Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Any real difference between Grand Hyatt and Hyatt Regency?

Any real difference between Grand Hyatt and Hyatt Regency?

Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

many PH, GH, andaz are at a lower end vs the top end of those brands

but this applies to every brand higher than hyatt's top brands as well
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

It must be a very fine line between Grands and Regencys since some have transitioned into Grands. Like, GH Incheon and GH Hangzhou were both Regencys before.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Aventine
It must be a very fine line between Grands and Regencys since some have transitioned into Grands. Like, GH Incheon and GH Hangzhou were both Regencys before.
Singapore too.

I'd say there's a big delta between GHHK and HRTST. The clubs are not in the same ballpark and the rooms are also noticeably nicer at GHHK after the most recent refit.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Coathanger
Singapore too.

I'd say there's a big delta between GHHK and HRTST. The clubs are not in the same ballpark and the rooms are also noticeably nicer at GHHK after the most recent refit.
Some might be easier to convert than others for sure. I couldn't see HR Tokyo replacing the current GH.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Aventine
IIRC Tampa Bay is another example. Also Manchester Hyatt in San Diego seems to have transitioned from Regency to Grand. Bothe of these properties did extensive renovations around the same time.

Incheon became Grand around the time its new tower opened, which roughly doubled the hotel's size and added a swimming pool and at least one additional F&B outlet, plus the lounge in the new tower. [Please don't ask me which is east versus west as I find that designation very confusing, especially when I'm jetlagged.]

I seem to remember chain hotels with Grand (or similar) in their names as something that started in Asia, for example with Seoul GH and also a Grand Hilton there. Tokyo had the Century which became HR and Shanghai has some Century Marriott. There's also the place, IIRC Marriott, in the Osaka train station and I think a couple other hotels in Japan. A similar example would be the Arabella designation in Europe for hotels in Germany and Spain. To me, it's confusing as I don't know whether this just means a larger hotel or whether it's meant to suggest higher quality.

The word grand has connotations of being fancy (or perhaps more formal) in English but merely large in French. In fact, in France, it seems that every little town has it's own unbranded Grand Hotel, most of which fail to be grand in either sense. They're typically older properties that tend to be a bit run down, old, worn, and sometimes downright depressing.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The word grand has connotations of being fancy (or perhaps more formal) in English but merely large in French. In fact, in France, it seems that every little town has it's own unbranded Grand Hotel, most of which fail to be grand in either sense. They're typically older properties that tend to be a bit run down, old, worn, and sometimes downright depressing.
My favorite Grand remains the Grand Budapest Hotel.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MarkOK
Always oddities, but I disagree on the whole.
As for NYC, one could also argue that Andaz Wall street is a 'dump', and PH NY fails on so many fronts for a 'luxury property'.
The word "dump" is being used far too loosely in this thread. Andaz Wall Street is a dump now? lol c'mon man.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by kapooncha
The word "dump" is being used far too loosely in this thread. Andaz Wall Street is a dump now? lol c'mon man.
See my reply to a similar rebuttal on post number 30 above.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:27 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Being relatively new to Hyatt (fleeing from Marriott's bad customer service) I can't figure out the difference between GH & HR. I've asked staff at GH and they all say positioned higher than HR. Staff at HR have said the opposite.

1) I prefer the hard product for HR over GH in BJ & BKK for example

2) But prefer GH HK over HR for hard product but not service or location

3) I've found GH Seoul and Guangzhou to be so-so but the one in SH to be great even if old

It seems to me there is brand confusion and that luxury is based on newness of property and region? I am still confused so going on a case but case basis

I've chosen PH Sydney over HR for a trip in a few weeks as the HR was an old Sheraton 4 Points. Unless massive renovation done, I'm not sure how a 4P can be a luxury hotel.

If I am a STR, LC type of customer, I'm guessing I'll prefer PH & newer GH and HR. I've also really liked the Alilas and will try Joie this week
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
https://www.hyatt.com/development/ou...s/hyattregency

vs.

https://www.hyatt.com/development/ourbrands/grandhyatt

Hyatt fancies GH as luxury, while HR is upper-upscale. That really is the extent of it. Now, I don't think among self-described Luxury brands that there is any disagreement that GH is the lower-end of these brands (compared to Andaz or PH), but the purpose of the GH brand is clearly to differentiate that you should expect more at a GH than the nearby HR. And I agree for the most part from my experiences in the US (DFW, Atlanta, Washington DC, Denver, San Fran). Not that there isn't going to be some preferences that go the other way, but when I am booking hotels, I am expecting more service and finer finishes at GHs compared to HRs and indeed the GHs usually deliver.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SHLTP
Being relatively new to Hyatt (fleeing from Marriott's bad customer service) I can't figure out the difference between GH & HR. I've asked staff at GH and they all say positioned higher than HR. Staff at HR have said the opposite.

1) I prefer the hard product for HR over GH in BJ & BKK for example

2) But prefer GH HK over HR for hard product but not service or location

3) I've found GH Seoul and Guangzhou to be so-so but the one in SH to be great even if old

It seems to me there is brand confusion and that luxury is based on newness of property and region? I am still confused so going on a case but case basis

I've chosen PH Sydney over HR for a trip in a few weeks as the HR was an old Sheraton 4 Points. Unless massive renovation done, I'm not sure how a 4P can be a luxury hotel.

If I am a STR, LC type of customer, I'm guessing I'll prefer PH & newer GH and HR. I've also really liked the Alilas and will try Joie this week
PH Sydney is in another league than the HR. If you're a StR and LC type of customer then you're probably better off sticking with PHs when possible.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been told by Hyatt/HR managers that a large part of the brand standard for HR is the amount and type of meeting/function space. For example, a lounge isn't required and restaurant offerings can be fairly minimal.

IME GH tend to be larger hotels, including some huge convention properties (such as Manchester GH in San Diego, rebranded from HR). The GH lounges tend to be larger and better than HR on average. Obviously the signage, branding, and toiletries are different too.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:17 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Out of the all the non-US Regencys and GHs I stayed in, GH is certainly any notches higher in terms of service, size, amenities and offerings than the Regencys. More modern too.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Could it be in many cases like the difference(s) between Chevy, Buick and Pontiac of the 1980’s? Little bit of lipstick (sometimes on a pig), lots of hype (advertising), sometimes big bucks; ultimately very little significant consistent difference.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the US most (not all) HR lounges have really terrible breakfast (it's the same standard stuff at most of them). This is unfortunately true even at some really nice HRs.

I think GHs tend to be bigger and more upscale in general (which does not necessarily equate to better). GH tends to be my favorite brand in general.

Also I think that when you go to resort-type hotels the difference becomes harder to notice. There are some very nice HR resorts. But in urban areas with both GH and HR, the GHs tend to be nicer (the only exception that I can think of off the top of my head is San Francisco. The HR on market is also one of the exceptions to the rule of terrible food in HR lounges; it's great there)

Last edited by VegasGambler; Apr 3, 2022 at 11:50 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.