Milestone Rewards

Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm guessing that many people would be MORE irritated if they didn't get it.

Sample post from a parallel universe:

How come a discoverist gets this benefit but I don't? I'm being punished for being globalist! If I don't requalify next year I can't use these club passes but my discoverist friend can!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm guessing that many people would be MORE irritated if they didn't get it.

Sample post from a parallel universe:

How come a discoverist gets this benefit but I don't? I'm being punished for being globalist! If I don't requalify next year I can't use these club passes but my discoverist friend can!
In that same parallel universe, United gave its 1Ks two free baggage check vouchers for a year to use only on their own reservations... and then took them away, causing a mass exodus!
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:09 am

The $100 gift card 40 night milestone reward seems to only be redeemable in Canada, Mexico, USA.

Would ideally select that reward over the others . But I ’m based in Asia with no immediate plans to be in that part of the world. Anyone have experience getting the locations changed?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Yes, that would be preferable to making the vast majority of your customers irritated over a benefit they have no conceivable use for. "If you will endeavor to not re-qualify, this will be of great benefit to you!" isn't the best selling point, IMHO.

Respectfully, timing of the month in the year "when" someone re qualifies shouldn't be the determiner as to the utility of their benefit. Should I "hold off" to the last day of the year to re-qualify so that I can maybe use this in June? And seasonality is all over the board - plenty of places have their high season in winter. There are better ways to design a benefit.
View From the Wing covered this a few months ago, from memory. This six month validity can actively create an incentive for someone to delay staying with Hyatt, thereby costing the company money.

Originally Posted by uktraveller212
The $100 gift card 40 night milestone reward seems to only be redeemable in Canada, Mexico, USA.

Would ideally select that reward over the others . But I ’m based in Asia with no immediate plans to be in that part of the world. Anyone have experience getting the locations changed?
I don't remember seeing the US-only restriction in the fine print. That would be very poor if true but consistent with Hyatt's overall US focus.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:31 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Not sure if this is true. But I think you can receive 5,000 points instead. Or the $100 GC. It is a wash.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RedSun
Not sure if this is true. But I think you can receive 5,000 points instead. Or the $100 GC. It is a wash.
Yes, 5K points, $100 or save 10K points on a "FIND" experience.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why does the GC seem to be such a popular choice? Do people have so many points that they redeem at less than 2c? I have over 300k and I still can't bring myself to redeem for that low.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond

Take the points then.

It's not about "changing the locations" or penalising certain WoH members. It's about those Hyatt properties that are set up to accept gift cards.

It is essentially the same list of properties as those that accept the USD gift cards we used to buy at a 10% discount 3-4 years ago, before fraudsters managed to guess the numbers and empty people's gift card balances. GPGIFT15 - 10% off Hyatt gift cards (and certificates?) if buy by 24 Dec 15

Why does the GC seem to be such a popular choice? Do people have so many points that they redeem at less than 2c? I have over 300k and I still can't bring myself to redeem for that low.
Because...

A) you earn even more points on the $100 room rate. 650 points for Globalists. So a net 4350 points actually...

B) you can buy points for 1.7 cents during promos, so why pay 2 cents unless you max out annually on buying points?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigthemif
A) you earn even more points on the $100 room rate. 650 points for Globalists. So a net 4350 points actually...
I usually just add the potential points earned to the redemption cost. Of course I also add the taxes, service fees (anything that would not be waived as globalist) to the room rate. It's often more or less a wash (highly dependent on location, of course)

B) you can buy points for 1.7 cents during promos, so why pay 2 cents unless you max out annually on buying points?
Yeah I max that out. I guess most people don't?

Actually since I shifted a lot of spend to the CC I notice my point balance holding steady instead of it dropping throughout the year so I might have to be more willing to redeem around the 2c mark. At a 2.5c minimum I think I earn them slightly faster than I spend them.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
The Points Guy values them at 1.7 CPP.

With the new credit card, I’m using them at 1.5 or better and still my account grows. I’ll use the gift card for less than 1.5.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Hit my 40 nights this week. Got the email today and selected my $100 GC. Got an instant email with the GC link. Heading to Royal Palms in Phoenix this weekend (pts+expiring Cat1-7). Might use the GC to cover incidentals like brunch on Sunday (if it isn't covered as my Globalist breakfast). Otherwise it will get used for incidentals and meals at the Andaz Papgayo this summer.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iflyjetz

With the new credit card, I’m using them at 1.5 or better and still my account grows. I’ll use the gift card for less than 1.5.
If I redeemed at 1.5 I would run out of points, even with the credit card (which I put my rent on)

TPG's valuation is meaningless. Giving a single constant valuation makes no sense at all. The value is determined by how many you have and how often you have an opportunity to redeem.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:24 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hyatt values its point at 2 cpps. This is why the 40 night milestone is 5,000 points or $100 GC. That is a fair value to me. They worth more with the club lounge access and resort fee waiver.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by RedSun
Hyatt values its point at 2 cpps. This is why the 40 night milestone is 5,000 points or $100 GC. That is a fair value to me. They worth more with the club lounge access and resort fee waiver.
Hyatt may value them at 2CPP, but the overwhelming verdict among those reaching the milestone is the GC so program members value them below 2CPP.

But Hyatt doesn't really value them at 2CPP because they will also give you 10K points for a FIND experience at the 40 night milestone, so one could also argue that Hyatt values the points at 1CPP. And it has already been pointed out that Hyatt will sell you points at 1.7 CPP during promos.

Last edited by iflyjetz; Apr 13, 2019 at 7:10 am
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hyatt may value them at 2CPP, but the overwhelming verdict among those reaching the milestone is the GC so program members value them below 2CPP.

But Hyatt doesn't really value them at 2CPP because they will also give you 10K points for a FIND experience at the 40 night milestone, so one could also argue that Hyatt values the points at 1CPP. And it has already been pointed out that Hyatt will sell you points at 1.7 CPP during promos.
I think that this is just Hyatt implicitly admitting that the find crap is overpriced. As if it wasn't obvious.

As far as the 1.7cpp thing, that's with a cap, it's realizing revenue now for something that won't be spent until later (possibly never). They will (or used to?) give you discounts on GCs as well. Places often sell GCs at discounts (this is why you can get significant rebates or rewards on them, buying them through a 3rd party at cost)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.