Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Timing on WOH Visa $5K spend 2 qualifying nights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Timing on WOH Visa $5K spend 2 qualifying nights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Colin
It has been my general observation these past few months that my WOH Qualifying Nights YTD counter has been incremented by 2 for $5K spend thresholds on my Chase WOH Visa at around the time of Chase statement closure.

Is this observation consistent with your experience?

My Chase WOH Visa statement for December has closed.
I am $1K in spend away from my next $5K threshold.
If I hit $1K in spend during Dec 2018, my theory is that those 2 qualifying nights will post to my WOH account for 2019 (and not 2018).
I spoke to a Chase supervisor today who confirmed that the 2 qualifying nights (per $5K spend) transfer into WOH just after the Chase statement close date.
WOH credits the 2 qualifying nights based upon the Chase statement close date.
The $5K spend threshold never resets to zero - a continuous counter so you never loose out on any spend not counting to the $5K threshold.
LIH Prem and MasterPlanner like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect that the supervisor is correct in this case, but there's no reason to believe that a supervisor (or any employee who you would ever talk to) has any particular knowledge into how the system works. They are just repeating their understanding of what they have been told (or maybe even just making assumptions about what they believe to be reasonable)

If you asked 10 different employees, I'm sure that all the answers would not match. I also wouldn't necessarily assume that the most common answer would be the correct one.

So... mitigate your risk accordingly, depending in how much you care that the outcome will match your assumptions
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
If I would have done it November, I would have been able to make my closing date later in the month. I will finish the year one night short of an extra TSU, and will have spent enough for two nights credit.

but it’s too late to change the closing date in 2018
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

my Chase statement closed on Dec 4.
i ticked over the next $5K threshold on Dec 15.
my Chase statement closed on Jan 4.
my WOH shows Jan 4 dated entries for the points earned from Chase AND a Dec 31 dated entry for 2 qualifying nights at $5K.
so, it looks like my prediction above was incorrect.

i say “looks like” because my WOH also shows a Dec 31 dated entry for 5 qualifying nights.
i know this because i called to get a detailed description of the entries.
this entry should clearly be for 2019, as these 5 nights already posted for 2018 and has not for 2019.
perhaps both entres, the 5 and the 2, should be dated Jan 1.

the way it stands now i am 7 nights over my plan for 2018 and 7 under for 2019.

VegasGambler likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Colin
my Chase statement closed on Dec 4.
i ticked over the next $5K threshold on Dec 15.
my Chase statement closed on Jan 4.
my WOH shows Jan 4 dated entries for the points earned from Chase AND a Dec 31 dated entry for 2 qualifying nights at $5K.
so, it looks like my prediction above was incorrect.

i say “looks like” because my WOH also shows a Dec 31 dated entry for 5 qualifying nights.
i know this because i called to get a detailed description of the entries.
this entry should clearly be for 2019, as these 5 nights already posted for 2018 and has not for 2019.
perhaps both entres, the 5 and the 2, should be dated Jan 1.

the way it stands now i am 7 nights over my plan for 2018 and 7 under for 2019.

Thanks for posting that information. Please update if there are any changes to how Hyatt credited those nights - I'm mostly interested in the 2 night credit for $5K spend. I'd expect them to fix the 5 night 2018/9 thing; I'm not surprised considering the crack IT team at Hyatt.
Also, can you let us know if the $5K counter was zeroed at the end of the calendar year?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Thanks for posting that information. Please update if there are any changes to how Hyatt credited those nights - I'm mostly interested in the 2 night credit for $5K spend. I'd expect them to fix the 5 night 2018/9 thing; I'm not surprised considering the crack IT team at Hyatt.
Also, can you let us know if the $5K counter was zeroed at the end of the calendar year?
I hope not; I have $1100 of "overflow" spend there.

It seems like kind of a rip-off to zero it out, but if they really did credit on Dec 31 for mid-statement spend (which it sounds like they did) it wouldn't surprise me if it was zeroed. If it's not, then I really am impressed with Chase calculating this correctly.

I have a statement closing in a couple of days but I won't be able to tell from that if it was zeroed or not.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I hope not; I have $1100 of "overflow" spend there.

It seems like kind of a rip-off to zero it out, but if they really did credit on Dec 31 for mid-statement spend (which it sounds like they did) it wouldn't surprise me if it was zeroed. If it's not, then I really am impressed with Chase calculating this correctly.

