Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hotel Sofia Barcelona joining Unbound Collection

Hotel Sofia Barcelona joining Unbound Collection

Old Apr 9, 19, 4:40 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
The Concierge desk confirmed to me that if I use a Globalist Suite Upgrade Award it will be the First Wish suite. Apparently that room is only 30 sq meters so quite small - the basic room at several hotels is bigger than this, for example I am thinking of perhaps staying at Fairmont Barcelona and that is exactly the size of the basic room over there.

What is puzzling to me is the price difference between the standard room and the First Wish suite. Depending on dates you can get the basic room for let's say 200-300 EUR and the First Wish suite is for example 800 EUR. Globalists do not get access to the lounge so it will be quite exclusive if it's liminted to only people staying in Wish suites. If I compare to other hotels where you need to pay to get lounge access for example Ritz Carlton or Fairmont (not free access for Plats), I usually do not see that big of a price difference, and part of the extra is that you get breakfast which you would not get otherwise. Here it would not be the case: Globalists get free breakfast in the restaurant anyway, so lounge access gives you desserts (no appetizers?) and alcohol is not free. So that leaves only the value of having the butler(s) and the service provided in the lounge. Sounds from comments above that it is great service, but I am still surprised at the magnitude of the price difference if food and beverage is very limited in the lounge, and if the suite is not really a suite but more like a standard room.

If I stay at SOFIA rather than Fairmont, I would use a Globalist suite upgrade so the cash cost of the First Wish suites is not really a concern, but I am asking for feedback from others mostly out of curiosity. All I could say is that if I did not have status with Hyatt, without more information about the wish suites it is unlikely I would pay for this out of pocket at this point in time so perhaps there is something I am missing here, especially since I have never been to this hotel so my judgment might be completely off.
Old Apr 9, 19, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
The Concierge desk confirmed to me that if I use a Globalist Suite Upgrade Award it will be the First Wish suite. Apparently that room is only 30 sq meters so quite small - the basic room at several hotels is bigger than this........
This simply makes no sense. Hotel website shows Harmony Rooms (standard rooms) are 22-39 sq mt while First Wish is 40-60 sq mt. I don't know why concierge provided information which contradicts their own website. Perhaps there is a language barrier?

Not sure how creativeguess1 was confirmed to Great Wish (90 sq mt) using a TSU.
Old Apr 9, 19, 6:21 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
This simply makes no sense. Hotel website shows Harmony Rooms (standard rooms) are 22-39 sq mt while First Wish is 40-60 sq mt. I don't know why concierge provided information which contradicts their own website. Perhaps there is a language barrier?

Not sure how creativeguess1 was confirmed to Great Wish (90 sq mt) using a TSU.
I did not see room sizes on hyatt.com but now that you mention it, you are right the First Wish suites are shown to be 40-60 sq meters. Thanks for brining this up. I wonder if concierge got confused with the "sphere suite" on hyatt.com which is indeed 30 sq meters while at the same time telling me the upgrade would be for the First Wish. It makes no sense indeed.

I suspect @creativeguess1 got lucky by getting Great Wish rather than First Wish and that it's not intended to be that way.