Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Experiences - Point Upgrades to Premium Suites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 59Impala
Please list properties where you have managed to upgrade to a Premium Suite with 9'000 points. Please list alphabetically by country, then state, if applicable to the US:

General Format:

Hotel name, confirmed suite name, rate type paid, rate, date, additional comments if any.
Please use the exact suite and hotel name as stated on the website/confirmed in your reservation e-mail to avoid any confusion

Abbreviations:
PH = Park Hyatt
GH = Grand Hyatt
HR = Hyatt Regency
HC = Hyatt Centric
HH = Hyatt House
HP = Hyatt Place (not valid)
MR = Miraval Resort
UC = The Unbound Collection

China
PH Beijing, Penthouse Suite, ~USD 250, Feb/March 2019
PH Ningbo Resort and Spa, Park Executive Suite, ¥1800/night, Nov 2019
GH Shanghai, Diplomat Sutie, ¥1020/night (=Standard Rate of that day), Jan 2020

France
HR Paris Etoile - booked and received Executive Suite, no further upgrade (description says Eiffel Tower view but our suite didn't have it so assuming they didn't give us a nice one)

Italy
PH Milan, 510 plus 9,000 points for a Park Executive Suite, November 2019.

Japan
GH Fukuoka, Diplomat Suite ~ USD 185/Night, March 2022 & 2023
PH Tokyo, Diplomat Suite ~ USD 625/Night, Feb/March 2019

Korea
PH Seoul, Diplomat Suite ~ USD 275, Feb/March 2019

St. Kitts
PH St. Kitts, Park Executive Suite, Daily Rate, USD 768.18, Feb 2019 - Daily Rate not mentioned on the website, but quoted by my concierge, about 56 USD higher than "standard rate", my corporate rate is not valid for Premium Suite upgrade

Thailand
HR Bangkok, Regency Deluxe Suite, 6500 THB

United Arab Emirates
PH Abu Dhabi, Prince Suite (Premium), USD 438, March 2020
PH Dubai, Park Executive Suite (Premium), USD 244, April 2020
PH Dubai, Park Terrace Suite (Standard), USD 244, April 2020

United States

California

HR San Francisco, Luxury Suite, USD 299
GH SFO Airport, Executive Suite, USD 259, December 2019

Florida
GH Tampa Bay, Bayview Suite, USD 243, Jan/Feb 2024

Hawaii
HR Waikiki, Penthouse Suite, USD 359
Print Wikipost

Experiences - Point Upgrades to Premium Suites

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:00 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by jinrop
I have called a few times and am always getting a run around about only being able to do points + cash bookings for premium suite ugrades. It always comes at some outrageous rate. Ive called back three times and the rate they are offering me is almost as much as just paying for the suite outright and double the standard room rate. I don't understand whats going on.
I had this problem recently as well. Looks like there's a whole new (unadvertised) way to book these rooms, and doesn't seem like there'll be any value in it. Sounds like they have seperate inventory for this, so if cash+9K for premium is unavailable, this new inventory might still be.

Upcoming booking at GH SFO Airport, they initially saw the P+C, but were still able to find cash plus points upgrade.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:38 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I booked a couple of "premium suites" at the cash (standard rate) + 9k points earlier today. The rate code noted in the reservations is 51440, which is the same rate code for points+cash rates. It looks like Hyatt overloaded this rate code, and it doesn't sound too surprising that agents are only seeing points + cash rates
Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by skj
I booked a couple of "premium suites" at the cash (standard rate) + 9k points earlier today. The rate code noted in the reservations is 51440, which is the same rate code for points+cash rates. It looks like Hyatt overloaded this rate code, and it doesn't sound too surprising that agents are only seeing points + cash rates
So what you are saying is that maybe when agent said cash + points, cash means the base rate we pay for the standard room?
Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:20 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Ausriver
So what you are saying is that maybe when agent said cash + points, cash means the base rate we pay for the standard room?
It's hard to say what the agent meant. If they quoted 6k points + cash, that may be for a standard suite, but a premium suite is supposed to be 9k points. In my case, I knew the rates for a standard king room and that was the cash price the agent quoted and that appears in my reservation. It was not 50% of the rate for a suite, as it would be under a Points+Cash rate for a premium suite.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by skj
I knew the rates for a standard king room and that was the cash price the agent quoted and that appears in my reservation.
This was my experience last week.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 8:11 pm

Here is another DP:

Park Hyatt Ningbo Resort and Spa, Park Executive Suite, ¥1800/night, Nov 2019

I noticed this is the rate of 1 King Bed with Lake View on that day and is ¥400 more expensive than the most basic unit. Nonetheless, with the Park Executive Suite retailing at ~6000/night, I can't really complain that much.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:44 am

Park Hyatt Milan, 510 plus 9,000 points for a Park Executive Suite, November 2019.

Rate: Upgrade Premium Suite - CR51440
59Impala and hp12c like this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
I think those Yen amounts are missing a digit...

