Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Constant harassment by onsite sales Club at Hyatt in China during meals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Constant harassment by onsite sales Club at Hyatt in China during meals

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:37 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by jzrandom
This seems to also be targeted toward Chinese clients (I am Chinese American and each time they approached me they spoken in Chinese) as I have never seen them do this to a foreigner (they would literally skip over them - I assume what they are doing would be completely taboo in western society so they don't even try).
Originally Posted by samwise6222
Don't think it's racially targeted - but rather they were going for the local people, which will most likely be Chinese.
This has nothing to do with "racially targetted". I have stayed at this hotel multiple times, stayed at the Ritz Carlton Beijing and JW Beijing, and that is very common there, that local Chinese have these club cards. The Chinese are extremely fond of having such a card and spend hours in the cub for meeitngs, drinks and food.

But agree, it's annoying to be disturbed, especially multiple times on the same stay.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by moondog

As an aside, if you eat at Hyatts a lot, the club card is a pretty good deal.
Not trying to bring this over topic, but how much is COH generally in China? I'm thinking of joining it in HK, but at almost HK$10k with mediocre discounts, I'm struggling to see the value in it.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by 59Impala
This has nothing to do with "racially targetted". I have stayed at this hotel multiple times, stayed at the Ritz Carlton Beijing and JW Beijing, and that is very common there, that local Chinese have these club cards. The Chinese are extremely fond of having such a card and spend hours in the cub for meeitngs, drinks and food.

But agree, it's annoying to be disturbed, especially multiple times on the same stay.
Exactly, this isn't rocket science.

1, Locals are the primary market for club cards
2. Locals are more likely to be Asian

As an aside, if you eat at Hyatts a lot, the club card is a pretty good deal.
Right. just look at their participating hotel list

https://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/images/h...ating_2012.pdf

Originally Posted by Offshore171
I wonder what would happen if you requested hotel security at that point?
"They are hotel employees" That's what the security would say
​​​​​​​

Last edited by samwise6222; Oct 25, 2018 at 8:28 am
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:37 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I agree with those who've suggested complaining higher up the management chain at these properties. I wonder, though, what would happen if rather than engaging, you responded in English with something like "I'm sorry, but I don't understand ...". That obviously doesn't help with the initial interruption but might encourage the sales agent to move on and not disturb you further.
NeedstoFly likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Just say "I already have one".
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1KMM; Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Just say "I already have one".
I've tried many different methods to respond none can get them to go away. If I said I already have one they open a pitch about renewing it early or purchasing additional gift certificates, etc, etc.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1KMM; Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by skj
I agree with those who've suggested complaining higher up the management chain at these properties. I wonder, though, what would happen if rather than engaging, you responded in English with something like "I'm sorry, but I don't understand ...". That obviously doesn't help with the initial interruption but might encourage the sales agent to move on and not disturb you further.
I've tried that as well, only to be told she observed me speaking Chinese and then they continue the sales pitch. Also tried "I'm busy please come back later" - doesn't work.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:06 pm

Have you tried repeating weird awkward noises really loud when they approach?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How was the duck?

I get hit up for some card whenever I go to brunch at the Westin in Shanghai. I’m definitely a foreigner by outward appearance and I always decline and go on eating.

It seems to be a common practice in China not necessarily limited to Chinese looking people or Hyatt hotels. I never found it a bother.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jzrandom
I've tried that as well, only to be told she observed me speaking Chinese and then they continue the sales pitch. Also tried "I'm busy please come back later" - doesn't work.
Thanks for the warning. Won't be giving any outlet that allows that kind of harrassment any business.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Aventine
Thanks for the warning. Won't be giving any outlet that allows that kind of harrassment any business.
You'll also want to boycott:
-Westin
-RC
-Marriott/Ren
-Shangri-La
-Hilton
-Four Seasons
-IC

I'm sure I'm missing a few.
luvFclass likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

You'll also want to boycott:
-Westin
-RC
-Marriott/Ren
-Shangri-La
-Hilton
-Four Seasons
-IC

I'm sure I'm missing a few.
Rosewood too? I hadn't realized what a pandemic this card selling culture has become.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
If the target is local residents, then they should leave you alone if you tell them you're American and only visiting in China.

I have never heard of Club of Hyatt Card and no idea what the cost and benefits are. I have stayed at a lot of the Hyatt and SPG properties in Beijing and Shanghai and never seen anything regarding CoH, but then I only eat breakfast in the restaurants and not dinner.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:58 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Club at the Hyatt is the same as Starwood's Luxury privileges or whatever Mariott's version is called.

Generally it provides a discount on dining, free parking, and a discount on accommodation as well as access to the hotel's spa. It was never a large program. It is targeted to locals or nationals. It's essentially to increase revenue from those who wouldn't be in house guests because they live locally.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Aventine
I would make a complain to the Director of F&B and GM. I wouldn't tolerate being harassed at meals period.
This. As a first measure, I would call over the server for my table and tell him/her to remove the harassing party from my table. If they refuse, I would advise them that I would find a different restaurant for my meal. And a different hotel for my remaining stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.