Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Globalists should avoid Grand Hyatt Singapore (No restaurant breakfast offered)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Globalists should avoid Grand Hyatt Singapore (No restaurant breakfast offered)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Often I prefer the lounge breakfast because it's faster. In some places (USA primarily), I like being able to just grab breakfast and take it to my room to save even more time. YMMV.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:24 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
This is clearly known in the hotel's Master Thread on FT.

Some hotels like the PH MEL will offer full breakfast, because the lounge only serves breakfast on a Sunday, but I don't understand how you thought this was a benefit?

My stays at this property have found the club and the staff their to be fantastic. They remembered our coffee and drink orders from the first day and delivered them without asking when we returned.
59Impala likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
I think you should edit your negative reviews on Tripadvisor and Facebook.

Publicly criticizing the hotel for not providing something they are not expected to provide is a bad thing, and if nothing else, it discourages other hotels from exceeding expectations.
TerryK, antonius66 and NJNY like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Historically speaking in asia lounge dining was intended as more upscale and private and generally more preferred option. Over time lounge offerings got diluted and apparently this property has a rather pathetic spread by regional standards (quite a contrast to excellent lounge of GH HK where service and views more than compensate for more limited choices vs the restaurant..).
I also had restaurant breakfast at many SPG/Marriott and Hilton properties in the region as top tier but there are so many variations now that i don't know what is actually guaranteed...
Overentitlement or nor but this thread only re-enforces my views that GH SIN is a subpar property and that currently glob perks are nor worth the effort of going out of my way to hit 60 nts.. YMMV
Wilbur likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
If Flyertalkers are OK with lounge breakfasts when the Marriott/Hilton properties down the road are giving their Plats/Diamonds the option of restaurant or lounge breakfast, that's fine. Personally, I think that this type of thread is exactly why Flyertalk exists - to let others know where they're not getting as good benefits as they could at another similar property down the street.
It is one thing for someone to say that they don't like the benefits of a program (or how they are implemented), or compare one program to another, or one property to another.

It's quite another for someone to demand something that they are not entitled to and throw a temper tantrum on social media when they don't get it. It bothers me that this childish, immature behavior was rewarded with a bottle of whiskey. Rather, I'd applaud a hotel that would ask that patron not to return at the end of his stay.
TerryK and NJNY like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Not only did I enjoy the lounge breakfast the 5 or so times I’ve been there but have reviewed excellent treatment since before I had status. Suite upgrades, super early check-in, super late check out to the point where my loyalty to them is very high.

haven’ t been in 3 years, so maybe it’s fownhill since then, but until I personally am treated subpar, it will be my hotel of choice in Singapore.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
If Flyertalkers are OK with lounge breakfasts when the Marriott/Hilton properties down the road are giving their Plats/Diamonds the option of restaurant or lounge breakfast, that's fine. Personally, I think that this type of thread is exactly why Flyertalk exists - to let others know where they're not getting as good benefits as they could at another similar property down the street.
Sure, that's fine. But, OP complained about a non-specified benefit on social media telling future guests not to stay at the property. In addition, because OP didn't receive this non-specified benefit, he gave the property a chance to make things right? What? Who does this?

If I owned a business where anyone acted like this, I'd blacklist them, and make sure they're forever persona non grata at any of my businesses.
NJNY, VegasGambler and 59Impala like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
I just read his TA review and I really think OP is not informed about the WoH breakfast benefit, based on the excerpts from his review below. His statements are flatly wrong.

I am a World of Hyatt Globalist member, and typically love the Grand Hyatt brand given their outstanding lobbies, Grand Club benefits, and lavish breakfasts in the main restaurant.

However the Singapore hotel decided I was not entitled to the privilege at the main Straits Kitchen restaurant -- which has the large, diverse breakfast I've come to expect at the Grands -- and instead had to go to the club, which was a comparatively paltry, poor representation of Singapore's amazing cuisine
TerryK, MSPeconomist and 59Impala like this.

Last edited by NJNY; Jan 4, 2019 at 3:23 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Both the Marriott and the J.W. Marriott in Singapore allow top-level elites to have breakfast either in the lounge or the full buffet in the restaurant.
I was not allowed breakfast in the restaurant at the JW. I just didn't start a thread about it
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

We should cherish the GHs that go above and beyond the lounge breakfast requirement. Crying out on TA or here will just ruin it for everyone. Next time, just book a Prive rate and you'll have all the restaurant breakfast you want.
antonius66 and 59Impala like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ORD_UA1K
When I receive top-notch service, I like to call it out for all to see.
Example?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
We should cherish the GHs that go above and beyond the lounge breakfast requirement. Crying out on TA or here will just ruin it for everyone. Next time, just book a Prive rate and you'll have all the restaurant breakfast you want.
EXACTLY. I could not agree with this more. This is what leads to "standardization of benefits". Certainly giving a hotel 1 star on TA because YOU don't understand the benefits is utterly gross. I agree with those who said you should change your review. It's garbage like that that makes hotels hate things like TA and make it less valuable for those who try and make genuine contributions and get useful info from it. I'm sick of having to always parse through nonsense reviews like, well, the one mentioned here.
TerryK and Aventine like this.

