Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Question about changing an award booking

Old Oct 24, 18, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: *S (TK), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold

I have a reservation booked with points. I may need to shorten it by a day, but I won't know for a while. Normally I would just book the entire stay as individual days, but here I'm applying an Explorist club award which requires a single reservation.

Let's say I have booked Dec 1-5, and I need to change it to Dec 1-4. If there's no award availability on Dec 1-4 at the time I want to change, but my reservation already includes it, I just want to trim off a day, does anyone know if that's easy to do? Thank you.
Old Oct 24, 18, 7:55 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM
I suggest calling hyatt customer service to ask them to help if the 4 day award is not available. It might require some polite persistence. 800-634-3839
Old Oct 24, 18, 8:23 am

I’ve never had a problem shortening an award stay with Hyatt, whether rooms were still available or not, as long as I have done so before the penalty period for cancellations.
italdesign likes this.
Old Oct 25, 18, 1:18 pm

I've never had a problem even after the cancellation period has expired.

Once, on an award stay (1 free night & 1 cash + pts), my plans changed and I wanted to change the dates a few days before I arrived. I just called the main reservations line (not the hotel itself). I mentioned that it was after the cancellation deadline and they just said, don't worry, we'll waive it. This was for a hotel with a 7 day cancellation policy.

Once I just checked out of a 7-day stay after 2 nights and went to a different hotel because I didn't like the hotel. I just asked at the front desk if there would be a fee and they said no (though, that was not an award stay)

Overall, I've had pretty good luck with Hyatt customer service. I just politely ask for what I want and they give it to me. Obviously I'm sure there's a limit (I don't think that any of my requests were particilarly unreasonable) but it's more than I'm entitled to by the rules.
Old Oct 25, 18, 2:37 pm

Call and see if there is an early checkout penalty. If not, then change it when you are there.
Old Oct 25, 18, 2:46 pm

Just echoing what others have said here.

Shouldn't be a problem at all for WoH to shave a day off without dropping the other days. There's a way to do it in the system, so if the rep doesn't know how, say thanks, hangup, and call back.

Also, for a multi-night stay, I've never had a problem dropping nights off the end during the stay, as long as I give them at least 24 hours notice of departure.
Old Oct 25, 18, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *S (TK), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
Great, thanks everyone.