Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Keystone Colorado REVIEW- MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Place Keystone Colorado REVIEW- MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2021, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
Hey there - can someone help me w/ suite availability and Hyatt terms? When I look at the Hyatt Place's room categories, they have a King Suite - they've categorized this as a room, not a suite. Thus, I can't use a suite upgrade, since there are no suites here.... just suites categorized as "rooms."

I'm filing a ticket with Hyatt on this, but has anyone else had luck w/ confirmed suite upgrades? Thanks!

I think HP are excluded in suite upgrades, stated in terms and conditions. Asking your concierge to change the terms will be next to impossible, regardless of their opinion

Now this does not mean HP do not have suites. I have stayed at multiple HP were I have been proactively upgraded to a suite (a wall that separates living and sleeping area), this specific property included.

Instead of wasting time pursuing a change of terms with your concierge, I would just contact the hotel and either ask nicely for the suite or just pay up $$ for the upgrade. The top floor has suites, high cathedral ceilings with large windows facing the mountains. Ask to be confirmed in that room and pay up in necessary.

Call the hotel front desk, get the emails of managers/concierges and then do everything by email. This is the oldest trick in the book, been doing it for decades, yes, decades at all hotel brands and have had very nice rooms.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 20, 2021, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
For those struggling with the distance to the lifts from the hotel with kids in tow, allow me to suggest a nice lifehack, which took me close to a decade to figure out.

My family has a condo a few doors down from the Hyatt Place. I love the area because it's nice and quiet and almost equal distance from either base lifts (Mountain House is closer, but walking to River Run in the evenings for dinner/drinks is really easy).

If you're an early riser, what I do is wake up around 7am, put on street clothes and a warm jacket, load the car with all of the heavy gear (skis/boards, poles, boots, and helmets), then drive to one of the free lots--usually the Mountain House free lot (but it seems to change from free to pay at the drop of a hat). At that time of the morning, you can get a really close-in spot. Then I walk back to the condo (hotel for you all), eat breakfast, make our sack lunch (sandwiches, baby carrots, chips, and cookies), get ready for skiing, and then get the kids ready for skiing. Then we can all walk over to the car in our street shoes, get to the car, put on boots and helmets, then it's a short walk to the lifts with skis/boards/poles. At the end of the day, when you have tired kids, they can simply wait at the skier drop-off/pick-up spots slope-side with your SO while you fetch the car nearby, load everyone/everything, and drive back to the condo.

As for local recommendations, I highly recommend Sauce on the Blue (Italian food) in Silverthorne and The Lost Cajun in Frisco (for some odd reason, the one in Breckenridge is not as good). Also, the tour at Breckenridge Distillery is great (their gin and vodka are top-notch and a great value).
GUWonder and River in Sight like this.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Sep 20, 2021 at 12:49 pm
Old Sep 21, 2021, 6:03 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
... around 7am ... load the car with ... boots, and helmets), then drive to one of the free lots ... walk back to the condo ... eat breakfast, make our sack lunch ... walk over to the car in our street shoes, get to the car, put on boots and helmets...
When and where do you all put on your ski clothing?

Caution: COLD ski boots results in COLD feet. Circa 1977, upstate NY road trip for a few hours of night skiing an hour away from college. 4 of us, ski boots in the trunk. Arrive at ski area, put boots on in the car, boots were ice cold we didn’t think anything of it, thought they would warm up quickly. NOT. None of us lasted more than an hour of skiing due to ice cold feet.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
When and where do you all put on your ski clothing?

Caution: COLD ski boots results in COLD feet. Circa 1977, upstate NY road trip for a few hours of night skiing an hour away from college. 4 of us, ski boots in the trunk. Arrive at ski area, put boots on in the car, boots were ice cold we didn’t think anything of it, thought they would warm up quickly. NOT. None of us lasted more than an hour of skiing due to ice cold feet.
After dropping off the car and walking back to the condo/hotel. I'm a guy, so I can get my ski clothing on in five minutes.

When my kids were young, they were SLOW getting ready, so we wouldn't be actually skiing until sometimes 3 hours after I left the car in the parking lot. On really cold days, the boots were sometimes chilly but not cold. And, yes, never leave your boots in the car or in a non-room temperature area.

