Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[CONFIRMED] Points and Cash Devaluation Coming 1 November?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[CONFIRMED] Points and Cash Devaluation Coming 1 November?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by azepine00
You should be comparing against using all points not cash rate. You pay 150 instead 12.5k pts and thats the option you stand to lose if prediction comes true.
just not true if you have a finite number of points. I can have twice as many P&C award nights as all points nights, which is a critical piece . It’s the option of five award nights and 5 cash nights vs 10 P&C nights for my next P&C stay over Thanksgiving (and have points for my future 10 day P&C stay ) or use all points and have nothing left (assuming a point balance of 250k).

if I could buy unlimited points then the cash price doesn’t matter. Last sale was a max of 77k points,,less than 1/3 of my annual P&C points burn.

Last edited by beachfan; Oct 22, 2018 at 10:02 am
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by beachfan;
Is there a cap on the annual sale?
during the 40% bonus sale, you can buy 75K max/yr.
if you want more, have your partner or friend buy another 75K and merge into your account for free.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Good to know but not enough for my needs .

Last edited by beachfan; Oct 22, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by beachfan
Good to know but notenough for my needs .
And buying points way in advance for speculative future booking purposes is a potential losing gamble for customers. Such buying of points is to gamble in a game stacked in Hyatt’s favor, as Hyatt can devalue the points between when you buy them and when you may want to try to redeem them.
Football Fan, beachfan and aradisc like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:07 pm

Confirmed by one hotel

https://pointmetotheplane.boardingar...current-rates/
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by aradisc
Confirmed by one hotel
Likely, with the official announcement made by Hyatt sometime by the end of November after everybody has already figured it out on their own
invalyd likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:50 am

And it’s half the standard rate, not the rate you would likely be paying- hyatt menner rate, AAA, Senior
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It's not speculation any more...

https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...-upgrades.html

Points + Cash
NEW: Starting November 1, 2018, combining Points + Cash will require 50% of the points required for a free night and 50% of the Standard Rate.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:15 am

a trivial increase in the nightly "cash" component by buying half the points needed on a standard award from WOH at the current $0.017 rate vs. the defunct points+cash rate plan.

not even valuing all the incremental benefits of standard awards including last room availability, free parking for globalists, waived resort fees for kettles.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by beachfan
And it’s half the standard rate, not the rate you would likely be paying- hyatt menner rate, AAA, Senior
Guess the way around that will be (which only works on even numbered night stays and stays of 2 or more nights) to use points for half the stay and then book the lowest rate for the other half.
Football Fan likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Hyatt loyalty program management’s been in program devaluation mode for quite some time, so there is no better time to complain about devaluations than before the next devaluation. And Hyatt’s been providing less and less advance notice when it comes to how they change the Hyatt loyalty program. Complaining about no minimal advance notice period before a devaluation hits is sensible now. Complaining about devaluations is sensible now too. Unfortunately for customers, customer complaints now or later probably won’t change a thing since Hyatt is fully vested in devaluing the program for its customers in the main in the current environment. But I don’t see the harm from complaining away and doing so now and later.
Confirmed again.

This kind of devaluation with little/no honest advance notice has become so typical of Hyatt with how it does things.
Football Fan likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SF1K
Guess the way around that will be (which only works on even numbered night stays and stays of 2 or more nights) to use points for half the stay and then book the lowest rate for the other half.
That’s generally not going to be as financially beneficial approach for P+C users going forward as it would have been if Hyatt didn’t go for this latest program devaluation.

So how quickly will someone post an example where the cash element of the points+cash booking under the new P+C system is higher than a booking not using points at all? I’m not going to be surprised when some people will see that happen.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
This pretty much guts the P&C program. It will be largely something the clueless book who are cash-strapped and need to save cash as opposed to looking for value. This is a big devaluation of the WOH program.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:39 pm

only for the stupid
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

on the scale of what happened c&p at spg and hilton this seems reasonable

with more upfront points needed for pure point awards this may also reduce speculative bookings

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.