Globalist Concierge Advice

Old Mar 5, 19, 6:41 pm
  #106  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 88,285
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
I just applied TSUs to two upcoming stays. I did it on the phone (globalist line) and it took 5 minutes, with no hold time.

I'm not sure I understand what I'm supposed to be using the concierge for. I got assigned Michelle who is supposed to be really good, but I don't understand how adding another layer of communication between me and the hotel is supposed to make my life easier.

Re: car service... I don't get it. I often get offers from the hotel to arrange a car service. They are always ridiculously expensive (like, 3-4x a cab). And it's just a regular car -- not a limo or anything, with no service beyond what a cab provides. I'm not sure why I'd pay a few extra hundred dollars for one of these rather than just hop in a cab?
Depending on the hotel, it can be a limo. Some properties have a choice of vehicles at different price points, and it's not unusual to get an upgraded vehicle for free.

In some locations, car service is much safer or easier than taking a regular taxi at the airport, and the car service arranged by the hotel is easy and presumably safe and of reasonably high qualify.

IME I'm more likely to get early access to my room/suite and other perks when I book the hotel's car service. In some properties, the driver contacts the hotel with an updated ETA and I've had assistant managers meet me at the vehicle at the hotel's carriage entrance to welcome me and even do the check in procedure. YMMV.
applejax likes this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Mar 5, 19, 7:34 pm
  #107  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 7,886
If a limo means sitting sideways, no thanks. I get enough of that on airport shuttles.
josephstern is offline  
Old Mar 5, 19, 7:51 pm
  #108  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,553
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Depending on the hotel, it can be a limo. Some properties have a choice of vehicles at different price points, and it's not unusual to get an upgraded vehicle for free.

In some locations, car service is much safer or easier than taking a regular taxi at the airport, and the car service arranged by the hotel is easy and presumably safe and of reasonably high qualify.
True, it probably depends on the destination (there are some parts of the world where taking a taxi is a bad idea).

I just got an offer from the GH Tokyo to set up car service for me, so this topic is kind of fresh in my mind.

It's just a "Regular Sedan" (their words, not mine). 24,000 yen from HND or 48,000 yen from NRT.

From experience I know that a taxi from HND to that hotel is about 8,000 yen (which is still not cheap, but reasonable -- in line with other high-priced cities), and of course perfectly safe.

I have no doubt that the hotel gets a nice kickback for getting guests to book this (clearly overpriced) car service.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Mar 5, 19, 7:53 pm
  #109  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,553
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
If a limo means sitting sideways, no thanks. I get enough of that on airport shuttles.
I've been in my fair share of limos (comped transportation in Vegas) and I can't recall ever being in one that didn't have front-facing seats.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Mar 5, 19, 8:00 pm
  #110  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: LAS TPE HND LHR
Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Posts: 5,361
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
I just applied TSUs to two upcoming stays. I did it on the phone (globalist line) and it took 5 minutes, with no hold time.

I'm not sure I understand what I'm supposed to be using the concierge for.
Applying TSUs is one thing I use my Glob concierge for, as then I don't even have to spend 5 minutes on it.
gengar is offline  
Old Mar 5, 19, 8:14 pm
  #111  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,050
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
True, it probably depends on the destination (there are some parts of the world where taking a taxi is a bad idea).

I just got an offer from the GH Tokyo to set up car service for me, so this topic is kind of fresh in my mind.

It's just a "Regular Sedan" (their words, not mine). 24,000 yen from HND or 48,000 yen from NRT.

From experience I know that a taxi from HND to that hotel is about 8,000 yen (which is still not cheap, but reasonable -- in line with other high-priced cities), and of course perfectly safe.

