Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Beijing Hyatts & the Great Firewall

Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador

Last time I was in China about 3 years ago, the Park Hyatt Shanghai had a VPN set up on their WiFi so you could access Facebook and other western sites. Apparently that has since been taken down but was curious if any of the Hyatts in Beijing have a similar set up on their WiFis. I know I can install my own VPN, but that's a larger hassle I'd prefer to avoid.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB + Marriott LP
Gov. banned all in-hotel vpns since.. last year? the new laws has taken in place. I doubt you will find any hotels in China that can bypass GFW.

Including PH shanghai those days.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Last time I was in China about 3 years ago, the Park Hyatt Shanghai had a VPN set up on their WiFi so you could access Facebook and other western sites. Apparently that has since been taken down but was curious if any of the Hyatts in Beijing have a similar set up on their WiFis. I know I can install my own VPN, but that's a larger hassle I'd prefer to avoid.
I spent 30 nights (2018) in PH Beijing.

I can tell you even my own company VPN is very spotty using Hyatt WiFi.

The only reliable services was as follows
A. My wife Singapore roaming SIM card.
B. My company own LTE roaming access USB stick (AT&T roaming in China Unicom.
C. Basement Yintai WiFi worked with my company VPN

What didn’t worked
1. My personal T-mobile unlimited roaming (even with day pass).
2. PH own WiFi.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.