Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels and alarm clocks!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Hotels and alarm clocks!!

Mini-rant here - what are everyone's thoughts as to housekeeping's responsibility to turn off alarm clocks? Stayed at the Hyatt Regency Dallas recently and the alarm clock went off at 4AM. When I enter a new room, it should be like a blank slate, right? No evidence of prior guests. First world problem?
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
I’m a bit cranky after a long haul so I won’t post my very first thought. I’ll simply say that the hotel staff is not given much time to flip a room. Productivity, target goals, yada, yada, yada. Simply make checking the alarm, 30 seconds of your time tops including figuring out how to disarm that darn thing, part of your check-in ritual. Kudos to you for recognizing this is, indeed, a FWP
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do it for about five stays after I get burned, then I forget until I get burned again.

I generally find find zero problems during those five checks.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I always simply unplug the alarm clock. Takes 10 seconds and avoids all hassles.

I don't think that it is a housekeeping function at anything short of a true luxury property where everything is a housekeeping (or other) function.
trooper likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by josephstern
I do it for about five stays after I get burned, then I forget until I get burned again.

I generally find find zero problems during those five checks.
Yeah, going to have to start checking when I check-in. I had ordered room service breakfast on a card the night before and forgot to put down what time to send it so they called me at 12:30am to figure out what time to send it. That combined with 4AM alarm means annoyance all around. But all of it is pretty much self-induced so can't complain too much I guess.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Often1
I always simply unplug the alarm clock.
In most hotels, I need to do that just to find a plug for my CPAP.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Hotel alarm clocks are going to be extinct in 5-10 years.

Like others I just unplug it...
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Hotel alarm clocks are going to be extinct in 5-10 years.
And we were supposed to have flying cars, personal robots, and a paperless office before the year 2000, too.
59Impala, windscar and trooper like this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Just unplug it or take the battery out.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:28 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
Originally Posted by Often1
I don't think that it is a housekeeping function at anything short of a true luxury property where everything is a housekeeping (or other) function.
I am the housekeeping manager of a forty-room hotel, and alarm clock's being left on is a pet peeve of mine. I do not expect the housekeepers to check if alarms are set, but I do expect the supervisor inspecting a room to check.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by thenumblehigwoo
Mini-rant here - what are everyone's thoughts as to housekeeping's responsibility to turn off alarm clocks? Stayed at the Hyatt Regency Dallas recently and the alarm clock went off at 4AM. When I enter a new room, it should be like a blank slate, right? No evidence of prior guests. First world problem?
Unplug it and put it in a drawer wrapped with the extra blanket. Or unplug it and take out the backup battery. Use your own clock. Or check to see if it is on and turn it off.

I think a more legitimate complaint for all hotels and the fancier, the worse this is, is the weird clocks and clock radios with no manuals that it takes an MIT engineer to figure out how to set or even turn on the radio. Now with USB Lightning, docking stations, dual time zones.
But no instructions, and no list of radio stations so if you do figure it out it awakes you with the all EDM radio station or worse the all string quartet station which is so soft you can't wake up to it.

In a hotel like Hyatt it is reasonable to think other than the grand opening, that there were prior guests, no evidence needed. If you want evidence, not recommended, but turn on a UV light. Eek!
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
The housekeeping supervisor who signs off on the room should have this on their checklist even if the housekeeping staff themselves don't get around to do it.

It just avoids problems such as guests complaining. Especially rooms coded VIP (Suite, Club, Tier Guests).
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by In2ishn
I’m a bit cranky after a long haul so I won’t post my very first thought. I’ll simply say that the hotel staff is not given much time to flip a room. Productivity, target goals, yada, yada, yada. Simply make checking the alarm, 30 seconds of your time tops including figuring out how to disarm that darn thing, part of your check-in ritual. Kudos to you for recognizing this is, indeed, a FWP
It takes 3 seconds for someone from Housekeeping to check this.

As someone noted, it's supposed to be on the checklist for turning a room vacant/ready.

This doesn't happen nearly as often as it used to, fortunately.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:50 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Agree, it should be on the checklist of housekeeping. as they would check this in all rooms, they would know in an instant how to set the right time, turn off the alarm, set/unset DST... and would not need to be an MIT engineer.
I have woken up many times because of the alarm around 4 am, especially at airport locations..

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Unplug it and put it in a drawer wrapped with the extra blanket. Or unplug it and take out the backup battery. Use your own clock. Or check to see if it is on and turn it off.

I think a more legitimate complaint for all hotels and the fancier, the worse this is, is the weird clocks and clock radios with no manuals that it takes an MIT engineer to figure out how to set or even turn on the radio. Now with USB Lightning, docking stations, dual time zones.
But no instructions, and no list of radio stations so if you do figure it out it awakes you with the all EDM radio station or worse the all string quartet station which is so soft you can't wake up to it.

In a hotel like Hyatt it is reasonable to think other than the grand opening, that there were prior guests, no evidence needed. If you want evidence, not recommended, but turn on a UV light. Eek!
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
The housekeeping supervisor who signs off on the room should have this on their checklist even if the housekeeping staff themselves don't get around to do it.

It just avoids problems such as guests complaining. Especially rooms coded VIP (Suite, Club, Tier Guests).
Originally Posted by hotturnip
It takes 3 seconds for someone from Housekeeping to check this.

As someone noted, it's supposed to be on the checklist for turning a room vacant/ready.

This doesn't happen nearly as often as it used to, fortunately.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:42 am

In an ideal World, Housekeeping would have a ton of time to attend to everything. Realistically, a clean room is the most important thing. The alarm clocks can be tricky, and let’s face it, most people don’t know how to operate them. So, just unplug it when you get in the room, or turn off the alarm and you’ll be good to go. I haven’t used one in years. My phone is sufficient. I’d be okay with them getting eliminated from hotel rooms in the near future.
In2ishn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.