Wiki Posts
Search

New Ways to Use Your Points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:29 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I don't care about the points and cash. I'm actually not sure what people who would. Members who stay at Hyatt usually have enough that P&C doesn't make financial sense (globalist get free parking only on pure point stays). M&S should have enough points either so they don't care about using P&C.
P&C made a lot more sense before this year, when all point award nights didn't count toward status. P&C nights did count and I made good use of P&C at properties where the cash price would get sky high.

Last edited by skj; Oct 23, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by skj
P&C made a lot more before this year, when all point award nights didn't count toward status. P&C nights did count and I made good use of P&C at properties where the cash price would get sky high.
Ironically before this year I also didn't want extra nights. Made my DSU expire sooner.

Originally Posted by hedoman
It's great that someone else pays your way and you collect points. Good for you!
I think this is one where the people who stay frequently win, cause P&C doesn't matter as much if you add in the free parking for globalists on point stays.
But I do wonder about the cost calculation, because you can buy points easily for 2 cents each, so why is the cash benefit so good? I saw bloggers complaining about the high-end, category 7, 30k points. But points and cash just means buying points at 2 cents each. It is a wash. Of course, at some levels it may make sense, if you buy your points with cash.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:48 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
i don't really understand all the noise around the changes.

OK - Cash rate will increase, but to be honest, the P+C rate was generally too good to be true.
I actually like the expansion of P+C to include Suites and even Premium Suites.

So far, WOH has improved again and is getting better and better in my opintion.

And what is the hassle around "early advise time"? any time prior to the effective date is fine in my view.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
I would use that soon. Hotels in Boston proper aren't likely to remain category 4 for much longer given increases other chains have already implemented coupled with generally high cash prices. Plus you never know when you will get the one/no week notice for the 2019 category creeps list.
Already used this year's 1-4 cert for Boston this month. I had my eyes on the soon-to-be-opened Andaz Vienna for 2019, but it seems that's also out of the question with the new rules. In theory, you could still get sweet deals using points if you can rack up enough points through credit card spending and buying Hyatt points when they go on sale. But I've done reasonably well using airline miles for stays at independent boutique hotels, so that might be the way to go in the future (as well as using Chase UR points to book mileage-earning flights, instead of transferring them to WOH).
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Depending greatly on what each hotel classifies as a standard or premium suite. The terms and conditions now specifically exclude specialty, premier, presidential or diplomatic suites. So there are plenty of categories for hotels to conveniently move suites into to exclude them from award inventory.
Looking at a few cities (NY, Tokyo, etc.) it seems like right now there is only one suite level per hotel classified as standard and everything else is premium. But the lowest level premium suite isn't much better (and in a few cases was cheaper) than the standard suite. So if only the lowest level current premium suite is available for 100% of the basic room rate and everything else gets reclassified as premier or specialty, then this won't be much of a deal. The hotels I looked at didn't charge 25% more (standard rate) for the cheapest premium suite compared to the standard suite but that's the difference if we pay with points. I guess we'll have to wait until Hyatt releases the details of what classifies as a premium suite to understand if this is really a good deal.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:05 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
Looking at a few cities (NY, Tokyo, etc.) it seems like right now there is only one suite level per hotel classified as standard and everything else is premium. But the lowest level premium suite isn't much better (and in a few cases was cheaper) than the standard suite. So if only the lowest level current premium suite is available for 100% of the basic room rate and everything else gets reclassified as premier or specialty, then this won't be much of a deal. The hotels I looked at didn't charge 25% more (standard rate) for the cheapest premium suite compared to the standard suite but that's the difference if we pay with points. I guess we'll have to wait until Hyatt releases the details of what classifies as a premium suite to understand if this is really a good deal.
GH Tampa Bay is an exception. They have reclassified ALL suites to be standard about 1 year ago (except Presidential Suite). Currently, you have the option to choose any suite available with a TSU! Very generous.
I wonder if this will change again.

Last edited by 59Impala; Oct 24, 2018 at 12:47 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:11 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
So a suite upgrade is 6k pts, and a premium suite upgrade is 9k pts. So can I book a standard room cash, use a Globalist suite upgrade award, and then pay 3k pts for a further upgrade to a premium suite? Sounds like the answer is no but I wonder if some hotels will allow it.

I am interested in premium suites but I am reluctant to pay 9k pts for it especially if I can get a standard suite without paying any points for it.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
What are the chances that some hotels change the standard suite to a less desirable suite, and make the current standard suite into a premium suite?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by escape4
So a suite upgrade is 6k pts, and a premium suite upgrade is 9k pts. So can I book a standard room cash, use a Globalist suite upgrade award, and then pay 3k pts for a further upgrade to a premium suite? Sounds like the answer is no but I wonder if some hotels will allow it.

I am interested in premium suites but I am reluctant to pay 9k pts for it especially if I can get a standard suite without paying any points for it.
I asked my WOH Conceirge that question. He said that it's not possible to do this. Hopefully they start allowing this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by escape4

I would love for this to be possible, but I see 0 chance that it will be. Even if they wanted it to work this way, I think this would raise all sorts of IT issues. And I have no confidence in Hyatt's IT to handle anything even a little bit out of the ordinary.

But I think (hope) this would make it easier to call and negotiate cash upgrades to those premium suites, since this should provide the property with another value baseline for quoting upgrades beyond just comparing the cash rates for two room types.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:32 pm

Based on my personal situation (various travel policies, disinterest in suites, dietary preferences, don't drink) those United Club coupons were about the only real Globalist benefit to me - great when flights were delayed or cancelled. My employers get my points, so that part of recent program changes doesn't excite me.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I don't care about the points and cash. I'm actually not sure what people who would. Members who stay at Hyatt usually have enough that P&C doesn't make financial sense (globalist get free parking only on pure point stays). M&S should have enough points either so they don't care about using P&C.
I have always burned pts at 2 cents/pt or better. For a Cat 2, the cash plus pts (4000 pts +$55) is a pretty good deal for me because those 4000 pts I save only cost me 1.375 cents per point. So, I think that there is indeed -some- devaluation with this change, though, it is muted by the fact that I usually just don't seem much availability.

I did book one pts+cash stay yesterday for next summer at a Cat2 property.

As for the united passes, I didn't remember getting them this year, but then found them over the weekend in my card-drawer, so I must have just forgotten. There is one airport I go through each year that has a United lounge but not an AA admirals club lounge, so it is minor benefit loss as well.

I have a hard time imagining me giving up 9000 pts for a premium suite per night. All told, I think the changes net negative for me, but not hugely.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by MarkOK
I have always burned pts at 2 cents/pt or better. For a Cat 2, the cash plus pts (4000 pts +$55) is a pretty good deal for me because those 4000 pts I save only cost me 1.375 cents per point. So, I think that there is indeed -some- devaluation with this change, though, it is muted by the fact that I usually just don't seem much availability.

I did book one pts+cash stay yesterday for next summer at a Cat2 property.

As for the united passes, I didn't remember getting them this year, but then found them over the weekend in my card-drawer, so I must have just forgotten. There is one airport I go through each year that has a United lounge but not an AA admirals club lounge, so it is minor benefit loss as well.

I have a hard time imagining me giving up 9000 pts for a premium suite per night. All told, I think the changes net negative for me, but not hugely.
For cat 2, I find it hard. Depends on what taxes you are charged on the $55, cause usually with point nights there is no extra tax.
And currently Hyatt is selling points with 40% so it is 1.7 cents per point.
And with free parking on point nights for globalist it throws another wrench in, cause parking can be very expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.