Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[CONFIRMED] Points and Cash Devaluation Coming 1 November?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[CONFIRMED] Points and Cash Devaluation Coming 1 November?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by azepine00

with more upfront points needed for pure point awards this may also reduce speculative bookings
Hyatt isn’t doing this to reduce speculative award bookings. Hyatt seems to be hoping to sell more points (to point hoarders) and gain more by devaluing more of those sold points. In other words, it’s about encouraging more speculative point purchases.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Confirmed again.

This kind of devaluation with little/no honest advance notice has become so typical of Hyatt with how it does things.
I remember when they would give about a months notice for such changes. The overwhelming sentiment was gratitude towards Hyatt for at least being forthcoming. Guess they no longer need to extend goodwill anymore.

Football Fan likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Confirmed again.

This kind of devaluation with little/no honest advance notice has become so typical of Hyatt with how it does things.
And the email was spun as an enhancement.
Football Fan likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox

Which is fooling nobody.

(Deleted Twitter link. Comment was a bit too spicy)
Football Fan and MarkP24 like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:22 pm

Certainly not a welcome a change but hardly surprising in this economic environment. Now let's see what other devaluations come down the pike... I'm betting aggressive pre-selling of discounted room upgrades/suites so as to basically eliminate the Globalist suite upgrades on arrival....

The only thing that will change all this is a good old fashioned recession.... assuming Hyatt isn't forced to sell/merge.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Five Star, HH Gold, BW Platinum, M Life Gold
I used the C+P alot with the 5K to 8K locations. A lot of times if I was low on points I would be able to snag up a cheap room for say in Mt.Laurel NJ for around $45 with the 2500 points on a 5K location and usually on a weekend when I visit the area to visit my relatives and friends. Just need a place to fall sleep was fine but now with the new system I could see that being a lot more with the 50%. They should def give the higher Explorist and Globalist some sort of reduction on that maybe 30 and 20%.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hailstorm
I remember when they would give about a months notice for such changes. The overwhelming sentiment was gratitude towards Hyatt for at least being forthcoming. Guess they no longer need to extend goodwill anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwcJNsoY50E
Originally Posted by mnredfox

They definitely should have given more advance notice.

There were some enhancements to the current program, but it's certainly not an overall enhancement....
lighthouse206 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Five Star, HH Gold, BW Platinum, M Life Gold
I voiced my opinion on a CS email that hell even Best Western Platinum status might be worth trying to use now lol.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Platinum
This devaluation is designed to make the hotel owner happy at the expense of frequent guests. I am worried about more devaluation coming in 2019.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by westlaker
This devaluation is designed to make the hotel owner happy at the expense of frequent guests. I am worried about more devaluation coming in 2019.
True BUT this might also cause more hotels to open up inventory...
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by Colin
a trivial increase in the nightly "cash" component by buying half the points needed on a standard award from WOH at the current $0.017 rate vs. the defunct points+cash rate plan.

not even valuing all the incremental benefits of standard awards including last room availability, free parking for globalists, waived resort fees for kettles.
I'm not sure I would call an increase of up to 42% "trivial". On the other hand, there is very non-trivial benefit of no T&S charges, so assuming I have the pts, I will certainly be looking a bit more at all-pts vs,P+C.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
I'm not sure I would call an increase of up to 42% "trivial". On the other hand, there is very non-trivial benefit of no T&S charges, so assuming I have the pts, I will certainly be looking a bit more at all-pts vs,P+C.
of course only half of the award cost increased by the indicated percentage.
the initial points component is flat.
so, the worst case is a 21% increase, similar to a hotel shifting up one category.
the change doesn’t destroy the value of WOH

Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
.... and yet the cash component of the upcoming, devalued P+C redemption arrangement may increase by far more than 21% over the current cash component element — in some cases the cash component element may be subject to something more like a 210+% increases over the current, pre-devaluation arrangement for P+C.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:32 am

Very disappointing news.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I thought the program was on the up again with some positive enhancements since they gutted it with the introduction of WOH a couple of years ago. Guess NOT! One step forward...two steps back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.