Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Milestone Rewards

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Despite the truly nonsensical excuses to the contrary, it is incredibly obvious that all free night awards should be valid for 1 year.
Travlur likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Despite the truly nonsensical excuses to the contrary, it is incredibly obvious that all free night awards should be valid for 1 year.
LOL.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Here we go again. If one has already stayed at Hyatt 30 nights in 90 days, it shouldn't be hard to use a free night within the following 180 days.
This is nonsense. There are people who travel a lot for business, but only travel rarely for pleasure. Obviously no one is going to use a free night if their employer is reimbursing.

There are also people who very rarely stay at Cat 4 or below. In some places there simply aren't any Cat 4s.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
This is nonsense. There are people who travel a lot for business, but only travel rarely for pleasure. Obviously no one is going to use a free night if their employer is reimbursing.
You guys should switch to Marriott or Hilton. They're much more flexible with the free nights they award elites.

Oh, wait. They don't award free nights to anyone, let alone after a piddly 30 nights.

There are also people who very rarely stay at Cat 4 or below. In some places there simply aren't any Cat 4s.
It's a Cat 1-4, not a Cat 4. And true high-rollers aren't paying attention to this and don't give a damn.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a Cat 1-4, not a Cat 4. And true high-rollers aren't paying attention to this and don't give a damn.
But there are places where there simply aren't any Cat 1-4s. This is particularly true about the places where people tend to go on vacations.

It's not about high rollers who won't stay at anything less than a luxury hotel. It's about people trying to take a vacation in places where people take vacations. In San Francisco even the Hyatt Place is a Cat 5. People paying out of pocket for the Hyatt Place in SF are not high rollers -- they are people trying to take an affordable vacation in SF (which is no easy task). It's a Hyatt Place, not a Mandarin Oriental.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:59 am
Suspended

No sense going around and around on this yet again, but I see a lot of vacation-worthy places on the Cat 4 list, and even San Fran had a Cat 4 until very recently:

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/explore-...ionGroup=0-All
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No sense going around and around on this yet again, but I see a lot of vacation-worthy places on the Cat 4 list, and even San Fran had a Cat 4 until very recently:

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/explore-...ionGroup=0-All
Yes there are, but expecting people to plan vacations around where there are Cat 1-4 hotels is a little silly.

Your statement about someone who stays at hotels that often is simply false. A very common situation is that someone travels a lot for business and racks up nights that way. Maybe they have the CC too for a bit of a boost.

Then maybe a couple of times a year they take a family vacation. This is obviously a great time to use the free night cert. If they are planning to visit San Francisco on this upcoming vacation... what are the options? Tell the family, sorry, we're not going to SF because all their Hyatts are cat 5? Stay in Emeryville? (No one wants to go on a vacation in Emeryville) Not everyone goes on personal trips every month; this family trip to SF could easily be the the only personal travel for 6 months. There are even people who do no personal travel at all for 6 or more months, even though they travel a lot for business (I work with a lot of people in that situation). I work with so many people who end up taking time off just because their PTO is about to max out (and it takes 18 months to accrue enough PTO for it to hit the max).

The FT community obviously is very heavily weighted towards frequent travelers, but not everyone is in that situation.
jn in ca likes this.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Apr 10, 2019 at 2:12 pm
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Yes there are, but expecting people to plan vacations around where there are Cat 1-4 hotels is a little silly.
No one is expecting that, least of all Hyatt. Hyatt obviously doesn't want people hoarding free nights to use during peak times at high-demand locations. That's the point here.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
I have not stayed in a cat 4 or below in the past six months. No plans to do so in the next few months.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:09 pm

But what's the alternative? Hyatt making current Globalists ineligible for them, even though a lot of current Globalists won't re-qualify for next year, when those awards are still valid?
Yes, that would be preferable to making the vast majority of your customers irritated over a benefit they have no conceivable use for. "If you will endeavor to not re-qualify, this will be of great benefit to you!" isn't the best selling point, IMHO.

This is clearly the point of the 180-day expiration. Hyatt doesn't want everyone saving the awards for the same few high-demand periods of the year.
Respectfully, timing of the month in the year "when" someone re qualifies shouldn't be the determiner as to the utility of their benefit. Should I "hold off" to the last day of the year to re-qualify so that I can maybe use this in June? And seasonality is all over the board - plenty of places have their high season in winter. There are better ways to design a benefit.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Back to milestones for a moment: For the 40 night award of $100 gift card. Is there any small print on the gift card? As in:
Expiration date
Restrictions on use
Etc

I'd like to use it to pay for a hotel stay. Are there any hotels that won't accept it?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:13 pm

The hotels are limited to these in American continent
There is no expiration date and other restrictions are described here

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Back to milestones for a moment: For the 40 night award of $100 gift card. Is there any small print on the gift card? As in:
Expiration date
Restrictions on use
Etc

I'd like to use it to pay for a hotel stay. Are there any hotels that won't accept it?
iflyjetz likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Yes, that would be preferable to making the vast majority of your customers irritated over a benefit they have no conceivable use for. "If you will endeavor to not re-qualify, this will be of great benefit to you!" isn't the best selling point, IMHO.
The "vast majority" of Hyatt's customers are "irritated" because some club lounge awards show up in their account after 20 and then 30 nights? You can't be serious.

Respectfully, timing of the month in the year "when" someone re qualifies shouldn't be the determiner as to the utility of their benefit. Should I "hold off" to the last day of the year to re-qualify so that I can maybe use this in June? And seasonality is all over the board - plenty of places have their high season in winter. There are better ways to design a benefit.
By this logic, having them expire in a year would require people who vacation in December to wait until December to re-qualify. There's no solution here that would make everyone happy.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:52 pm

The "vast majority" of Hyatt's customers are "irritated" because some club lounge awards show up in their account after 20 and then 30 nights? You can't be serious.
I am irritated being given something as a benefit that by definition I have no way to use. Who exactly is the audience that is happy about that?

By this logic, having them expire in a year would require people who vacation in December to wait until December to re-qualify. There's no solution here that would make everyone happy.
Giving everyone a full 12 month cycle to use the benefit is precisely something that would make everyone happy.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
I am irritated being given something as a benefit that by definition I have no way to use. Who exactly is the audience that is happy about that?
For starters, the people who don't re-qualify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.