Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Any real difference between Grand Hyatt and Hyatt Regency?

Any real difference between Grand Hyatt and Hyatt Regency?

Old Dec 17, 18, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

many PH, GH, andaz are at a lower end vs the top end of those brands

but this applies to every brand higher than hyatt's top brands as well
Old Dec 18, 18, 1:03 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

It must be a very fine line between Grands and Regencys since some have transitioned into Grands. Like, GH Incheon and GH Hangzhou were both Regencys before.
Old Dec 18, 18, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
It must be a very fine line between Grands and Regencys since some have transitioned into Grands. Like, GH Incheon and GH Hangzhou were both Regencys before.
Singapore too.

I'd say there's a big delta between GHHK and HRTST. The clubs are not in the same ballpark and the rooms are also noticeably nicer at GHHK after the most recent refit.
Old Dec 18, 18, 3:01 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Coathanger View Post
Singapore too.

I'd say there's a big delta between GHHK and HRTST. The clubs are not in the same ballpark and the rooms are also noticeably nicer at GHHK after the most recent refit.
Some might be easier to convert than others for sure. I couldn't see HR Tokyo replacing the current GH.
Old Dec 18, 18, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
IIRC Tampa Bay is another example. Also Manchester Hyatt in San Diego seems to have transitioned from Regency to Grand. Bothe of these properties did extensive renovations around the same time.

Incheon became Grand around the time its new tower opened, which roughly doubled the hotel's size and added a swimming pool and at least one additional F&B outlet, plus the lounge in the new tower. [Please don't ask me which is east versus west as I find that designation very confusing, especially when I'm jetlagged.]

I seem to remember chain hotels with Grand (or similar) in their names as something that started in Asia, for example with Seoul GH and also a Grand Hilton there. Tokyo had the Century which became HR and Shanghai has some Century Marriott. There's also the place, IIRC Marriott, in the Osaka train station and I think a couple other hotels in Japan. A similar example would be the Arabella designation in Europe for hotels in Germany and Spain. To me, it's confusing as I don't know whether this just means a larger hotel or whether it's meant to suggest higher quality.

The word grand has connotations of being fancy (or perhaps more formal) in English but merely large in French. In fact, in France, it seems that every little town has it's own unbranded Grand Hotel, most of which fail to be grand in either sense. They're typically older properties that tend to be a bit run down, old, worn, and sometimes downright depressing.
Old Dec 18, 18, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
The word grand has connotations of being fancy (or perhaps more formal) in English but merely large in French. In fact, in France, it seems that every little town has it's own unbranded Grand Hotel, most of which fail to be grand in either sense. They're typically older properties that tend to be a bit run down, old, worn, and sometimes downright depressing.
My favorite Grand remains the Grand Budapest Hotel.
Old Dec 29, 18, 8:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MarkOK View Post
Always oddities, but I disagree on the whole.
As for NYC, one could also argue that Andaz Wall street is a 'dump', and PH NY fails on so many fronts for a 'luxury property'.
The word "dump" is being used far too loosely in this thread. Andaz Wall Street is a dump now? lol c'mon man.
Old Dec 29, 18, 7:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat Pro, World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriot "member"
Originally Posted by kapooncha View Post
The word "dump" is being used far too loosely in this thread. Andaz Wall Street is a dump now? lol c'mon man.
See my reply to a similar rebuttal on post number 30 above.