Originally Posted by yuzheny
Here is another DP:

Park Hyatt Ningbo Resort and Spa, Park Executive Suite, ¥1800/night, Nov 2019

I noticed this is the rate of 1 King Bed with Lake View on that day and is ¥400 more expensive than the most basic unit. Nonetheless, with the Park Executive Suite retailing at ~6000/night, I can't really complain that much.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 6:16 pm
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by sensei
I think those Yen amounts are missing a digit...

that was my first thought too....... it is Chinese Yuan... then it is correct from a digit perspective. Hotel is in China.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:17 am

Premium Suite with Points

I was looking to books a suite at a Hyatt about 10 months ahead of time (I'm a planner). I had planned to use a TSU but all standard suites were taken. This appears legitimate as when I looked on the hotel's website, there were no standard suites available during that time. However, it did show the availability of two different types of premium suites. For clarity, these are the ones explicitly labeled "premium" - I'm not angling to get the Presidential suite or anything.

Despite availability on the website, and my willingness to drop double points, I have been informed that there are no premium suites available. No one has explained the discrepancy. For the record, I am going during a generally "high" season, but I'm NOT trying to get a room on points at the Lexington Hyatt during the Kentucky Derby or anything stupid like that.

Anyone have any thoughts? The program rules are a little vague on premium suites.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:48 am

It seems not all premium suites are eligible to be booked by points. I assume you were informed when you called into general WOH, is that correct?

Last edited by tearex; Nov 25, 2019 at 10:50 am Reason: Removed reference to upgrade thread which is not relevant.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Matt the Coffeeman
I was looking to books a suite at a Hyatt about 10 months ahead of time (I'm a planner). I had planned to use a TSU but all standard suites were taken. This appears legitimate as when I looked on the hotel's website, there were no standard suites available during that time. However, it did show the availability of two different types of premium suites. For clarity, these are the ones explicitly labeled "premium" - I'm not angling to get the Presidential suite or anything.

Despite availability on the website, and my willingness to drop double points, I have been informed that there are no premium suites available. No one has explained the discrepancy. For the record, I am going during a generally "high" season, but I'm NOT trying to get a room on points at the Lexington Hyatt during the Kentucky Derby or anything stupid like that.

Anyone have any thoughts? The program rules are a little vague on premium suites.
Yes, rules are vague. Send a Twitter DM to @HyattConcierge, they can tell you exactly which premium suites are eligible for a points upgrade. At most hotels, they designate one or two of their premiums suite types as eligible.
The website just labels every suite above Standard as "Premium" (ie - you can't use a TSU on it). But not all of those categories are eligible for upgrade to via extra points.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:27 pm

Thanks - however, that thread is dedicated to people who have used points at check-in (swear to various deities that I did a search before posting). Here, I am actually booking in advance for double points (e.g. if 20k for an award night, premium suite is available for 40k). As far as I can tell, there hasn't been any threads on that experience.
Agreed. I too had a question about this awhile back and could not find a thread. Looks like yours has been merged with this old one so there's still no dedicated thread for points bookings (to be differentiated from points upgrades)

fwiw, I have not been able to book a premium suite on points either, but I did do several standard suite points bookings and note I was able to get them done in sort of a HUACA fashion. There was a couple days in between my requests so it is possible that availability opened up in that time in between, but this was at two separate hotels. So I think it is also possible the agent I spoke with wasn't as good/capable? I imagine, however, that premium suite availability is far tighter.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 4:17 pm

Thanks - however, that thread is dedicated to people who have used points at check-in (swear to various deities that I did a search before posting). Here, I am actually booking in advance for double points (e.g. if 20k for an award night, premium suite is available for 40k). As far as I can tell, there hasn't been any threads on that experience.
This thread is in fact for people who book in advance, either via Booking Standard rate + 6K/9K points upgrade or entirely using points. (Or even the new option for Cash+Points Suite booking). In fact, AFAIK there is no way to upgrade using points on check-in.

Originally Posted by projectmaximus
Agreed. I too had a question about this awhile back and could not find a thread. Looks like yours has been merged with this old one so there's still no dedicated thread for points bookings (to be differentiated from points upgrades).
fwiw, I have not been able to book a premium suite on points either, but I did do several standard suite points bookings and note I was able to get them done in sort of a HUACA fashion. There was a couple days in between my requests so it is possible that availability opened up in that time in between, but this was at two separate hotels. So I think it is also possible the agent I spoke with wasn't as good/capable? I imagine, however, that premium suite availability is far tighter.
IMO there really isn't enough differentiation between booking a standard rate and upgrading with points or solely using points to justify a seperate dedicated thread. The award inventory may be somewhat different, but the qualifying suites would be the same.

Agree that some agents are more adept than others at accomplishing these bookings, although it seems it has vastly improved since the program start.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 9:54 pm

It seems the new points+cash option for suites and premium suites are now advertised on the website. Normally I'd consider this a good thing, but IME thus far it seems Standard room rate+ 9,000 points inventory has been cut back.

Today's example: attempted to book Penthouse suite at HR Waikiki. Would have been $399+ 9K points per night.
Instead, they are offering it at $499 + 20K points per night.

I presume that soon enough the standard rate+ 9K points will vanish altogether.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.