Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Any real difference between Grand Hyatt and Hyatt Regency?

Any real difference between Grand Hyatt and Hyatt Regency?

Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
The thing is the branding in Japan just doesn't make sense. Hyatt Regency Kyoto is supposed to be extremely nice. HR Hakone is very classy.
And in Hong Kong there is the HR which is a dump and GH which is amazing.
What??? The HR TST is great and one of the best value Hyatts on the planet (Cat 4). The GH is overpriced and mediocre.
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by aradisc
What??? The HR TST is great and one of the best value Hyatts on the planet (Cat 4). The GH is overpriced and mediocre.
Haven't stayed at either yet, will stay at GH soon. My brother has stayed at both, not on points and not him paying. He asid TST isn't that nice but GH is.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

GH HK has some nice rooms and doesnt it have huge lap pool outdoors?

wasnt talking about you Pickles, was talking about the # 1 regular there

i'd certainly take presidential with pool at GHT (otherwise corner at aman)

MikeFromTokyo, didnt you follow staff from GHT to andaz?

branding in japan does 'make sense' in terms of so few chain hotels there

as noted asian standards can be high
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

branding in japan does 'make sense' in terms of so few chain hotels there
Sometimes, it is owners having to take what they can get eg. brand they want being forever unavailable like with Mori and PH. They made Andaz Tokyo into their own little Parkdaz.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

kyoto HR is well regarded, only now is PH there planned (GH, andaz to follow?)
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
kyoto HR is well regarded, only now is PH there planned (GH, andaz to follow?)
I don't think Kyoto can support 4+ Hyatts like Tokyo. Most likely the HR would suffer against new build Hyatts. The PH itself is only 70 something rooms and much higher rack rates. Most likely ultra premium positioning.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:00 am

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by aradisc
Having stayed at both (and currently en route to HK to stay at HR TST again) I think the HR is good value (for free night redemption especially) and factoring in location is hard to beat at its price level. GH has a nicer feel to public spaces (more opulent, perhaps?) and significantly better food/beverage offerings in the club lounge, but not enough to justify the price differential to me. Honestly if the HR spruced up its lounge (and lounge F&B), added some staff, and heated the water in its pool, it could probably call itself a GH, unless there's something related to meeting facilities that it's missing.

I think the brand distinction is easier to see in some markets like Washington DC: the GH has a big opulent lobby with floors of meeting space downstairs, the HR feels dated and worn but does the trick as a run-of-the-mill conference site, etc.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Having stayed at both (and currently en route to HK to stay at HR TST again) I think the HR is good value (for free night redemption especially) and factoring in location is hard to beat at its price level. GH has a nicer feel to public spaces (more opulent, perhaps?) and significantly better food/beverage offerings in the club lounge, but not enough to justify the price differential to me. Honestly if the HR spruced up its lounge (and lounge F&B), added some staff, and heated the water in its pool, it could probably call itself a GH, unless there's something related to meeting facilities that it's missing.

I think the brand distinction is easier to see in some markets like Washington DC: the GH has a big opulent lobby with floors of meeting space downstairs, the HR feels dated and worn but does the trick as a run-of-the-mill conference site, etc.
Hi,

Agree with your comments platbrownguy, the HR TST was very good value for money ( spend 3 paid nights there 3-6 Dec) . The pool water was cold ( and closes at 6pm which was early compared to the Sheraton and Conrad (10pm)

Enjoy your stay ( and take some time to walk around the K11 mall as it is all done up for christmas

Regards

TBS
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Aventine
Middle East as well are very opulent and luxurious.
Im sure, havent been to ME yet but look forward to it!
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

kyoto is getting enormous amount of hotel construction (multiple marriott) rates are imsane
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by helvetic
There is absolutely nothing luxurious about Grand Hyatts. The NYC location is an absolute dump. The others I've stayed in were also lackluster (e.g. Tokyo — nice but nothing compared to Andaz or PH)
Always oddities, but I disagree on the whole.
As for NYC, one could also argue that Andaz Wall street is a 'dump', and PH NY fails on so many fronts for a 'luxury property'.

Last edited by MarkOK; Dec 17, 2018 at 8:08 am
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by steveholt
There are plenty of very nice GHs. GH Kuala Lumpur is luxurious. GH Seattle is fantastic. GH DFW is one of the best airport hotels on the planet. GHs in DC, Denver, HK are all quite comfortable.
Yes. And, I would add GH Atlanta Buckhead to that list as well.

The thing about these properties is that they will do the little things that a lot of HRs by and large don't do (i.e. folded towels on every treadmill, stocked supplies such as razors in the gym bathroom; have a car service; have the NYTimes; actually have a porter ready to help you with luggage). In my experiences, I have never had a special request take more than 5 minutes to be taken care of at a GH. Too many times at HR's, its taken hours for someone to bring something up the room.

If I was staying just one night, it probably doesn't matter between a GH and HR. But if I am staying for a week, I'd rather be at a GH (except NYC of course)

Last edited by MarkOK; Dec 17, 2018 at 10:43 am
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarkOK
Too many times at HR's, its taken hours for someone to bring something up the room.
Or never gets done!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:16 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Always oddities, but I disagree on the whole.
As for NYC, one could also argue that Andaz Wall street is a 'dump', and PH NY fails on so many fronts for a 'luxury property'.
I think you'd be much more hard pressed to justify calling the Andaz Wall Street a dump. It's not the best in the portfolio, but is totally acceptable. The location is of course Wall St., which is not great. Anyways, my most frequented spot is rather the 5th Ave location anyways, which is pretty damn great!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
I think you'd be much more hard pressed to justify calling the Andaz Wall Street a dump. It's not the best in the portfolio, but is totally acceptable. The location is of course Wall St., which is not great. Anyways, my most frequented spot is rather the 5th Ave location anyways, which is pretty damn great!
I like Andaz Wall street just fine, but it's gym is in the basement, it's breakfast is pretty bad, it's hardware is showing age, and it's service is iffy. I would rank it at or just below the 'average' US HR -- far from anything 'luxury'. The point is that GH NYC:GH :: Andaz Wall Street:Andaz. They are bad representations of the brand at large, let's not obfuscate the discussion by cherry picking bad "apples".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.