Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Family of Five Barefoot in the Hyatt Lounge

Family of Five Barefoot in the Hyatt Lounge

Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:15 pm

Curious about the health code claims ... because unless they are serving food on the floor or somebody is using "their left foot" to serve themselves, what is the heath code issue?

I found this, an interesting article ...

https://people.howstuffworks.com/whe...uired-come.htm

In fact, no U.S. state has a law requiring restaurant patrons wear shoes. The Society for Barefoot Living went to the trouble of including copies of letters from every state department of health in the country saying that while food service employees must wear "proper attire," there are no rules for patrons.
writerguyfl, muji and Kacee like this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:58 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Originally Posted by Badenoch
People should mind their own business and stop playing self-appointed hall monitor. No one was harmed by these hillbillies showing up without shoes and there was no reason to complain to the staff other than an overdeveloped sense of moral indignation. Unless their unshod feet are stepping on the buffet or your table their footwear or lack thereof is of absolutely no consequence.
I would not say that no one was harmed.

Even though the OP did not catch any bakteria or whatsoever or fell ill by the barefooted... the OP was „harmed“ as the situation made him/her feel very uncomfortable and OP was paying to access the lounge (or was entitled in another way) and hence has the right to enjoy himself, too. Not only the 5 barefooted were entitled to „enjoy“ themselves. Based on reactions in this thread probably 95% do not approve of barefeet in the lounge. So yes, the OP was harmed in a certain way.
notquiteaff and VegasGambler like this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Such first world problems
​At least they didn't put their feet on the table. I saw that a few weeks ago in the Star Alliance gold lounge in Addis Ababa.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Double entry
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No big deal.. not long ago ppl were complaining about others not dressing up for first class cabin.. ha!
I am not bothered by "visual" disruptions as they do not invade my personal space unlike for example noise, smell, mishandling of shared item incl food etc...
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:01 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Originally Posted by azepine00
I am not bothered by "visual" disruptions as they do not invade my personal space unlike for example noise, smell.... etc...
hmm... smell from bear feet?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Of course it violates a health code. The lounge employee should know that. It probably violates a hotel rule too as broken glass can lead to injuries and lawsuits.
Except it's not against the health code. Perhaps that lounge employee actually knew more about his or her job than you do.

The Society for Barefoot Living (which LIH Prem mentions) has fairly recent letters from the two agencies that deal with businesses serving food. Both agencies that confirm that there are no regulations that require customers to have shoes.

Minnesota Department of Health: http://www.barefooters.org/wp-conten...1/HD2018MN.pdf
Minnesota Department of Agriculture: http://www.barefooters.org/wp-conten...HDAG2017MN.pdf
The Society for Barefoot Living website: Society for Barefoot Living | Free Your Feet and Your Mind Will Follow
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:11 am

Me I always get dressed up when I go to the lounge, general I wear, a ripped T-shirt that I slept in, no shoes or socks , just my boxer shorts, my hair is very long so I let it hang free I find that if I just run my finger through my hair it looks great - I do not like to have as I hate the smell of soap- I have tried to use the knife and fork but find that my hands are more convenient! , I do not understand why they even bother to give a napkin when my sleeve ( on my t-shirt ) is so much easier to use -

strange that when I sit next to others in the lounge they leave -why is that?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
+1, although I find all this stuff about feet to be a global phenomenon. In Asia, god help you if you stop to tie your shoe and you put your foot on a subway seat or a park bench. Then there's the stuff about whether you can put your feet on the bulkhead wall or not (and evidently bare feet is grosser than shoes there too?), it's a lot to follow for someone like me who wears socks and shoes but who isn't inclined to care about those who don't.

Even worse is this seemingly accepted phenomenon of having your call on speakerphone for the whole world to hear both sides of it! Same with music, games, watching TV on phones. When I was a kid (i.e., the late '90s), you put your headphones on.

No, as far as I can tell, there is no health code anywhere in Minnesota that requires shoes in restaurants.

I suppose the hotel could have its own rule about shoes but I doubt the presence or absence of such a hotel rule would impact the likelihood of a plaintiff's success as an invitee in a hotel recovering for stepping on broken glass.
Are you sure? It's been quoted to me, although I'm not sure whether the regulation is claimed to apply at the state, county, or municipality (city) level.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by 59Impala

I would not say that no one was harmed.

Even though the OP did not catch any bakteria or whatsoever or fell ill by the barefooted... the OP was „harmed“ as the situation made him/her feel very uncomfortable and OP was paying to access the lounge (or was entitled in another way) and hence has the right to enjoy himself, too. Not only the 5 barefooted were entitled to „enjoy“ themselves. Based on reactions in this thread probably 95% do not approve of barefeet in the lounge. So yes, the OP was harmed in a certain way.
Harm? Uncomfortable is hardly "harm," neither is offended. Nevertheless he felt compelled to scamper to the nearest person of "authority" to complain about the unshod degrading the refinement of a breakfast lounge at a Hyatt in Minneapolis.

Unless he knew about a specific rule against bare feet he should have just minded his own business.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Goaguy
Such first world problems
​At least they didn't put their feet on the table. I saw that a few weeks ago in the Star Alliance gold lounge in Addis Ababa.
you must not spend a lot of time in lounges if that was your first encounter with “feet/shoes on furniture”.

It is rarely dealt with by lounge attendants because conflict avoidance is likely a high priority for them, but to their credit I have seen the staff at the Centurion Lounge at SEA ask people to please take their feet off the furniture that other people sit on or put their dishes/napkins on.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Major variance from mainstream standards in collective places do generate harm. An extreme case is swimwear at the opening night at the opera in New York City. Detracting from the overall ambiance of an event does inflict harm on others. A hotel lounge is not opening night at the opera but above the food court at a mall, at least I hope. Hopefully one can expect a complete set of clean clothing at least.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by AlanInDC
Major variance from mainstream standards in collective places do generate harm. An extreme case is swimwear at the opening night at the opera in New York City. Detracting from the overall ambiance of an event does inflict harm on others. A hotel lounge is not opening night at the opera but above the food court at a mall, at least I hope. Hopefully one can expect a complete set of clean clothing at least.
LOL. Harm? Being in the same breakfast lounge in middle-America with barefooted children? Harm would be if one of them kicked you in the face and broke your nose. Otherwise it is at worst an inconsequential affront that any adult would simple ignore with little more than perhaps a roll of the eyes.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
The Society for Barefoot Living (which LIH Prem mentions) has fairly recent letters from the two agencies that deal with businesses serving food. Both agencies that confirm that there are no regulations that require customers to have shoes.
I found that website to be extremely misleading. They go out of their way to point out that there are no state laws which require the patron to wear shoes (or, in fact, do anything other than not smoke). Of course, this is completely irrelevant, since most of these regulations are at the municipal level.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Goaguy
I see that pretty much every time I go to a United Club.
Originally Posted by 59Impala
hmm... smell from bear feet?
Now they're letting bears in? I'm pretty sure there's a law against that.
59Impala likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.