Edited to add: our car is parked outside, and we've never had issues with cold boots so long as the boots were at least room temperature when they go into the car.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Sep 21, 2021 at 3:45 pm
Old Sep 22, 2021, 2:04 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
… And, yes, never leave your boots in the car or in a non-room temperature area ...
Agreed, that’s the take-home point!

I'm a guy (also), of a certain age whose been skiing for almost 60 years, so I can get my ski clothing on in about forty-five minutes ... and another twenty to buckle my boots!

Good on you for introducing and teaching your kids to ski, a challenging task which should be quite rewarding. I still recall skiing with my parents and siblings in the 60’s. In mostly rubber ski boots, please believe me, rubber is a VERY poor heat insulator. I’m amazed that none of us ever lost toes to frostbite.

pseudoswede likes this.

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Nov 18, 2021 at 11:39 am
Old Dec 28, 2021, 11:16 am

I stayed at the Hyatt Place Keystone for 5 nights last week. Hyatt Globalist with ~ 70 actual nights this year, 80% in various Hyatt Places (FL, NJ, FL, CA, UT). Traveling solo this trip. Assistant Manager mentioned they had 40 Globalists registered.

Hotel is clean, lots of staff, universally gracious. Lots of towels in the room upon arrival, didn’t have to ask for extras as I often do. 12 minute walk in ski boots, half that in shoes, to one of the base area ski lifts. Town bus stop right in front of hotel. Bar with dining menu next door, pizza shop next door, liquor/convenience store and Mexican restaurant and Subway across the street. I did not have a car.

Lots of (poorly supervised) small children, many more than previous trips to other lodging facilities, perhaps due to time of year (school vacation). Significant as they ran around the breakfast area and fitness center like … children.

It’s not a purpose built HP, it converted from the Inn at Keystone in 2017. Rooms are small with only a closet with 2 small drawers, no other clothing storage, I lived mostly out of my suitcase which I put on the other bed. Large in room safe, mini-fridge, small coffee maker.

I usually like a high floor, being my first trip to this hotel and first ski trip in 21 months (COVID) I forgot that’s a mistake at a ski hotel. In the morning and afternoon, when people are going to and from the slopes, the (slow) elevators stop at almost every floor. I don’t think the hotel has staff elevators so the elevators are also quite busy with staff. At this hotel I recommend a room on a low floor.

Breakfast was “grab and go”, many ate in the lobby level dining area. Microwaved Jimmy Dean sandwiches, coffee and tea station, apple and orange juices, bowl of apples, bowl of small oranges, warmed bagels and/or croissants in baggies, yogurt, dry cereal.

Fitness center is poorly equipped; 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, 1 recumbent bicycle, free weights. Fortunately, since this hotel and the Keystone Lodge and Spa are both owned by Vail Resorts, guests of this hotel can use the well-equipped fitness center at the Keystone Lodge and Spa. I walked (~1 mile, 25 minutes) the in the dark the first time; big mistake, no sidewalk, cars buzzing close by at high speed on snowy streets, good exercise (at 9,100’) but very dangerous. Found out afterwards there’s a parallel route through parking lots. Managed to talk the Lodge folks into giving me a ride back in their courtesy vehicle. Second time took free town bus both ways (5 minute wait and 15 minute ride going, 30 minute wait for delayed bus and 5 minute ride back), bus stops operating at 6pm.

Heat in the rooms is shaky. When I checked in the staff was talking about space heaters. I had problems in my room during my last night, was just blowing room temperature air. The heating unit has printed instructions for what to do if the radiator coils freeze (run the fan for an hour with the heat turned off, then turn the heat back on), that didn't work. I called at 6:30 AM, was told maintenance would be in at 8:00 o'clock, no one ever came to the room. At 10:30, as I was bringing my luggage down to check out, a maintenance guy got into the elevator with a space heater and he said no one had told him about my room.

I’ve been skiing for almost 60 years, 3-5 trips per year for the past 25 years. I understand the seasonal employee situation. The (seasonal) staff at this hotel has a much poorer command of English than I’ve previously experienced. Simple requests like extra hangars or (while extending a paper coffee cup at breakfast) “a cup of ice” usually took a minute or two to explain.

Overall 3 stars out of 5. I paid a terrific Healthcare Worker rate, I would have been much more annoyed had I been paying the rack rate.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 7:19 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Just returned from a trip earlier this week as an Explorist using points and Cat 4 certs.