Last edited by antonius66; Jan 4, 2019 at 7:36 pm
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA CK 2MM, DL DM 1MM, WN CP, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic3, Marriott Titanium Lftm, Hyatt GLB
Wow. Glad to see such passionate engagement on a post I thought would gather a paltry number of eyeballs, but apparently I poked a bear. So, to clarify:

1) I understand the Grand Hyatt Singapore's policy on breakfast for Globalists, which is compliant with the Hyatt corporate standard. I get that. It is also inferior vs. my experience at every other GH I stayed at in 2018, especially in Asia -- let alone SPG hotels where I have equivalent Premier Platinum status.
2) I have not demanded to speak to a manager or raised a fuss about breakfast at the main restaurant anywhere else. It has either been proactively offered or I just showed up at the main restaurant and have been seated with my companions, no questions asked. GH Singapore was the first property we were specifically turned away.
3) In my view, Singapore is one of the culinary capitals of the world. Straits Kitchen represents the country's diversity well. The GH Club Lounge barely attempts to showcase Singapore, with emphasis on an egg station -- which I can get in any city in the world -- than Singapore's magnificent diversity. I care about that. Some of you don't value this, and I respect that too.
4) The staff at the GH Singapore Club are great. It's not their fault that the property decided the hotel will focus on adherence to policy rather than competitiveness with peers (unlike GH's elsewhere in Asia). Flyertalk members who're A-OK with this should obviously do what fits their buyer values. I will do the same (and avoid GH Singapore as a result).
5) Going forward, my decisions are simple. I can either stay at a Singapore property that offers me what I care about, or not. So I will keep my business to the Andaz (stayed at the Singapore location 6 times in 2018), Ritz Carlton, or Westin, Starts with my business trip in mid-January.
6) Information on the Prive rate -- which I was not aware of, since most of my Hyatt stays are booked through a corporate TMC -- was very helpful. Thank you to all who informed me about that possibility.

Last edited by ORD_UA1K; Jan 5, 2019 at 1:10 am
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by ORD_UA1K
Wow. Glad to see such passionate engagement on a post I thought would gather a paltry number of eyeballs, but apparently I poked a bear. So, to clarify:

1) I understand the Grand Hyatt Singapore's policy on breakfast for Globalists, which is compliant with the Hyatt corporate standard. I get that. It is also inferior vs. my experience at every other GH I stayed at in 2018, especially in Asia -- let alone SPG hotels where I have equivalent Premier Platinum status.
2) I have not demanded to speak to a manager or raised a fuss about breakfast at the main restaurant anywhere else. It has either been proactively offered or I just showed up at the main restaurant and have been seated with my companions, no questions asked. GH Singapore was the first property we were specifically turned away.
3) In my view, Singapore is one of the culinary capitals of the world. Straits Kitchen represents the country's diversity well. The GH Club Lounge barely attempts to showcase Singapore, with emphasis on an egg station -- which I can get in any city in the world -- than Singapore's magnificent diversity. I care about that. Some of you don't value this, and I respect that too.
4) The staff at the GH Singapore Club are great. It's not their fault that the property decided the hotel will focus on adherence to policy rather than competitiveness with peers (unlike GH's elsewhere in Asia). Flyertalk members who're A-OK with this should obviously do what fits their buyer values. I will do the same (and avoid GH Singapore as a result).
5) Going forward, my decisions are simple. I can either stay at a Singapore property that offers me what I care about, or not. So I will keep my business to the Andaz (stayed at the Singapore location 6 times in 2018), Ritz Carlton, or Westin, Starts with my business trip in mid-January.
6) Information on the Prive rate -- which I was not aware of, since most of my Hyatt stays are booked through a corporate TMC -- was very helpful. Thank you to all who informed me about that possibility.
I think it's a fair point to say that Asia properties often offer better breakfast benefits, and perhaps GH Singapore really is uncompetitive. But the issue is when you start raising a stink through emails, TripAdvisor and whatever other social media weapon of choice just to strongarm the hotel.

Competitive or not, the written benefits are very clear, and there's nothing written to suggest they offer what you're demanding. If the hotel fails to live up to your self-imposed standards (and GH Singapore does seem to fail to live up to many people's standards), simply do what everyone else does: stop staying at the property. An entire new thread here on FT just to vent about this seems to suggest some level of undue entitlement.

Don't be the diamond guest who needs room for his giraffe.
TerryK and 59Impala like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Dave510
Competitive or not, the written benefits are very clear, and there's nothing written to suggest they offer what you're demanding. If the hotel fails to live up to your self-imposed standards (and GH Singapore does seem to fail to live up to many people's standards), simply do what everyone else does: stop staying at the property. An entire new thread here on FT just to vent about this seems to suggest some level of undue entitlement.

Don't be the diamond guest who needs room for his giraffe.
Right, running around crying about it, especially on TA, is just distasteful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.