Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Seriously, what is the deal with HP elevators?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB

I think it is generally recognized that HP elevators must be built and maintained by Slow Elevators Inc., but have any of you ever had to opportunity to ask or find out why that is the case?

When I asked Thursday, the desk agent just said, "Yeah, lots of people say that, but I don't know why they are slow."

It is not like my life is so crazy that the extra 2 minutes to go 7 floors greatly impacts my day, but I do not understand the rationale for it. I cannot think of any other elevators I regularly encounter that are this slow.

Safety issue? Desire to have people enjoy the HP ambiance as long as possible? Do the gerbils just get tired?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:51 pm
gpy

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
I think it is generally recognized that HP elevators must be built and maintained by Slow Elevators Inc., but have any of you ever had to opportunity to ask or find out why that is the case?

When I asked Thursday, the desk agent just said, "Yeah, lots of people say that, but I don't know why they are slow."

It is not like my life is so crazy that the extra 2 minutes to go 7 floors greatly impacts my day, but I do not understand the rationale for it. I cannot think of any other elevators I regularly encounter that are this slow.

Safety issue? Desire to have people enjoy the HP ambiance as long as possible? Do the gerbils just get tired?
I stayed at a HP in NYC and they upgraded me to the 21st floor which turned out to be terrible luck as the next day I waited 10 minutes for the elevator before finally taking the stairs with my luggage. When I finally got to the ground floor I discovered that the elevators were not only slow but completely out of service. On check out, the front desk agent just smiled and told me they just wanted to make sure we were all safe so they were doing elevator maintenance. On both elevators. At prime check out time.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:51 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Most full-service hotels have separate elevators for housekeeping staff. But at hotels where staff uses the same elevators as guests, I think it causes the elevators to be very slow. Just the other day, on the 5th floor of a 5-story hotel, I waited 8 minutes for an elevator and none appeared. I decided to take the stairs ... and have a look at each floor (to find out why the elevators would not work). As it ends up, both elevators were in use, with objects blocking the doors (so they would not close), and housekeepers making several trips to a supply closet to load things into their cart. So they wheel the cart into the elevator, position the cart so that the door won't close (thus taking the elevator out of service), then make several more trips to the supply closet for other items. While this may not be the case at ALL hotels, it was certainly the reason why both elevators were tied up the other day at a smaller hotel.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Most full-service hotels have separate elevators for housekeeping staff. But at hotels where staff uses the same elevators as guests, I think it causes the elevators to be very slow.
The elevators in most Hyatt Place properties are not just slow because of housekeeping using them or because there aren’t enough for the number of guests/floors. They are moving at slooooooow motion at 3am when everyone else is asleep.

i always figured that faster elevators require better hardware and more maintenance. And HP’s design spec must ask for the cheapest (= slowest) elevators available on the planet.

They are a reason why I don’t want high floors at HPs.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:12 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

This thread had me bust out laughing but this is about more than anything else keeping new build limited service properties more cost effective with construction
And gerbils like the slow ride.Not so much the guests
Elevators are very expensive to purchase and maintain
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:12 pm

There are two major types of elevators: piston/hydraulic fluid and the cable/counterweight variety. Piston elevators push you up from the bottom, whereas cable elevators pull you up from the roof. Each major type has several sub types but those are the two major types. Buildings with fewer than 5-6 stories are almost always piston driven (cheaper) and these elevators are SLOW/jerky/etc. Piston elevators are MUCH slower, but this doesn't tend to matter as much when you are only going up or down a few stories. Every HP I've ever stayed at had piston elevators and no obvious staff/cleaning elevators. The combination = slow.
Travlur likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
They are a reason why I don’t want high floors at HPs.
I chuckle each time I see "King Bed, High Floor", because a high floor at a HP is more punishment than upgrade.
Dianne47 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:10 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I chuckle each time I see "King Bed, High Floor", because a high floor at a HP is more punishment than upgrade.
Very true! A blessing or a curse
I'll take the slow elevator just give me a breakfast I can actually eat like the full service properties
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:27 pm

Re:higher floors

Maybe it’s just my paranoia being an insurance agent, but I ALWAYS ask for the lower floors.... if there is an emergency I want to make sure that the ladders can reach me.
Dianne47 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
Gads! I didn't need to read this today... am staying at a Hyatt Place later this week in DTC. As a woman, I always request high floor for safety reasons, though different from fcs659. Guess I will pack my patience as well as my sweaters for Denver!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K, AA Gld / 1MM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
... this is about more than anything else keeping new build limited service properties more cost effective with construction
I've noticed this trend at HP and also it is standard practice at Aloft hotels which are in the same vein. I've no doubt that slow elevators are cheaper to build and probably to maintain as well, I think this is the explanation.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I sometimes stay at the HP Midtown South in NYC. I always ask for the lower floor, usually #3 . I can head out by the stairs in the morning when the elevators never seem to arrive. I also ask for lower floors for fire safety reasons, as pointed out above by fcs659. Ladders on fire trucks can only reach to floor 8 in most cities.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Timely thread. I just stayed at the HP in Santa Cruz and noticed the slow elevators. And we were only on the 2nd floor
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: Amtrak GR, Alaska Air, JetBlue TrueBlu
I have stayed and two Hyatt Place properties, Eugene Oregon and Downtown Denver (which is actually a combo Hyatt Place/House) and both had pretty speedy elevators, Denver has 4 high speed elevators for 22 floors, and Eugene has 2 elevators for......3 floors.....they occupy floors 5-7. Im kinda into high speed elevators, so I notice the fast ones, and I guess I have gotten pretty lucky most hotels I have stayed at are pretty quick.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Try the stairs, great exercise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.