Room wasn't ready until 4p and no call/text that was promised when room was ready. No vouchers of any kind given at check-in. Heard two different guests complaining of cold rooms (one said it was 45 degrees in their room - yikes!) but ours was fine. Parking reminded me of living in a city where when you find a good spot you don't want to give it up - trying to find a spot after 7p...good luck! Dr J mentioned a language barrier with the staff and I experienced the same. I tried requesting extra regular coffee for the in-room coffee makers and that was a process which nobody was able to fulfill. No problems finding seating for breakfast around 7:45a before we headed to the lifts though the variety was pitiful compared to most HP where they have eggs, bacon, hash, oatmeal, etc. The microwaved Jimmy Dean biscuits were a poor substitute.

The walk to Peru Express lift at Mountain House isn't too bad but if you're in poor shape, or have kids in tow, I can see it being a challenge. After a full day of skiing, I gotta admit the trek back to the hotel in the boots was not enjoyable and I'm in pretty solid shape!

Coffee isn't available in the lobby until around 6a but there's a little coffee shop (Keystoner Express) near the GOAT pub next to the HP. Owner was there every morning to open at 5AM and the quality of the coffee was excellent. "Dos", the Mexican spot across the street, was very good though it's definitely a different style than we're used to. I didn't care for the salsa or the guac but that's just a matter of personal taste and in no way an implication of the quality. The Pizza spot AND the Goat pub were BOTH out of food. The pizza spot was closed all week and only drinks were available at the Goat.

I'd concur with a 3 out of 5 rating. Decent value with a free cert or points but no chance I'd pay rack rate here. Doubt we will return.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 10:47 am

Stayed again last week for 5 nights, decreasing my overall rating to 2 stars. Fortunately the Healthcare Friends and Family rate was even lower than my prior stay. (I love to ski, was solo, like to be walking distance or short bus ride to lifts, dislike exorbitant hotel rates.)

Hotel is still clean, lots of (non front desk) staff, communication skills improved since 6 weeks ago. Staff is very gracious, twice at breakfast a staff member found me something (one yogurt, one banana) that was otherwise out of stock.

No room heat problems this time, no children running around. Layout/furnishings mirror image identical to previous (small) room, minimal places to put clothing, lived out of my suitcase (on the second bed) again, hard for me to imagine more than one person staying in the room.

Called a couple of days prior, asked for a low floor. Elevators still very slow and crowded with staff which is confusing because the kitchen is on the same level as the "grab and go" breakfast area and (as I was told at check-in) there’s no daily housekeeping, not sure what all those staff members actually do. There's minimal front desk staff, I waited 12 minutes for a hard copy folio at checkout even though there were only 2 people ahead of me. The one agent was also answering the phone and cashiering snack purchases, I asked and he said there was only 1 agent assigned at that time (11:30am).

Breakfast still grab and go: Microwaved Jimmy Dean sandwiches, microwaved breakfast burritos, warmed bagels and croissants in baggies, whole apples, oranges, bananas, individual yogurt, individual dry cereal, individual oatmeal, apple and orange juices, coffee and tea station. Main reason for decreased rating is that the hotel was out of Jimmy Deans 2 of 5 days, out of yogurt 2 of 5 days, no bananas 3 of 5 days, no apples 4 of 5 days and (unbelievably when dry cereal is one of the main staples) out of individual milk containers 2 of 5 days (they put out quart sized almond milk containers).

Only improvement from prior stay was availability of coffee, tea, hot water and hot cocoa mix 24/7 vice breakfast hours only.

Free resort area bus was every 40 minutes instead of every 20 minutes.

Walk (which is a bit long but I consider it to be good exercise) to lift not cleared of snow and ice, much more treacherous than previous stay. I checked my skis each evening and walked (in ski boots) with just my poles.

This hotel should stop using COVID as an excuse for the (even more than usual) appalling breakfast. Their (breakfast) inventory control should be improved. They should add a dual cable machine (capable of 20 different exercises) to the fitness center. They should renovate all rooms to add a dresser, decrease the size of the sofa (it's not a sleep sofa) and eliminate the (wasted space) TV stand; put the TV on the wall or the dresser (like almost every other hotel in the known universe).

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Feb 7, 2022 at 11:18 am
Old Feb 9, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: LH HON
Currently here after three days at PH Beaver Creek and GH Vail each. Gotta admit, after reading everything in this thread I had second doubts. More than happy to report that - at least for me - this is definitely the best bang for the buck. Why? Because I don't value ski in ski out (vs a five minute walk) and breakfast over 15k points or 700 USD cash rate difference. A Hyatt Place will always be a Hyatt Place - so set your expectations.

