Milestone Rewards

Old Dec 20, 18, 5:59 pm
  #91  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Posts: 6,411
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
... let's say I want a 7-night stay, the first 6 are paid cash (or 15k pts times 6), and for the last night I want to use the Cat 1-4 free night, are you saying I cannot use a Globalist Suite Upgrade on my 7-night stay?
You hit the nail directly on the head. You identified the SECOND-most serious flaw with the free night awards you earn after 30 and 60 nights. (The FIRST-most serious flaw is that the award expires in 6 months.)
Or I would have a suite for the first 6 nights but not for the last night?
You'd have a suite for ZERO nights. If you have an existing reservation, and then attach the award that you earned at 30 or 60 nights, then that entire stay becomes ineligible for suite upgrade. It sucks.
If I cannot use an upgrade, then I should only use my free night on a stay where I do NOT intend to use one of my 4 suite upgrades?
Exactly. And be sure to do it within six months, before the free night expires.

Workaround: (I almost hate to post this): Book all the nights as paid. Apply your suite upgrade. Then call reservations and apply your free night award to the existing (upgraded) reservation. (Say something like "uh-oh, my mistake, I meant to use a free night and I just plum forgot. Can you fix it for me please?") Some agents won't let you do this, but most will.
CloudCoder is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 6:08 pm
  #92  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Posts: 6,411
Originally Posted by antonius66 View Post
I have never had a tsu rejected because I used a free night
TSU is allows on a POINTS reservation. It might be allowed on the(used to be annual, now based on spend) free night you get as a credit card holder. But TSU is specifically _not_ allowed on the night you award you earn at 30-nights and 60-nights. And if you use one of those awards for just ONE night of a stay, the _entire_ stay is ineligible for suite upgrade.
Frankly there is ZERO reason to justify that because you can apply tsu to award nights now, so there is absolutely NO logic to denying that type of use.
We agree 100%. Currently, the awards you earn at 30 and 60 nights are second-class citizens. They can't be upgraded (in fact, they nullify the upgrade for all OTHER nights of your stay) and they expire in six months. Hyatt needs to have just one kind of "free night award". It needs to expire when status expires (i.e. February 2020 for awards earned in 2018), and using the award needs to _not_ nullify other benefits that you have earned.
OsakaWino likes this.
CloudCoder is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 7:25 pm
  #93  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami, Florida
Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,009
Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
Saying that a Cat 1-4 cert is "the equivalent" of 15000 points doesn't imply that that's what the person who said that is willing to pay?
No, not at all.

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
Um, you even liked the post (66) that started this line of argument, in which the cert is literally stated as a "15k point equivalent".
I wouldn’t pay $100 for a $100 gift card, but a $100 gift card is assuredly “equivalent to $100” when being redeemed. This isn’t hard.
joe_miami is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 7:37 pm
  #94  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Posts: 16,016
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
I wouldn’t pay $100 for a $100 gift card, but a $100 gift card is assuredly “equivalent to $100” when being redeemed. This isn’t hard.
If I were to give you a gift card for $100 good at Fred's Farmers Emporium that was good for six months, would you really consider that the equivalent of me giving you $100 in cash?
hailstorm is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 7:39 pm
  #95  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami, Florida
Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,009
Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
If I were to give you a gift card for $100 good at Fred's Farmers Emporium that was good for six months, would you really consider that the equivalent of me giving you $100 in cash?
If I shopped at Fred’s Farmers Emporium even half as often as I stay at Hyatt, I sure would.
joe_miami is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 7:46 pm
  #96  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: LAS TPE HND LHR
Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Posts: 5,361
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
I wouldn’t pay $100 for a $100 gift card, but a $100 gift card is assuredly “equivalent to $100” when being redeemed. This isn’t hard.
You had to add a qualifier just to try to have an argument - the "being redeemed" part is precisely the reason for the debate. You're right that this isn't a difficult concept.
gengar is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 7:56 pm
  #97  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami, Florida
Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,009
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
You had to add a qualifier just to try to have an argument - the "being redeemed" part is precisely the reason for the debate. You're right that this isn't a difficult concept.
LOL. The reason for the debate is the alleged difficulty for people who allegedly stay at Hyatt at least 30 to 60 nights per year to use a Cat 1-4 certificate within 6 months. Apparently there are more people who make dozens of one-night stays per year at Cat 5+ properties than I would have guessed.
joe_miami is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 8:08 pm
  #98  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Posts: 16,016
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post


