Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Barcelona (formerly Hotel Sofia) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Barcelona (formerly Hotel Sofia) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat since 2008. Hyatt Diamond since 2015
Supposedly globalists do not get access to lounge unless you are in the wish suites. I have two stays coming next week so shall see what happens.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by igoncrazy
Supposedly globalists do not get access to lounge unless you are in the wish suites. I have two stays coming next week so shall see what happens.
This is what I was told:

Also as per your question according our lounge, it is entirely dedicated to our Wish area. The Wish area in SOFIA is a two floor Suites hotel managed almost independently.

Being part of Hyatt in the Unbound Collection, we do not have a lounge in our Hotel.
But then of course you can actually book the "Wish area" through the Hyatt website, so you can get access to the lounge if you pay enough:

What I told them:

If the "Wish area" is separate from Hyatt, then why can I book it through the Hyatt website? Seems inconsistent. If every hotel with a lounge did this (just designate the lounge as part of "a separate hotel"), the program and its benefits wouldn't work at all.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I'm guessing being Unbound gives them the leeway to do whatever they want and break Hyatt elite rules. I'm always curious with hotel-in-a-hotel concepts and am pretty curious about this Lounge.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Forgot the room pics:

Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Use offer code SOOPEN for 3,000 bonus points when booking before 9 June and staying before 13 June.

FWIW that offer code also pulls up some lower government and senior citizen rates that don't normally pop up on a direct search.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Football Fan
Forgot the room pics:

Very lovely and tasteful rooms. I love the look of them!
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:25 pm

This kind of bs will ensure that I never stay here. I will not contribute to any hotel that helps to dilute and ignore fundamental benefits. "Almost" independently....oh brother. Screw that hotel.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:07 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by creativeguess1
Booked 2 nights in May. Used a TSU for the GREAT WISH SUITE.
Originally Posted by Football Fan
I got what they called a suite and I would call it a junior suite.
Looking at hyatt.com, a "sphere suite" sells for such a small amount over the standard room that it would seem to be a waste of a Globalist Suite Upgrade Award. The "wish suites" are the complete opposite: they are several hundred euros more and I guess they come with lounge access even when using an upgrade award?

I am not sure if I am misinterpreting the quotes above, but it seems the experience of the two posters seem different in terms of what room type the suite upgrade is. Actually it might dictate whether I use an upgrade there or not.

Last edited by escape4; Apr 2, 2019 at 8:12 pm
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by creativeguess1
Booked 2 nights in May. Used a TSU for the GREAT WISH SUITE.
How did you confirm into Great Wish? I was told that TSU only confirms to First Wish (junior suite).
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: Globallist
Originally Posted by TerryK
How did you confirm into Great Wish? I was told that TSU only confirms to First Wish (junior suite).
Not sure. I called the glob line and was given that as the TSU. Will wind up not staying, moved all by stays to Hilton on our Europe trip. Will make sure I get Globalist, one more time, and be done with it March 2021. The GREAT WISH was a surprise and the cost at the time was about 900-1000 a night US. It was Jan, so maybe they didn't know what they were doing yet.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:33 pm

I asked for my folios from my last two stays (downloading them online only gives an incorrect version with a zero balance). No response at all after several days. First stay finally posted after almost a month, and nagging via various channels.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:07 am

Completed our stay at Sofia.

Used cash and points to upgrade to premium suite - Best Wish Suite.

In my opinion, Best Wish Suite was superb. Very modern and trendy looking. I would guess the size is about 1,000 sq. ft. It is 3 large rooms with open concept: bathroom, bedroom, another large section with a sofa/tv and then a dinner table with minibar. An amazing room.

The Wish suites (18 in all) have a dedicated butler that attends to the 18 rooms. The lounge is excellent, but it's different from a Hyatt Regency lounge. Only people staying in Wish suites have access to it. Desserts are available all day and evening and it is refilled. Our favorites were the chocolate cakes and macaroons. The lounge is different as we didn't see appetizers. Mostly desserts which were tasty and high quality. Many different types of alcohol is available. They have shelves full of wines, liquors, champagne, etc. However, they do charge for alcohol.

Breakfast for globalist is given at the restaurant. It's a buffet and I believe you can also order from menu too, but we didn't exercise that option.

The spa area is impressive - it's a gorgeous. However, keep in mind you must be at least 16 years old to enter (law). Wish suites have free access. I think others have to pay to enter.

The Wish team. The service they provide is impeccable. Always professional and knowledgeable. The service was amazingly quick and they will try their hardest to get what you want. Anything we requested was delivered quick. Even some of the more complicated items we requested they were able to do. Also, I found out Barcelona was playing Madrid and I asked if they could secure a ticket just before the game started and they were able to.

A few days before check in, I requested for a minion themed birthday cake for our son and they delivered. They had an awesome minion cake and filled one room with minion colored balloons and even wrapped a minion birthday present. It was amazing. Then later, they provided a framed picture of the birthday surprise (they took photos with our permission). It was awesome.

The area is nice. It's right by the FC Barcelona stadium. Food options are excellent. It is not in the typical tourist area. Taxi cost 15 euro to Sagrada. There is a metro stop about 5 minute walk - Maria on green line. I think it took about 15 minutes to get from hotel to Sagrada by metro.

Will return to Sofia and will aim for Wish suites if available.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
The Wish suites (18 in all) have a dedicated butler that attends to the 18 rooms. The lounge is excellent, but it's different from a Hyatt Regency lounge. Only people staying in Wish suites have access to it. Desserts are available all day and evening and it is refilled. Our favorites were the chocolate cakes and macaroons. The lounge is different as we didn't see appetizers. Mostly desserts which were tasty and high quality.

Breakfast for globalist is given at the restaurant. It's a buffet and I believe you can also order from menu too, but we didn't exercise that option.
I tried to secure a GSU for a 7 night stay into the Wish Suites for August, but unfortunately the upgrades were not open to parties of 3 (our 6 year old daughter), just for 2 ppl. Since I won't be able to access the Wish Suites or lounge, there is still Globalist free breakfasts available or not?

I have reached out to the concierge for further clarification.

Thanks for the FYI from your stay!

Best,

LFC
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:15 pm

I went through a similar situation with 3 people in 1 room- 2 adults and 1 child under 12.

I suggest contacting hotel directly and speak/or obtain email of the Wish Team Manager. Aim for day time business hours in Spain.

I think (emphasize think) the rooms that can be booked for 2 adults and a child are king deluxe and best wish suite (premium suite - not standard suite).

After I received an email confirmation from their manager, I was comfortable with booking. I had 0 issues at check in. Check in was a breeze- they take you to floor and introduce you to Wish Team, then take you to room.

For our room, they turned a small sofa chair (not sure what it is called- it’s similar to the flat part of a sectional sofa chair you can lie on) into a bed (added bedsheets, blankets, and pillows) during turn-down service. This was perfect for our 6 year old. It would not work for an adult. However, I’m guessing you could do something similar with the full-size couch if allowed.
luvFclass likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:16 pm

Globalists do get free breakfast at restaurant.

luvFclass likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.