Breakfast is basically the same as above, but they did not run out of any items. Got upgraded into a Suite on a four night stay as a Globalist. The walk to Peru Lift is like five minutes and frankly, as someone growing up riding in Europe I had to chuckle a bit reading others considering this a long walk. I'm here on a solo trip and skiing is a sport, not a vacation (for me that is). So this place ticks all the boxes for 15k points a night. Did not have any elevator issues despite the place being full, but I'm also the first to leave and the last to come back this place.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by ckx2
Currently here after three days at PH Beaver Creek and GH Vail each. Gotta admit, after reading everything in this thread I had second doubts. More than happy to report that - at least for me - this is definitely the best bang for the buck. Why? Because I don't value ski in ski out (vs a five minute walk) and breakfast over 15k points or 700 USD cash rate difference. A Hyatt Place will always be a Hyatt Place - so set your expectations.

Breakfast is basically the same as above, but they did not run out of any items. Got upgraded into a Suite on a four night stay as a Globalist. The walk to Peru Lift is like five minutes and frankly, as someone growing up riding in Europe I had to chuckle a bit reading others considering this a long walk. I'm here on a solo trip and skiing is a sport, not a vacation (for me that is). So this place ticks all the boxes for 15k points a night. Did not have any elevator issues despite the place being full, but I'm also the first to leave and the last to come back this place.
Agreed, this is not the Park Hyatt or Grand Hyatt experience but this hotel is great for what it is.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Can anyone confirm if the resort fee is waived for Globalists on cash stays? I know the terms state that it should be waived, but I'm not sure if this is one of the properties that tries to play games. Thanks!

(h) Waived Resort, Destination, or Facility Fees: Resort, destination, or facility fees, where charged by the applicable hotel or resort, will be waived for Globalists when paying an Eligible Rate. (As described in Appendix B, resort, destination, or facility fees are waived for all Members when staying on a Free Night Award.) This benefit is not valid at Vacation Ownership Properties. In some instances, a hotel or resort may charge other fees (such as a “service fee”) that are independent of any resort, destination, or facility fee charged by that hotel or resort. Any such fees will not be waived for Globalists pursuant to this benefit.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by BryanIAH
Can anyone confirm if the resort fee is waived for Globalists on cash stays? …
I did not pay a resort fee for either of my two stays this ski season (described above). The resort fees were listed on the rate details of the reservations on my Hyatt account. They were gone, without discussion, when I checked out. I have no issues in that specific regard with this hotel.
BryanIAH likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Return stay using my SO's Discoverist Chase free night certificate. We love summer stays to hike. Assigned a standard street facing room on 2nd floor, no view (Last visit as a globalist received a suite on top floor mountain view). This hotel is a standard HP, free basic breakfast. Waived resort fee that includes parking fee. We really enjoyed the hottub on 6th floor. Great location, basic property, great staff. Was able to get 2pm late checkout, 2 waters and was also thanked for loyalty and status.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Currently here after three days at PH Beaver Creek and GH Vail each. Gotta admit, after reading everything in this thread I had second doubts. More than happy to report that - at least for me - this is definitely the best bang for the buck.
Looking at visiting this area in February - will have my wife (who doesn’t ski) and my 7 year old (beginning skier; second season) with me. I’m planning a 3-4 night stay, will take my son skiing 2-3 days and then probably one day off to do some non-skiing activities to include my wife. I have never skied in Colorado before so my plan was to do a couple of nights here, and a couple at Vail. I am an intermediate skier but will be with my beginner son the entire time, so not too worried about anything beyond the basics.

The price difference is SO drastic between here and Vail - for our dates, this property is $176/nt (which seems incredibly low) vs. $1,323/nt at GH Vail. The price difference is so drastic… accepting that I will get a basic room here, and an inferior breakfast, am I missing something else here? Seems I should just do the entire time here and not bother packing up to head to Vail, just curious if I am missing anything.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 4:28 pm

This hotel, particularly during the past year, is a terrific example of YMMV and “different strokes for different folks”.

