Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Globalists should avoid Grand Hyatt Singapore (No restaurant breakfast offered)

Globalists should avoid Grand Hyatt Singapore (No restaurant breakfast offered)

Closed Thread

Old Jan 4, 19, 8:59 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels & Radisson Hotel Group

I'm not a fan of GH Singapore for a number of reasons*, but it's odd to complain about not receiving a benefit that's not a benefit. You must have been extraordinarily lucky (or "persuasive") to have stayed at 7 GHs this year with club lounges and received full restaurant breakfast. Out of curiosity, which GHs are we talking about?

*Setting aside the fact that restaurant breakfast at GHs with lounge is not a Glob benefit, GH Singapore is behind the local competition -- club access comes with a choice of full restaurant breakfast at a number of Singapore hotels, including JW Marriott, IC, Westin, etc.
Old Jan 4, 19, 9:01 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels & Radisson Hotel Group

Originally Posted by ORD_UA1K View Post
Letís see, in 2018 alone, breakfast at the main restaurant in GH Taipei, Kuala Lumpur, Chengdu, Seattle, and New York. Iím likely missing a few. Singapore was the only place it was NOT offered.
I stay at those two frequently, and restaurant breakfast is not offered to Globs as a matter of course. Did you perhaps have a rate that included it?
Old Jan 4, 19, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
It seems a number of properties have cut back on going above and beyond since the WoH transition. GH Hong Kong is another example.

Not sure what rate you paid, but if it was close to the standard rate you could consider booking a Prive rate next time which would guarantee restaurant breakfast. The $100 credit credit might cover the increased nightly rate.

Originally Posted by ORD_UA1K View Post
This is my first negative review in several years. When I receive top-notch service, I like to call it out for all to see. When I don't, I like to give the service provider a chance to make amends before complaining publicly. In my experience, companies want to offer their customers value-for-money and make them happy.

Not the Grand Hyatt Singapore. In this instance, outreach to management was originally met with stony silence. They finally got back to me and tried to make amends -- but only after I publicly posted on social media.

I'm a Globalist and typically love the Grand Hyatt brand given the outstanding lobbies, Grand Club benefits, and lavish breakfasts in the main restaurant. Especially in Asia, where I've now stayed at a number of locations (Taipei being my favorite). The breakfast is a special treat when I travel with my family on holiday, since I often have less time to enjoy this when on business. However the Singapore hotel decided I was not entitled to the privilege at the main Straits Kitchen restaurant -- which has the large, diverse breakfast I've come to expect at the Grands -- and instead had to go to the Club, which was a comparatively paltry, poor representation of Singapore's amazing cuisine (All of Asia was represented by congee and one dumpling option). First time this has happened as a Globalist, and I've stayed at 7 Grand Hyatts this year.

When I tried to reach a hotel manager, was asked to send an e-mail. No response until I posted on Tripadvisor, Facebook. They sent a bottle of whisky to my room as a goodwill gesture after, which I do appreciate (and am giving away to a friend since I don't want to check a bag on the way home). However, doesn't change the fact that their policy is noncompetitive with Singapore peers and other Grand Hyatts in the region.
Old Jan 4, 19, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Did they have a suite for your giraffe?
That's only for Diamonds. After switching to WOH program, giraffe accommodation is no longer a benefit.
Old Jan 4, 19, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by jpdx View Post
I stay at those two frequently, and restaurant breakfast is not offered to Globs as a matter of course. Did you perhaps have a rate that included it?
I also have a hard time seeing GHNY offering free restaurant breakfast.

While GH Singapore would be a more attractive property to Globalists if they offered the choice of breakfast in lounge or restaurant, their adherence to the rules does not to me seem a fair basis for singling them out for criticism.
OsakaWino likes this.
Old Jan 4, 19, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
That's only for Diamonds. After switching to WOH program, giraffe accommodation in no longer a benefit.
Jeff Zidell seemed to like giraffes. I remember some event where he was given a big inflatable one.
Old Jan 4, 19, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Zhen Steve Wang View Post
Haha , I think GH Singapore might want to avoid you...
This is the kind of customer you want to have bothering & draining the resources of your competitors...
Old Jan 4, 19, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP MM, DL DM MM, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jpdx View Post
Perhaps in Seattle (not sure what rate I paid, but I have stayed 3-4 times in 2018 and it has never been an issue to go to the main restaurant). NY was a corporate rate and I donít recall the rate-specific benefits. Taipei (twice), KL and Chengdu were all on points redemptions and was still able to go to the main restaurant. The breakfast in Taipei is our favorite.

