Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Suite definition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Park Executive jet-lag premium suite: non-suite room with a bed and a three-person sofa with a dark “courtyard” view of HVAC system and boring brick walls.

Hyatt will have hotels playing games like this with suite classification and re-definition and they will probably let most such shenanigans take place and remain in place in practice.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 31, 2018 at 6:28 am
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:13 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by sensei
I appreciate and respect that there is a lack of trust for some due to the changes associated with the WoH. ... However, at a minimum there will be new options available to secure a suite at booking where that is currently not possible because all standard suites are sold out.
The big issue is that many properties - even those managed by Hyatt - currently designate junior suites as the "standard suite" (and in some cases, "junior suite" might even be generous).

As a result of these changes, I fully expect more and more properties to downgrade the "standard suite" to a junior suite level and re-designate the old standard suite as a "premium suite". Ultimately, this will be a net negative for the program.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
This was specifically in reference to using points/status benefits to confirm a premium suite at booking without a cash payment. Pretty much any hotel will gladly have you pay the cash difference for a premium suite.

The SPG program doesn’t exist anymore and from what little I could find on Marriott.com and FT point suite upgrades are completely at the discretion of a property and don’t need to be offered at all. Hyatt will offer this benefit systemwide without a mimimum stay requirement, with the exception of a quite limited number of hotels who will continue to opt out.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some hotels, for example many Starwoods, allow you to confirm particular suite upgrades in advance either by paying more points for an award stay (but you must call to do this) or by paying an upgrade fee in money (usually obtained by communicating directly with the hotel). In either case, the upgrade would be confirmed in advance, usually at the time of reservation.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I spent some time this morning looking into a few properties, and I successfully booked a full points premium suite at two properties and was quoted a cash and points rate for the same premium suite (obviously a terrible deal unless you are short on points).

However, I was unable to find any property that allowed the 9,000 point upgrade to a premium suite, even on nights where the premium suite was available on full points. I was able to use 6,000 points to upgrade to a standard suite, so it wasn't the result of my rate or anything. I didn't think those awards were going to be capacity controlled, so my guess is the system just isn't all the way upgraded yet.

I also inquired about the Park Hyatt New York since someone mentioned it upthread. They did not have any premium suites available for 60,000 points, but were still offering their modified cash and points suite awards of 30K plus $400/night for the 1 Bedroom Suite and 30K plus $600/night for the City View Suite. These aren't the best deals, but I was hoping they would stay around, because both are a much better deal than using 60K points or cash and points at 30K plus half the standard rate for the premium suites. As an aside, the standard suite was available for 48K points for single nights now.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:17 am
Suspended

What’s an online searchable example — hotel and date specific — of Hyatt premium suites that are available using points only that came available with the WOH program change scheduled for today?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:23 am

I successfully upgraded a cash booking from a basic room to a premium suite for the 9000 points upcharge today. The only minor wrinkle was that I had to give up my member rate and rebook at the standard rate. All in all, it cost me about $50 extra per night, plus the 9k points per night. But well worth it for the suite!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
What’s an online searchable example — hotel and date specific — of Hyatt premium suites that are available using points only that came available with the WOH program change scheduled for today?
Unless they didn't implement it as stated, you have to call to book premium suites.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by Zelucifer
Unless they didn't implement it as stated, you have to call to book premium suites.
Yes, I had to call and was told these will not show up online, similar to previous suite points awards. Not sure if there are plans to change that.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21
Yes, I had to call and was told these will not show up online, similar to previous suite points awards. Not sure if there are plans to change that.
I hope so, but I doubt it. Still have to call in to use club upgrade awards for some reason.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Global Mercenary
Just called PH paris and found no premium suite availability with points (either full or cash and points) for next may
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zelucifer
I hope so, but I doubt it. Still have to call in to use club upgrade awards for some reason.
Frustrating some kind of award redemptions and increasing breakage of awards/points is part of Hyatt’s profit-maximizing approach at the retail customers’ expense. Hyatt may care less about hotel guests than it cares about maximizing its profits and keeping hotel owners happy enough so as to retain them and minimize flag changes that don’t suit Hyatt.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT, *Wood PLT, HHonors Gold
Data point:

I called the Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen for reservations from Nov 30 to Dec 3 2018. I inquired about the various levels. Here were the costs quoted

King Room with Club Access: 3,000 pts plus $240 (not including taxes/fees)
Grand Suite King (includes club access): 6,000 pts plus $260 (not including taxes/fees) This is the standard suite
Plunge Pool Suite (includes club access): 9,000 pts plus $320 (not including taxes/fees) This is the premium suite

The actual cash difference between the GSK and Plunge Pool Suite is around $60 for the full cash price per night, so this is not a good deal. Thought it strange that the $ amount is higher as you move up in category, because the terms/conditions don't make that distinction. But I am far less in tune with Hyatt.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ResQTekBill
Data point:

I called the Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen for reservations from Nov 30 to Dec 3 2018. I inquired about the various levels. Here were the costs quoted

King Room with Club Access: 3,000 pts plus $240 (not including taxes/fees)
Grand Suite King (includes club access): 6,000 pts plus $260 (not including taxes/fees) This is the standard suite
Plunge Pool Suite (includes club access): 9,000 pts plus $320 (not including taxes/fees) This is the premium suite

The actual cash difference between the GSK and Plunge Pool Suite is around $60 for the full cash price per night, so this is not a good deal. Thought it strange that the $ amount is higher as you move up in category, because the terms/conditions don't make that distinction. But I am far less in tune with Hyatt.
Sounds like this might be previous pricing that doesn't take the new system into account. I've seen lots of homegrown pricing at Hyatts over the years for larger rooms and suites.

But the 6k and 9k levels do kinda sound like the new structure . . .
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Frustrating some kind of award redemptions and increasing breakage of awards/points is part of Hyatt’s profit-maximizing approach at the retail customers’ expense. Hyatt may care less about hotel guests than it cares about maximizing its profits and keeping hotel owners happy enough so as to retain them and minimize flag changes that don’t suit Hyatt.
Some of that makes sense, but it requires a careful balancing act between decreasing costs and decreasing revenue. The club lounge access costs them virtually nothing, is highly restricted (4 uses per year) and takes a substantial "investment" to receive. I'm not so sure about Premium suites.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Wrote to Grand Hyatt Tokyo reservation desk over a week ago. Never got a response.

Have called Hyatt global reservations for three nights straight. They told me they couldn't book a premium suite.

Finally contacted the GHT rooms manager directly. She told me that Grand Hyatt Tokyo was exempt from the premium suite upgrades, and she regretted that WoH was not able to communicate this, though she never seemed to regret not informing me when I reached out to the hotel itself well before any of that...

Anyway, it seems that premium suite awards will have an even bigger exemption list than the standard ones do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.