Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Charged for Award Night -- every time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club

Whenever I use a free night, the reservation shows a free night. At checkin, I confirm with the hotel that I'm using a free night. Yet the hotel always bills me for the free night. I contact My Concierge and the bill gets corrected. But I'm billed for the "free night", EVERY time.

This started just recently. I was billed for for the last four award nights I used, dating back to October 2018.

Is it just me? Or are others folks also getting billed for their award nights, and then you have to contact Hyatt to get the billing corrected?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
.....Is it just me? Or are others folks also getting billed for their award nights, and then you have to contact Hyatt to get the billing corrected?
It is just you. Never had a problem. Actually, I did see charge on my bill once, a few years ago, but it was taken care of at check out.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB + Marriott LP
I am sorry to hear that, but I think, it's just you.......
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:22 am

Can't you just pay the $30 they charge for the award night and not use one from your stash?
CloudCoder likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB + Marriott LP
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Can't you just pay the $30 they charge for the award night and not use one from your stash?
HAHA ! I will be laughed my ... off, if I can do that....
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:18 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Which hotel?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It's just you...

Sometimes at some lousy HP your folio shows how much WoH is charged for your award stay, but I've never been charged.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Never been charged for award stays
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Happens to me about 20% of the time. I always ask for my folio at checkout, even if $0.
CloudCoder likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
It happens to me maybe 1 out of every 5 award stays. I make quick mention of it at the front desk and usually get an apology and always get an immediate correction. Not that big of a deal, but would be nice if Hyatt would fix whatever system oddity allows this to happen easily enough.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sapguy
Never been charged for award stays
I wish I could say the same, but I’ve had multiple major hotel chains hit me with room rate charges for award nights booked using just points. But Hyatt doesn’t seem to be much worse in that regard than other major hotel chains. It’s something for which I have to watch at many a hotel, including some at which I have used points many dozens or even hundreds of times. Mistakes happen but it’s often enough faster and easier to get this sorted while at the hotel than long after checking out.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I received WOH's bill

Mystery solved. Whenever you use an award night, the system at the hotel generates TWO bills. One bill is for the guest. The other bill is for World of Hyatt (to reimburse the hotel for the free night).

(The reimbursement rate is on a sliding scale, based on how full the hotel is on that particular night.)

Well, I was accidentally charged for the WoH invoice. I kinda thought it was weird because the room rate was different (in fact, HIGHER) than what a paid night would have cost.

A quick note to My Concierge and the matter is easily fixed. Based on how quickly and automatically they fixed the issue, we can only assume they see it a lot.

This has happened to be before . It's rare. In a strange turn of events, it happened to me each time for the last four award nights. The clue is when your invoice is made out to Hyatt at an address which is not your address. I'll be more vigilant about this at checkout from now on.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Mystery solved. Whenever you use an award night, the system at the hotel generates TWO bills. One bill is for the guest. The other bill is for World of Hyatt (to reimburse the hotel for the free night).

(The reimbursement rate is on a sliding scale, based on how full the hotel is on that particular night.)

Well, I was accidentally charged for the WoH invoice. I kinda thought it was weird because the room rate was different (in fact, HIGHER) than what a paid night would have cost.

A quick note to My Concierge and the matter is easily fixed. Based on how quickly and automatically they fixed the issue, we can only assume they see it a lot.

This has happened to be before . It's rare. In a strange turn of events, it happened to me each time for the last four award nights. The clue is when your invoice is made out to Hyatt at an address which is not your address. I'll be more vigilant about this at checkout from now on.
So I was right!

Anyway, from what I heard there are 2 rates the hotel gets paid from WOH, and it all depends on occupancy. For low occupancy they get a set low rate. For high occupancy they get something closer to rack rate. Others probably will be able to fill in more.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: United GS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold

I remember HR San Francisco always *accidentally* send me the WoH/GP invoice a few years ago.

I didn’t actually get billed, but I somehow get the points and night base on price on that invoice..
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: 1k MM, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold, IHG Sphire, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Carson Gold
I used poinst a couple of years ago for the Louisville Hyatt during the Kentucky Derby. Got billed $1100 per night which was the world of Hyatt bill. It was corrected right away and $1100 was about the rack rate. I was shock I was able to book on points now I understand why they get huge reimbursement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.