I have a statement closing in a couple of days but I won't be able to tell from that if it was zeroed or not.
Zeroing out at end of calendar year can go either way; I have no insight on what will happen.
However, I will say that the addition of being able to earn night credit with spend on their credit card makes Hyatt's program one of the easiest hacks for top tier status among hotel chains. Add in getting credit for points nights makes the current Hyatt program easier to get top status than the old 50night/25stay requirement.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Zeroing out at end of calendar year can go either way; I have no insight on what will happen.
However, I will say that the addition of being able to earn night credit with spend on their credit card makes Hyatt's program one of the easiest hacks for top tier status among hotel chains. Add in getting credit for points nights makes the current Hyatt program easier to get top status than the old 50night/25stay requirement.
Agreed. They’ve really done a 180 here.

My statement closes today, so I should have some data points soon.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by josephstern

Agreed. They’ve really done a 180 here.

My statement closes today, so I should have some data points soon.
They were essentially forced to. I spent the last year just burning points without paying for hotel rooms so I hadn't been monitoring room rates. However, I'm now based out of SFO and I was in shock at how inexpensive the airport HR was over the holidays. I was able to get rooms multiple nights for $85. Hilton and Marriott couldn't compete; even their budget brands near the airport were a bit more expensive.

I hadn't stayed at the SFO airport HR much in the past, but I did notice (I used a couple of club certs) that the lounge was very crowded, especially when one factors in the low occupancy rate. That's probably due to the Explorist club certs; those likely increase lounge access quite a bit. It was one of the most crowded Hyatt lounges I'd seen, although the San Francisco HR on Embarcadero was very crowded when we stayed there 4th of July weekend a couple of years ago.

Even those changes (credit card nights, night credit for award nights) may not be enough to win back the once loyal 20-40 night/yr customers they lost with the higher stay requirements. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hyatt lower the requirements or go with double night credits (effectively halving qualification requirements) when the hotel business softens a bit. Eventually, they'll have to accept lowering the qualification requirements.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:26 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I had $20k spend in late December (after my statement date) and $20k spend in early January (before my statement date). I was expecting 40/5*2 = 16 night credit in 2019 but only got 8 night credit (plus the 5 nights for simply having the card). That means the $20k spend in late December counted for 2018 not 2019.

I timed my purchases specifically to reach 100 nights in 2018 and nothing more, but sounds like I ended at 108 nights instead, so I am "losing" the 8 nights which I would have preferred to count in 2019 not 2018. Had I known that they were using December 31st as the cut-off rather than the statement closing date, I would have timed my large expense differently.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by escape4
I had $20k spend in late December (after my statement date) and $20k spend in early January (before my statement date). I was expecting 40/5*2 = 16 night credit in 2019 but only got 8 night credit (plus the 5 nights for simply having the card). That means the $20k spend in late December counted for 2018 not 2019.

I timed my purchases specifically to reach 100 nights in 2018 and nothing more, but sounds like I ended at 108 nights instead, so I am "losing" the 8 nights which I would have preferred to count in 2019 not 2018. Had I known that they were using December 31st as the cut-off rather than the statement closing date, I would have timed my large expense differently.
It never made sense that any full $5,000 increments accrued before Dec. 31 would carry over to 2019. Not sure how that became the default assumption here.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:49 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by joe_miami
It never made sense that any full $5,000 increments accrued before Dec. 31 would carry over to 2019. Not sure how that became the default assumption here.
Well among other things, @Colin spoke to a supervisor in the first half of December who said that is how it would work. Obviously nobody can have the right answers 100% of the time, but it's easy to see how people on FT got to believe that is how it was more likely to work.

I spoke to a Chase supervisor today who confirmed that the 2 qualifying nights (per $5K spend) transfer into WOH just after the Chase statement close date.
WOH credits the 2 qualifying nights based upon the Chase statement close date.
The $5K spend threshold never resets to zero - a continuous counter so you never loose out on any spend not counting to the $5K threshold.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

and followed up a few days ago to Chase requesting a manual adjustment, based upon the advice from the Chase supervisor on Dec 12th.
they politely declined on IT systems grounds as not possible and gave me 5K WOH points as apology.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Nothing therein suggests 2018 spending would count for 2019; only that any earned nights would post after a statement closing date.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

escape4 - do you know that you got 108 nights in 2018?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.