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
(August 2022) … free basic breakfast. ...
(December 2021) … Breakfast was “grab and go”, many ate in the lobby level dining area. Microwaved Jimmy Dean sandwiches, coffee and tea station, apple and orange juices, bowl of apples, bowl of small oranges, warmed bagels and/or croissants in baggies, yogurt, dry cereal…
Originally Posted by hockeystl
(January 2022) …breakfast around 7:45a … variety was pitiful compared to most HP where they have eggs, bacon, hash, oatmeal, etc. The microwaved Jimmy Dean biscuits were a poor substitute….
(February 2022) … Breakfast still grab and go: Microwaved Jimmy Dean sandwiches, microwaved breakfast burritos, warmed bagels and croissants in baggies, whole apples, oranges, bananas, individual yogurt, individual dry cereal, individual oatmeal, apple and orange juices, coffee and tea station. Main reason for decreased rating is that the hotel was out of Jimmy Deans 2 of 5 days, out of yogurt 2 of 5 days, no bananas 3 of 5 days, no apples 4 of 5 days and (unbelievably when dry cereal is one of the main staples) out of individual milk containers 2 of 5 days (they put out quart sized almond milk containers)...
(February 2022) … Breakfast is basically the same as above, but they did not run out of any items. ...
ORD-TGU: Was breakfast the same as last winter’s “grab and go” or was it a more traditional HP breakfast? By any chance did you visit the fitness center and if so, any new equipment? Thank you.

BREAK

Originally Posted by River in Sight
(November 2022) Looking at visiting this area in February - will have my wife (who doesn’t ski) and my 7 year old (beginning skier; second season) with me. I’m planning a 3-4 night stay, will take my son skiing 2-3 days and then probably one day off to do some non-skiing activities to include my wife. I have never skied in Colorado before so my plan was to do a couple of nights here, and a couple at Vail. I am an intermediate skier but will be with my beginner son the entire time, so not too worried about anything beyond the basics.

The price difference is SO drastic between here and Vail - for our dates, this property is $176/nt (which seems incredibly low) vs. $1,323/nt at GH Vail. The price difference is so drastic… accepting that I will get a basic room here, and an inferior breakfast, am I missing something else here? Seems I should just do the entire time here and not bother packing up to head to Vail, just curious if I am missing anything.
My experiences include 10 trips to Vail over the past 30 years including 2 trips each to GH Vail and HP Keystone last ski season and about 100 total ski trips to various destination resorts “out west” (from NY or VA) over the past 30 years. Skier for almost 60 years, used to kinda like steep and bumps, now ski one black run a day just to say I did it, (love to) ski blue cruisers all day long, much easier on my knees.

Agree, at $176 vs $1323 it’s a no brainer. Award stay differences are less dramatic, 15,000-18,000 vs 25,000-30,000 points, little more difficult decision. While Vail is listed 5,317 skiable acres and 3,450 vertical feet and Keystone is listed at 3,148 acres and 3,128 feet, Vail seems MUCH larger, like 3-4 times bigger. Not sure why, maybe due to % of green and blue terrain, maybe due to layout, whatever, I feel like I have MANY more skiing choices at Vail. I can ski Vail for 2-3 days and rarely ski the same trail, at Keystone I feel like I ski the same trails every day. Might just be me, YMMV.

Vail has a significantly sized village at the base of the mountain, Keystone’s is much smaller. Many more (dinner) dining options and mountain lunch options at Vail. Not sure about Keystone, but on weekends and holiday weeks Vail is a zoo, very crowded. Minimal grocery store options in Keystone, Vail has a supermarket or 2.

If you (and your family) are “wake-up, breakfast, ski all day, hot tub or nap, dinner, sleep, repeat, repeat, repeat” kinda people, HP Keystone works quiet well. If you cherish fine (dinner) dining and nightlife Vail might be better suited. Comments of the 2 authors quoted below might also be relevant.

No bad choices, it’s all good (as long as there’s snow)!

(February 2022) Currently here after three days at PH Beaver Creek and GH Vail each. Gotta admit, after reading everything in this thread I had second doubts. More than happy to report that - at least for me - this is definitely the best bang for the buck. Why? Because I don't value ski in ski out (vs a five minute walk) and breakfast over 15k points or 700 USD cash rate difference. A Hyatt Place will always be a Hyatt Place - so set your expectations.

Originally Posted by Tonyr4
(February 2022) Agreed, this is not the Park Hyatt or Grand Hyatt experience but this hotel is great for what it is.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.