Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Globalist Concierge Advice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Would a concierge work to find availability in Maui? Want to stay 2 days in Jan, but it takes time to play the "book 10 nights cancel 8" game. Wonder if anyone has had their concierge actually search for them vs be told what days to book etc.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dionnec123
"Michelle" has been very responsive for me.
Unfortunately my Michelle (originally assigned as my Private Line Agent) left Hyatt. She was fantastic. I haven't been nearly as impressed by her replacements, but overall they've been OK.

BTW, of the USA based My Hyatt Concierges, a bunch are part time employees (who are assigned correspondingly fewer clients) and generally work from home.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
For the record, my Concierge is also a "Cathy" (real name) and she has been outstanding.

When I reach out to her, I do so with a single, clearly-defined request, so as to avoid any confusion and need for back-and-forth clarification. I also only ever contact her via email (she told me in her introductory message that email is the best method to reach her).

She (or another Concierge) has always responded within a day, and has successfully handled whatever I've requested. Once or twice she has even worked directly with a property to arrange something above and beyond the WOH rules and regs.

Also, I always follow up with a thank-you email. Like in any other professional relationship, it can only help.

YMMV but I consider the above to be a best practice for engaging my Concierge in a productive manner.
WVmike likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dionnec123
"Michelle" has been very responsive for me.
I've had a lot of good luck with Michelle as well but Quita has been a disappointment. Its pretty disappointing that the globalist concierges have almost no pull whatsoever and frequently can't fix anything for you. They are basically personalized booking reps.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Originally Posted by gengar
I was assigned Valerie, who has been great. When Valerie is on her days off, sometimes other concierges will step in and answer the e-mails even though I always use the same standard Hyatt e-mail address for my concierge.
Assuming we have the same Valerie, I've had mixed experienced with her. There were a few missed emails (where she didn't respond), and there are some times when she seems to be taking the easy way out instead of helping me research (e.g., look for different types of awards at a property over a flexible time period).
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
Originally Posted by soartoday
Assuming we have the same Valerie, I've had mixed experienced with her. There were a few missed emails (where she didn't respond), and there are some times when she seems to be taking the easy way out instead of helping me research (e.g., look for different types of awards at a property over a flexible time period).
Same.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by sdadept
I've had a lot of good luck with Michelle as well but Quita has been a disappointment. Its pretty disappointing that the globalist concierges have almost no pull whatsoever and frequently can't fix anything for you. They are basically personalized booking reps.
Yes, I gave up on Quita. She was no bueno.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my world, Quita and Cathy are on the same team. Back when I used to bother, I'd ping one and (eventually) hear back from the other.

I gave up after having a problem with a mysterious reservation cancelation. I didn't cancel it. And I couldn't get it back. I called, couldn't get Cathy or Quita, so spoke to someone else. She couldn't fix it fully and didn't believe that I hadn't canceled it (I called within 60 seconds of receiving the cancelation email). Anyway, eventually they did fix it and they never told me what really happened. But the point is, I emailed Cathy numerous times during the episode. I also left her a voicemail. I did not get a single response from her - not even after it was all over. Not even after I had the stay successfully. You'd think she'd check-in with me after seeing how mad I was. Nothing.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
I've been a Diamond/Globalist since 2016, but just got assigned a concierge at the beginning of this year per my request. I'm a ponts/miles maximizer (and cash minimizer) and couldn't imagine needing any help with anything, but figured it still would feel luxurious to have a concierge.

I've had Valerie this whole time and truly couldn't be happier. She has helped me on many, many things, and the more I utilize her, the more I realize how much she can do. This summer, she helped restructure some trips -- switching one stay using all points and one using all cash to two trips with points + cash which saved both points and money -- and often does things that I couldn't do on my own such as contact a hotel directly to see if they can open up a room that can be booked on reward or split a reservation so I get the best points/money value. She thinks outside the box, yet knows what is and isn't possible.

Valerie also does lots of little things like adding my wife onto reservations or even letting the hotel know if we're celebrating a birthday or anniversary. Everything I've ever asked has been done within hours if not minutes unless, of course, she is off at that time. In those instances, someone else often follows up, though some times without the same speed or vigor.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmandc
I've been a Diamond/Globalist since 2016, but just got assigned a concierge at the beginning of this year per my request. I'm a ponts/miles maximizer (and cash minimizer) and couldn't imagine needing any help with anything, but figured it still would feel luxurious to have a concierge.

I've had Valerie this whole time and truly couldn't be happier. She has helped me on many, many things, and the more I utilize her, the more I realize how much she can do. This summer, she helped restructure some trips -- switching one stay using all points and one using all cash to two trips with points + cash which saved both points and money -- and often does things that I couldn't do on my own such as contact a hotel directly to see if they can open up a room that can be booked on reward or split a reservation so I get the best points/money value. She thinks outside the box, yet knows what is and isn't possible.

Valerie also does lots of little things like adding my wife onto reservations or even letting the hotel know if we're celebrating a birthday or anniversary. Everything I've ever asked has been done within hours if not minutes unless, of course, she is off at that time. In those instances, someone else often follows up, though some times without the same speed or vigor.
Ugh this is what I want. So jealous of you! Could you PM me Valerie's info (email) and maybe I can request her? Please? With Sugar on top?

It seems like Cathy's the one you really don't want.... I already asked for a new one, and all I got was a lukewarm apology from, you guessed it, Cathy. I don't want drama or apologies, just someone like Valerie!
applejax likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So . . . apology, plus some action towards changing concierges? Or just the apology?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by josephstern
So . . . apology, plus some action towards changing concierges? Or just the apology?
Just an apology...
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I have (a) Valerie too and have been happy. Just two examples: For HR Lake Tahoe, she was able to combine a couple pts nights with a couple cash nights and got a TSU applied for the whole stay for a true 1 bedroom suite. For a stay upcoming at The Confidante, she was able to call and get a TSU applied for a suite for the three of us on a pts stay -- had to bypass the issue of the 2 person limit for the suite and got the hotel to agree to provide a rollaway for the kid. She calls properties and see what's possible and make things work. To me, the purpose and value of the concierge is exactly this.
cfabar1 and pkoczde like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkOK
I have (a) Valerie too and have been happy. Just two examples: For HR Lake Tahoe, she was able to combine a couple pts nights with a couple cash nights and got a TSU applied for the whole stay for a true 1 bedroom suite. For a stay upcoming at The Confidante, she was able to call and get a TSU applied for a suite for the three of us on a pts stay -- had to bypass the issue of the 2 person limit for the suite and got the hotel to agree to provide a rollaway for the kid. She calls properties and see what's possible and make things work. To me, the purpose and value of the concierge is exactly this.
Happy for you, sad for the rest of us.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:31 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I've come to the conclusion that my hyatt concierge is causing me more trouble than good. I have had 2 complaints at hotels since the time I got this concierge. For some reason, this person now handles the hotel follow up. Since this person is now a bottleneck in the process, I have found they just cause delays or no reply at all. I would love to just go back to normal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.