Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thessaloniki, Greece: Hyatt or Excelsior (SLH)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:23 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

The Excelsior (SLH) can now be booked for 12K points/night. Folks have seemed indifferent to the Hyatt and have mentioned that it doesn't have a great location. The Excelsior is top rated on TripAdvisor. Is anyone familiar with both and can compare them? Or familiar with the Excelsior and can comment on it?
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

I'm bumping my question in hopes that someone has stayed at the Excelsior by now. Thoughts?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'm bumping my question in hopes that someone has stayed at the Excelsior by now. Thoughts?
I was by both hotels last month. I stayed at the Hyatt because it was for an overnight airport transit at SKG but I was visiting an associate staying at Excelsior. The Hyatt has a free shuttle bus but it has to be called.

The hotels are very different in terms of location, plant/facilities and service levels. Unless it were for the pool and/or an airport transit stay (or for driving/parking reasons), I would suggest staying at the Exelsior. The lounge at the Hyatt is a physically nice facility, but it had no service while I was there and its food and beverage offerings were a joke during the time I was there — so bare-bone that I recall having had more on offer from some Radisson hotel lounge in the US. I took breakfast in the restaurant and ate outside overlooking toward the pool.

I wasn’t impressed by the assigned rooms at either of these hotels, but they were both ok. For Hyatt members using points without Globalist status, I would say that Excelsior is the easy choice unless the 4K points means a lot in some way or another.
SanDiego1K likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 23, 2019 at 8:16 am
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
I haven't seen the rooms in the Excelsior, but its location is amazing. Right in the heart of the city. I usually stay around the corner at the Electra Palace. Location can't be beat.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Unless it were for the pool and/or an airport transit stay (or for driving/parking reasons), I would suggest staying at the Exelsior.
Thank you. This is very helpful. I was momentarily tempted by larger rooms at the Hyatt, but I do like the Excelsior's location in the heart of the city.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justforfun
I haven't seen the rooms in the Excelsior, but its location is amazing. Right in the heart of the city. I usually stay around the corner at the Electra Palace. Location can't be beat.
Thank you. We'll be there two nights, meeting San Diego friends one night who by random chance are overlapping our stay. They will be at the Makedonia Palace. Do you have a favorite restaurant to recommend?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The Excelsior’s rooms tend to be substantially smaller than the Hyatt’s. And bathrooms are also way more spacious at the Hyatt. I can’t comment about the AC system in the rooms at each hotel other than to say at the Hyatt I found the AC system annoying and instead had my balcony door left open to cool off my room and avoid the fan noise. That won’t be as good an option this summer as it was last month.

The regular paid hotel rates at the Excelsior can be low enough at times as not to always make it worth using points. Something I have had to remind myself to consider at times.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 23, 2019 at 8:45 am
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Both right around the corner from the Excelsior:

for dinner: https://www.gradanuevo.gr/

for dessert: http://www.plaisirbrasserie.gr

Will ask my local friends for more recommendations.

http://www.ble.com.gr
http://www.maganie.gr
https://www.loupino.gr/loupinoen/
SanDiego1K likes this.

Last edited by justforfun; Jun 23, 2019 at 9:25 am
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:15 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
We had friends who loved the Excelsior. They recommended this restaurant:

Kazika De Malta. It is in the Ano Ladadika neighborhood- they called it a “hidden gem “
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:13 am
Original Poster

I chose the Excelsior and was disappointed. Mind you, that doesn't mean I should have chosen the Hyatt. I did want to be in town. But if I cut loyalty program ties, perhaps the Makedonia Palace would be a better choice. I was concerned about small rooms at the Excelsior. I chose to spend the money for their top category, a suite. It was a waste of money. The bedroom is spacious with a sitting area at the end. There are two bathrooms between the bedroom and the sitting room. Thus, there's no flow or sense of space between the two. The living room is half the size of the bedroom and oddly furnished. It has six chairs and no sofa. Everything is a little shabby with no decor whatsoever. The hotel has a minuscule lobby and offers no alternative to the room as a place to relax. The water is two blocks away but the hotel is in a very busy commercial area so has no views whatsoever.

We drove to Thessaloniki and dropped our Sixt rental at an office just a few blocks away. The Hertz office was in the same block as Sixt.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 2:01 am
Original Poster

We had our best meal here on our two week trip. It's a tiny place, with half a dozen tables inside and four or so outside. The food is outstanding, including housemade burrata. Reservations are a must. I'd love to have one more night in Thessaloniki to eat here again.
damon88 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 7:20 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Stayed at the Thessaloniki a few weeks back.. I know I have to post a review on the main thread, but HR Thess was still amazing even when it was 50 degrees F.

Would return again if I visited during the summer. They recognize and treat globalists very well.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 7:50 pm

Thanks Gertjaars for the report! Did you happen to check out the Excelsior at all or only the Hyatt? Thinking of heading there next month and curious if there's any recent reports from the Excelsior...thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:29 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Only the Hyatt! It was on points and a steal when cash rates were still $180/night.

I wanted to be away from the city/away from being centrally located, which the Excelsior is the opposite.
Originally Posted by madderlake
Thanks Gertjaars for the report! Did you happen to check out the Excelsior at all or only the Hyatt? Thinking of heading there next month and curious if there's any recent reports from the Excelsior...thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I will be staying at both properties over the next week. I just checked into the Hyatt Regency Thessaloniki and found out that the Regency Suite I booked was upgraded to the Presidential Suite. It's massive with multiple balconies, a dining room that seats eight, a kitchen, and even its own private sauna. The grounds are beautiful and the lounge is nice. So far no complaints. I'll put together more after I stay at both.
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.