I have no doubt that the hotel gets a nice kickback for getting guests to book this (clearly overpriced) car service.
I would just take the airport limousine bus to GH from Narita. 48000 yen is ridiculous and could go towards shopping or sushi.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Aventine is offline  
Old Mar 5, 19, 8:58 pm
  #112  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 88,285
Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
I would just take the airport limousine bus to GH from Narita. 48000 yen is ridiculous and could go towards shopping or sushi.
Me too, for about 3,000 yen one way, sometimes with a several day subway ticket included (look for signs when buying ticket at the airport). From HND, IIRC the limobus is more like 1,000 yen (although I remember different prices for night and day), which again is a lot less than a taxi or the hotel's car service. However, to/from HND, it's pretty reasonable to take a regular taxi if the limobus schedules aren't timed well for your flights or just to save a bit of time.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Mar 5, 19, 10:10 pm
  #113  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: LAS TPE HND LHR
Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Posts: 5,361
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
From HND, IIRC the limobus is more like 1,000 yen (although I remember different prices for night and day), which again is a lot less than a taxi or the hotel's car service. However, to/from HND, it's pretty reasonable to take a regular taxi if the limobus schedules aren't timed well for your flights or just to save a bit of time.
I believe late night limobus service on the Roppongi/Akasaka line from HND (which Andaz is on) was discontinued, so unfortunately ex-HND service doesn't begin until around 8am which makes it useless for the early morning arrivals. IIRC fare is 1130 yen.

Can consider Uber for a nicer ride at similar if not slightly lower fares than the taxi (all Uber is Black in Tokyo, so will get at least a Crown if not an Alphard type vehicle).
gengar is offline  
Old Mar 6, 19, 5:28 am
  #114  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: everywhere
Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist , Bonvoy Titanium United Silver AA Platinum, AS Gold 75K
Posts: 90
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
In some locations, car service is much safer or easier than taking a regular taxi at the airport, and the car service arranged by the hotel is easy and presumably safe and of reasonably high qualify.

IME I'm more likely to get early access to my room/suite and other perks when I book the hotel's car service. In some properties, the driver contacts the hotel with an updated ETA and I've had assistant managers meet me at the vehicle at the hotel's carriage entrance to welcome me and even do the check in procedure. YMMV.
I agree. For example in Kuala Lumpur the Taxis are sketchy and sometimes dangerous. I learned my lesson on taking taxis after my first trip there. Since then I've always arranged a hotel car even though the price is 4x that of a taxi. For all the reasons you stated above but most importantly safety.
applejax is offline  
Old Mar 10, 19, 10:32 pm
  #115  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: MSP
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Posts: 1,003
What does it take to actually get connected to a concierge anyway? I've had a bunch of things that I would have used one for - but I haven't nbeen connected to one.
mattsteg is offline  
Old Mar 11, 19, 10:19 am
  #116  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: LAS TPE HND LHR
Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Posts: 5,361
Originally Posted by mattsteg View Post
What does it take to actually get connected to a concierge anyway? I've had a bunch of things that I would have used one for - but I haven't nbeen connected to one.
It took a week or two after I hit Glob to get contacted. Some Globs apparently just fly under the radar; suggestion seems to be to e-mail WoH and ask a concierge to be an assigned. See, e.g., posts in World of Hyatt - Private Line / My Hyatt Concierge
bhrubin likes this.
gengar is offline  
Old Mar 11, 19, 10:21 am
  #117  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 7,886
Not sure if it's due to this thread, but I have to say that Cathy G has been very responsive lately.
dpb132 and applejax like this.
josephstern is offline  
Old Mar 11, 19, 11:47 pm
  #118  
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: London, UK
Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Ex Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
Posts: 10,729
I have just been told that my (very) long term Concierge moved on to a different part of Hyatt (Viv. S).
She at least told me that this had happened but didn't know who I would be allocated.
Markie is online now  
Old Mar 12, 19, 10:37 am
  #119  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Posts: 586
Originally Posted by Markie View Post
I have just been told that my (very) long term Concierge moved on to a different part of Hyatt (Viv. S).
She at least told me that this had happened but didn't know who I would be allocated.
me too . Going to miss her.
Markie likes this.
Maui4me1 is online now  
Old Mar 12, 19, 3:34 pm
  #120  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Posts: 622
Originally Posted by Maui4me1 View Post

me too . Going to miss her.
me tres - sad she was very good..
Markie likes this.
footastic is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: