayed at the Singapore location 6 times in 2018), Ritz Carlton, or Westin, Starts with my business trip in mid-January.
6) Information on the Prive rate -- which I was not aware of, since most of my Hyatt stays are booked through a corporate TMC -- was very helpful. Thank you to all who informed me about that possibility.
Boundless arrogance, all encompassing sense of entitlement, and complete and utter ignorance - a potent combination.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by SethLevy
I have also found the hotel very responsive when there are issues, so not sure why management did not resolve the issue with the OP.
The hotel sent him a bottle of whisky for his completely made up and totally inappropriate complaint.

They were way, way too responsive to this complaint.
NJNY and 59Impala like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wilbur and rwm818 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:06 am

Curious though - and I suspect the OP has been scared off by this virtual tar and feathering - how do you go about getting the "eat in the restaurant option" over 80% of the time at hotels WITH club lounges? Is there a secret password? Are you emailing in advance? Seriously just asking at the front desk and they say yes? Complaining? If there's a nice, respectful way to do it (outside of Prive) and get a yes 80% of the time I'd love to know....

On the Prive side of things, Hyatt is paying the Prive agents a commission AND is giving customers a bunch of perks. Seems intuitive that there'd be a way to get the perks without using the agent. Win/Win when Hyatt doesn't pay the commission and we still get the perks being offered (at the same rate, of course).. Too bad we can't do that through our own Concierges.....
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
how do you go about getting the "eat in the restaurant option" over 80% of the time at hotels WITH club lounges?
You book a rate through your corporate TA which includes breakfast.

You then assume the property is acknowledging your importance by granting you extra privileges, and throw a hissy fit when GH Singapore follows the rules.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Wow. Glad to see such passionate engagement on a post I thought would gather a paltry number of eyeballs, but apparently I poked a bear. So, to clarify:

1) I understand the Grand Hyatt Singapore's policy on breakfast for Globalists, which is compliant with the Hyatt corporate standard. I get that. It is also inferior vs. my experience at every other GH I stayed at in 2018, especially in Asia -- let alone SPG hotels where I have equivalent Premier Platinum status.
2) I have not demanded to speak to a manager or raised a fuss about breakfast at the main restaurant anywhere else. It has either been proactively offered or I just showed up at the main restaurant and have been seated with my companions, no questions asked. GH Singapore was the first property we were specifically turned away.
3) In my view, Singapore is one of the culinary capitals of the world. Straits Kitchen represents the country's diversity well. The GH Club Lounge barely attempts to showcase Singapore, with emphasis on an egg station -- which I can get in any city in the world -- than Singapore's magnificent diversity. I care about that. Some of you don't value this, and I respect that too.
4) The staff at the GH Singapore Club are great. It's not their fault that the property decided the hotel will focus on adherence to policy rather than competitiveness with peers (unlike GH's elsewhere in Asia). Flyertalk members who're A-OK with this should obviously do what fits their buyer values. I will do the same (and avoid GH Singapore as a result).
5) Going forward, my decisions are simple. I can either stay at a Singapore property that offers me what I care about, or not. So I will keep my business to the Andaz (stayed at the Singapore location 6 times in 2018), Ritz Carlton, or Westin, Starts with my business trip in mid-January.
6) Information on the Prive rate -- which I was not aware of, since most of my Hyatt stays are booked through a corporate TMC -- was very helpful. Thank you to all who informed me about that possibility.
5) I've never been invited to take breakfast in the restaurant instead of in the lounge at the Westin Singapore. It's not a benefit of SPG or Starriott status. Nor is even lounge access at RCs a MR or Starriott elite program benefit (even for PPwith AMB) although IIRC the Singapore RC doesn't participate in the program at all. Finally, I find the location of the Andaz to be inconvenient. YMMV.

Perhaps OP has been generally booking a corporate rate that includes breakfast without knowing it.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SethLevy
I don't understand either what the OP is complaining about - the T&Cs do not provide for breakfast in the restaurant. That said, and I am not a fan of the GH Singapore for many reasons, they have consistently offered me (and at times demanded) I take my breakfast in the restaurant as opposed to the lounge since the lounge was packed. I have also found the hotel very responsive when there are issues, so not sure why management did not resolve the issue with the OP.
What issue? Somebody wants something for free that they are not entitled to. The issue is with the guest, not the hotel. The resolution is to point the guest to the terms.
59Impala likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
Curious though - and I suspect the OP has been scared off by this virtual tar and feathering - how do you go about getting the "eat in the restaurant option" over 80% of the time at hotels WITH club lounges? Is there a secret password? Are you emailing in advance? Seriously just asking at the front desk and they say yes? Complaining? If there's a nice, respectful way to do it (outside of Prive) and get a yes 80% of the time I'd love to know....
He said that he just shows up at the restaurant! I'm guessing they are taken aback and just let him through, because... who does that?

Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by NJNY
He said that he just shows up at the restaurant! I'm guessing they are taken aback and just let him through, because... who does that?

But then why wouldn't the hotel just charge him the going rate for breakfast, which he presumably would have charged to his room? It's the same if a Glob decides that he/she wants a room service breakfast. They order it just as anyone else would, sign and charge it to the room, and it appears on the bill. A very few hotels might have gone above and beyond in allowing top tier elites to take breakfast through room service (IIRC the midtown NYC Andaz did this for HGP Diamonds and I think some of the bloggers like VFTW and OMAAT made a big deal about this), but if it's not a benefit the hotel offers, the amount just appears on the bill.

We can only hope that the OP hasn't been having long insistent arguments about the bill at checkout, but maybe he just hasn't noticed that he's being charged for all of those restaurant breakfasts.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA CK 2MM, DL DM 1MM, WN CP, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic3, Marriott Titanium Lftm, Hyatt GLB
how do you go about getting the "eat in the restaurant option" over 80% of the time at hotels WITH club lounges? Is there a secret password? Are you emailing in advance? Seriously just asking at the front desk and they say yes? Complaining? If there's a nice, respectful way to do it (outside of Prive) and get a yes 80% of the time I'd love to know....
Not sure how my experience has been so off the norm, but I have never e-mailed in advance or even had to ask for breakfast at the main restaurant in Asia (Singapore was the first time). It was either offered proactively at check in (when handed the Club information sheet, been told "you can have breakfast in the lounge or in the restaurant"), or even when not proactively offered, I have not been charged at the main restaurant. All the frenzied speculation about pet giraffes notwithstanding, I've never made a scene or demanded to be let in at the main restaurant -- just seated upon providing my room number at the restaurant maître d' desk. Not just for corporate rate bookings -- happened on WoH point redemption stays at 3 different Asia GH properties in the last few weeks. Looks like I should book a trip to Vegas given my luck?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.