Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Suite definition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I have several upcoming reservations where I've paid to upgrade to a premium suite or have a standard suite at the cash + 6,000 pts/night rate.
I called to try and change these reservations to premium suites at 9,000 pts/night.
No luck at the following properties:
Andaz Maui
Hyatt Aruba
Hyatt Baha Mar

Concierge told me there is a separate 'marketplace' for these suites and participation is decided at the property level.
Additionally, only the suite one level above the standard suite is eligible for the 'premium' award.
YMMV
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Peatisback
Concierge told me there is a separate 'marketplace' for these suites and participation is decided at the property level.
That's a violation of the TOS. You should escalate.

Additionally, only the suite one level above the standard suite is eligible for the 'premium' award.
YMMV
That's right from the description on the web page; no surprise there.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Oh, it gets better! Here is the newly revised response from "Japan Reservations":

The Grand Executive King is Grand Hyatt Tokyo standard suite upgrade. So apparently, hotels are free to make the premium suite selection exactly the same as the standard suites!!
Frankly I would love that. I have few times I expect to want or be able to use points for the premium suite so if they add a whole higher class of suites to the list I can use DSU on, I would consider it a huge win.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by antonius66
Frankly I would love that. I have few times I expect to want or be able to use points for the premium suite so if they add a whole higher class of suites to the list I can use DSU on, I would consider it a huge win.
Not sure you understand.

In the past, both Grand Executive King and Grand Executive Twin were available for standard suite upgrades.

Then they eliminated the Twin. Only the Grand Executive King could be used for standard suite upgrade.

Now they are saying that the Grand Executive King is both a standard suite upgrade and a premium suite upgrade. No other suites apply for either.

How does one leverage this as a huge win?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Not sure you understand.

In the past, both Grand Executive King and Grand Executive Twin were available for standard suite upgrades.

Then they eliminated the Twin. Only the Grand Executive King could be used for standard suite upgrade.

Now they are saying that the Grand Executive King is both a standard suite upgrade and a premium suite upgrade. No other suites apply for either.

Seems more like anything but a huge win for customers and yet another PR opportunity for Hyatt to over-promise to its customers while letting its hotels under-deliver to customers in a way.

Hyatt’s most important customers are the hotels and not the hotel room guests. And it shows up in this way too with WOH.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:26 pm

Not sure you understand.

Ah yes I misunderstood. I thought you meant they ADDED the next tier suite as a regular option for dsu and said both types were premium or regular.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:30 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Peatisback
I have several upcoming reservations where I've paid to upgrade to a premium suite or have a standard suite at the cash + 6,000 pts/night rate.
I called to try and change these reservations to premium suites at 9,000 pts/night.
No luck at the following properties:
Andaz Maui
Hyatt Aruba
Hyatt Baha Mar

YMMV
Can't speak to Hyatt Aruba or Baha Mar, but my understanding of Andaz Maui is that they've been stingy in award redemptions since they opened.

Not sure you understand.

Interesting. Both Grand Suite and Grand Executive King are listed as "standard". Grand Executive Twin listed as premium. Diplomat also listed as Premium.

Not sure this is the best base-line for judging the whole program though. The difference in them all seems negligible, both in size, amenity, and price.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joecool1885
Interesting. Both Grand Suite and Grand Executive King are listed as "standard". Grand Executive Twin listed as premium. Diplomat also listed as Premium.
I think that there's some confusion here. It's Hyatt's own fault; they've used the same term to mean two different things.

As I'm sure we all know, globalists get free suite upgrades.. but only to "standard" suites. You could also confirm uprates to standard suites with points or upgrade instruments. So, most hotels write, in their suite descriptions "this is a standard suite" or "this is a premium suite". Premium just means "not standard" here. In other words, "not eligible for upgrade". A 3 bedroom diplomatic / presidential suite will say "this is a premium suite", because you can't upgrade to it using pts /certificates / globalist benefit.

And now Hyatt had introduced "9k pts to upgrade to a premium suite". But not using the same definition of "premium" as above. "Premium" here means "1 level above standard". So you can't get that presidential or diplomatic suite. It says so right on the website.

Now, if there are reports of people getting diplomatic suites for 9k pts per night... that just shows that the confusion is not limited to the customers. The hotels and people in the call centers are confused as well. So, book 'em while you can, because eventually they will be properly trained and this will stop happening.
damon88 likes this.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Nov 5, 2018 at 9:42 pm
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
It looks like The Driskill Hotel in Austin is excluded (either officially or unofficially) from this. I tried every date imaginable, including many dates where every single room type was bookable under the standard rates, and premium suites were never available as an upgrade or on full points. This was one property where I was hopeful this might be useful since the current standard "suite" is a joke.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21
It looks like The Driskill Hotel in Austin is excluded (either officially or unofficially) from this. I tried every date imaginable, including many dates where every single room type was bookable under the standard rates, and premium suites were never available as an upgrade or on full points. This was one property where I was hopeful this might be useful since the current standard "suite" is a joke.
Did you remember that you need to call? The way your message is worded it sounds like you may have tried the website.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by Zelucifer
Did you remember that you need to call? The way your message is worded it sounds like you may have tried the website.
Yes, I called to try to book. I keep thinking online booking capability has to be included in a website upgrade at some point, but after so many years who knows if that will ever come.

Sorry, I should have clarified that I was just using the website as a proxy to try to find dates where all the room types were showing available for cash.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21
Yes, I called to try to book. I keep thinking online booking capability has to be included in a website upgrade at some point, but after so many years who knows if that will ever come.

Sorry, I should have clarified that I was just using the website as a proxy to try to find dates where all the room types were showing available for cash.
Not a problem, just wanted to make sure you knew. I've been using the twitter concierge for this, and it seems like they aren't as well educated on this matter as they usually are either. I wonder if this was a half baked idea that they rolled out ASAP for some unknown reason.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:42 am

Premium suite upgrade at GH Shanghai

Just adding a data point
Was able to upgrade to a diplomat suite at the GH Shanghai for 9000 points, paid standard rate of 1200CNY.
Standard suite was also available for 6000 points
Booked online via Facebook messenger.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dcw74
Just adding a data point
Was able to upgrade to a diplomat suite at the GH Shanghai for 9000 points, paid standard rate of 1200CNY.
Standard suite was also available for 6000 points
Booked online via Facebook messenger.
You will definitely like that suite! It's very nice!
dcw74 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by joecool1885
My experience in the last two days has been supreme. Timing of this couldn't be better as we are going to Tokyo and Seoul early next year. Confirmed 2 nights each at PH Tokyo and PH Seoul in diplomatic suites. Standard room/standard rate +9K points a night.
Can't imagine that will last. $3,000+ price difference between the suite and the base room in Tokyo and $4000 in Seoul.
Of note but possibly unrelated I noticed Presidential/Luxury Suites at GH and HR San Francisco Embarcadero were previously bookable online but seem to have disappeared.
Did you book these purely with points?

Has anyone booked a premium suite purely with points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.