If I shopped at Fred’s Farmers Emporium even half as often as I stay at Hyatt, I sure would.
If you were in Gertie's Girdle Gallery and wanted to use it there, would they consider it to be equivalent to $100? Equivalence by its very nature is transmutable, right?
hailstorm is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 8:10 pm
  #99  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami, Florida
Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,009
Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
If you were in Gertie's Girdle Gallery and wanted to use it there, would they consider it to be equivalent to $100? Equivalence by its very nature is transmutable, right?
Marriott won’t take 50,000 WoH points, either. No idea what you’re even arguing now.
joe_miami is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 8:20 pm
  #100  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: LAS TPE HND LHR
Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Posts: 5,361
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
Marriott won’t take 50,000 WoH points, either. No idea what you’re even arguing now.
You'd also be hard-pressed to find retailers who will accept $100 in foreign countries, but that's never been the point. I know you like being needlessly bombastic and argumentative, but this is just silly.

If you're going to defend the statement that a cert is a "15k point equivalent", it's not good enough to justify that statement by arguing that some people, in some cases, are going to be able to use that cert in lieu of 15k points. And if you continuously have to add qualifiers just to attempt to have an argument, it's not a good argument.
gengar is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 8:27 pm
  #101  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami, Florida
Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,009
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
You'd also be hard-pressed to find retailers who will accept $100 in foreign countries, but that's never been the point. I know you like being needlessly bombastic and argumentative, but this is just silly.

If you're going to defend the statement that a cert is a "15k point equivalent", it's not good enough to justify that statement by arguing that some people, in some cases, are going to be able to use that cert in lieu of 15k points. And if you continuously have to add qualifiers just to attempt to have an argument, it's not a good argument.
Your argument is a train wreck. A Cat 1-4 cert, definitionally, is worth 5,000 to 15,000 points. The fact that less than 100% of them are redeemed at Cat 4 properties doesn’t change the fact that such certs are functionally equivalent to 15,000 points. Likewise, a $100 bill is a $100 bill, even if I choose to
use it at a store in Mexico that gives me a crummy exchange rate or refuses to give me change.
joe_miami is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 8:33 pm
  #102  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: LAS TPE HND LHR
Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Posts: 5,361
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
Likewise, a $100 bill is a $100 bill, even if I choose to
use it at a store in Mexico that gives me a crummy exchange rate or refuses to give me change.
I think you're confusing even yourself at this point because this is precisely our argument. Of course a $100 bill is a $100 bill in exactly the same way that a cert is a cert. That doesn't mean a cert is equivalent to $100 just because someone, somewhere, can use that cert in lieu of $100. Just in the same way that the same cert is not equivalent to $0 just because someone else, somewhere else, can't extract any value from it.
OsakaWino likes this.
gengar is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 8:43 pm
  #103  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 240
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
That's not a devaluation. A devaluation is when the status loses value. This just makes the status harder to get.
That to me is a loss in value because it will cost me 5 more nights to get the same thing I had before.
slm9555 is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 8:52 pm
  #104  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Osaka
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Posts: 2,835
It is a basic economic principle that the value of a commodity is not determined by what it can be used for but rather what it can be sold for on the open market.

It is too bad that Hyatt does not allow these certs to be sold, since there would be a lot of people interested in selling their Cat 1-4 certs to Joe for 15,000 pts.

And as for the Cat 1-7 certs, valuing them at 30,00 pt adds another kink, since I would suspect the majority of them are redeemed at Cat 5 or 6 properties. There are not that many Cat 7 properties out there. I imagine there are no a few members who have never stayed at a Cat 7 property.
OsakaWino is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 8:54 pm
  #105  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Programs: QF, AC, GA, Hyatt, Marriott
Posts: 2,804
Any chance we can get back on topic?
uppereastsider likes this.
danger is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: