Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Help deciding between 2 Hyatt’s for upcoming DC trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:56 am
Original Poster

I have a 3 night stay for a friends wedding at the end of the month in Washington DC and will also be traveling with my dog, I have globalist status.

Due to a new business venture I am on a fairly tight budget. Given the below choice which would you pick?

HH the Wharf $135/night and $75 pet fee

PH DC $200/night and $150 pet fee. I was never really considering the PH but the rate has gradually dropped from $380 to $200 and now is not that far off from the HH.

Do you think the PH is worth the extra cash or save the money and stay at the newer HH? Thanks for your input!

the grand Hyatt at $136 would have been my choice but they do not allow dogs...
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:57 am

I'd go with the PH all the way. What a bargain! The breakfast quality there will 100x the HH....

PLUS - you may not even be charged for the pet. I've had it happen about 50% of the time at various Hyatts....
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Yes, at those prices, PH is the clear winner.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

PH for sure.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:45 am

PH absolutely, breakfast is amazing. Also, do you have access to AmEx FHR? You can get additional value with the PH.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tearex
PH absolutely, breakfast is amazing. Also, do you have access to AmEx FHR? You can get additional value with the PH.
Yes but the FHR rate is $50 more per night so it would not outweigh the $100 property credit from FHR.

It sounds like the PH is a much better property, thanks a lot for the help and making this an easy decision.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by slm9555
Yes but the FHR rate is $50 more per night so it would not outweigh the $100 property credit from FHR.
How about a Prive booking? I'm just guessing that you're quoting $200 for a member advance purchase rate, so standard rate would be something like $225-$230. I'd suggest a prive booking for night 1, then advance purchase for night 2-3. I'm not sure if the prive breakfast just matches the globalist breakfast at this property, but you'd get the $100 property credit at least for only an extra $30.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by WantOnlinePoker
How about a Prive booking? I'm just guessing that you're quoting $200 for a member advance purchase rate, so standard rate would be something like $225-$230. I'd suggest a prive booking for night 1, then advance purchase for night 2-3. I'm not sure if the prive breakfast just matches the globalist breakfast at this property, but you'd get the $100 property credit at least for only an extra $30.
Property credit at this PH may not make sense in OP's case if they are watching budget. Could cover a solo dinner or two days parking, but may not make sense if OP wasn't already planning to make those charges. Why pay for "credit" if hard cash is what they want to keep in pocket.

I have not booked a Prive rate here, but I imagine the breakfast is the same as globalist/FHR, which is $40 per person, per day. I've had luck with getting small overages to this limit removed, others were not so lucky.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

The rate that I am looking at for the $200/night is the AAA Hot Deal rate. It is not an advanced booking.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:22 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
You may want to check out this thread:

Which Hyatt in Washington DC?

Originally Posted by slm9555
I have a 3 night stay for a friends wedding at the end of the month in Washington DC and will also be traveling with my dog, I have globalist status.

Due to a new business venture I am on a fairly tight budget. Given the below choice which would you pick?

HH the Wharf $135/night and $75 pet fee

PH DC $200/night and $150 pet fee. I was never really considering the PH but the rate has gradually dropped from $380 to $200 and now is not that far off from the HH.

Do you think the PH is worth the extra cash or save the money and stay at the newer HH? Thanks for your input!

the grand Hyatt at $136 would have been my choice but they do not allow dogs...
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Questions about "worth it" are purely subjective and depend on OP's financial circumstances. He says he's on a budget. Thus, it's an extra $65 per night out of pocket for what may be a better property. Bear in mind that the sales tax on hotel rooms is now 14.95% so that increases the difference as well.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by tearex
Property credit at this PH may not make sense in OP's case if they are watching budget. Could cover a solo dinner or two days parking, but may not make sense if OP wasn't already planning to make those charges. Why pay for "credit" if hard cash is what they want to keep in pocket.
I'm guessing the property would apply the $100 credit toward the pet fee, and if so it's as good as cash in this case.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I just stayed a week at the Wharf and was highly impressed. Brand new property, very functional rooms, excellent breakfast by HH standards. Fantastic location with tons going on in the area and an 8-minute walk to the metro.

I’ve stayed at the PHDC too, and it’s certainly very nice, but it’s a bit less conveniently located. Unless you’re planning on availing yourself of meals at Blue Duck and the DuPont Circle area, I might save the $$.

Last edited by dpb132; Nov 17, 2018 at 11:15 am
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If you're on a budget, check the Priceline Express Deals for your dates. There may even be a Hyatt listed there. (It's pretty easy to deduce the identities of the hotels.) You can save a ton of money.

But if you're intent on earning points while paying additional $$$, the Park Hyatt would be hard to beat. I stayed once many years ago as an employee. Still one of the two nicest hotels I ever stayed in.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: HH: Diamond, WofH: Globalist, UA: 1k, Longterm member only post when I have something new to ask/say
+1 here for the Wharf being a great new property with sleek and modern rooms. But I would say it depends whether you like eating breakfast (PH win) or being in a cool location with plenty of stuff to do (Wharf win) and where the wedding is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.