Again, Singapore is the only place I havenít received it when I would have liked it. Sounds like some people got it and others didnít. Drew the short straw for the first time, I guess.

Last edited by ORD_UA1K; Jan 4, 19 at 9:40 am
Old Jan 4, 19, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP MM, DL DM MM, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sensei View Post
Not sure what rate you paid, but if it was close to the standard rate you could consider booking a Prive rate next time which would guarantee restaurant breakfast. The $100 credit credit might cover the increased nightly rate.
Thank you for the helpful suggestion
Old Jan 4, 19, 9:44 am

Prive is definitely the way to go if you're staying 2 or more nights - guarantee restaurant breakfast and $100 property credit. However, I'm not sure why other globalists should avoid GH Singapore when your only complaint is not being granted an exception to the rule just because you've gotten used to getting that exception at other properties. It certainly doesn't justify social media outrage against them. Did you assume Globalist benefits must have changed because you got restaurant breakfast so many times?
Old Jan 4, 19, 9:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by sensei View Post
It seems a number of properties have cut back on going above and beyond since the WoH transition. GH Hong Kong is another example.

Exactly for this reason. You do a nice thing for someone once, and then it becomes a demand and entitlement on the next stays. How ridiculous. If GHNY ever offered me complimentary breakfast in the restaurant instead of the lounge, I'd die in shock.
Old Jan 4, 19, 9:52 am

... is this thread about? When is any globalist ever offered restaurant breakfast breakfast at any just that has a lounge (unless if on a Privť rate or something?). I've stayed at some of the GHs mentioned (Taipei, New York) as well as a few others (Tokyo, Seoul) as well as a few HRs (SF, Maui, Waikiki) and I have never once been offered restaurant breakfast instead of the lounge, nor would it have occurred to me to ask for it. Who would you even ask for that? The person who checks you in does not have the authority to approve that. Do you ask to speak to a manager every time you check in?
Old Jan 4, 19, 10:04 am

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
I agree with several others here. You are complaining (publicly no less) about not getting something you are in NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM entitled to. That is such unbelievably bad form that it epitomizes what is wrong with our whiny entitled culture today. You are trying to shame the hotel because they stuck to the rules? I personally have stayed at the following Grand Hyatts that I can remember (probably forgetting a few as well):

Taipei (last month in fact and I stayed on 2 reservations together..a prive and a regular...for the 4 night prive, I got restaurant breakfast and for the next 4 nights, I got lounge)
San Diego
Beijing
DFW
San Francisco
Seattle
Denver
Kauai
Tampa
Singapore
Bangkok
Berlin
Istanbul

and I have been given restaurant breakfast a sum total of ONE time...and that was in DFW. I am not even sure they have a lounge. The idea that Glob nee Diamonds should get or regularly gets breakfast in the restaurant is patently absurd. I am not sure what you are doing or booking but that is not normal course for anyone and them not giving it to you is not a valid complaint. Maybe you just complain a ton so they give to you to keep you quiet? As I understand it, problem customers are listed as V9 so maybe you should check?
TerryK and 59Impala like this.
Old Jan 4, 19, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 1fan View Post
I also would never expect a benefit that's not in the T & C. Then slam a Hotel for not giving you more than you deserve in my opinion disgraceful. I love the Grand Hyatt Singapore A+ in my book
In my book, itís been a C- to D- in fixing matters when it fails to even deliver what it was supposed to deliver. This hotel used to be rather notorious for shorting ďGuest of HonorĒ reservations and then not responding to routine complaints about that.
Old Jan 4, 19, 10:07 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
I agree with the other posters that while the Singapore GH service has consistently disappointed me over the decades, the OP's expectations seem a little off in this particular instance.
GUWonder likes this.

Search this Thread