Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[CONFIRMED] Points and Cash Devaluation Coming 1 November?

Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver

https://thepointsguy.com/news/hyatt-...-suite-awards/

Looks like points and cash may be devalued soon--requiring the same amount of points but the cash portion will be 50% of the standard cash rate. This decreases the value substantially.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:14 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
If, as stated in that source, part of the issue behind the change is reimbursement rates, undoubtedly there will be changes on the pure points redemption side as well coming soon... we didn’t see too many properties move up in category last year, so I think it has to be coming. There are a number of Cat 4 properties that are in cities frequently seeing $300-500/night room rates (off the top of my head, HR Boston and The Bellevue in Philadelphia)... and of course, properties moving up from Cat 4 has a big impact on all those Cat 4 free night awards.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
I really have a feeling that Hyatt screw up their program already last year with all the WOH changes. When they started to hire someone in the hope of turning around the damaged program (a few things among what this person has performed so far include the new Chase credit card, elite qualifying nights brought by more hotels, double EQN for Andaz, Spa stuff), they put just another damage on it - devalue the C+P.

I do not know what the management team is thinking..

i would have rather devalued everything at the time of WOH...
Markie likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:31 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
I feel so far the management has done a great job in increasing the value of WOH. I'm totally fine with the promotions. I will not use exhale as outside of US. but in general, thumbs up ^
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:31 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
This will kill the value of C&P and it's very unlikely I will ever book C&P again. It will be points only going forward
bbbb and milehound like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by escape4
This will kill the value of C&P and it's very unlikely I will ever book C&P again. It will be points only going forward
Seems like that would be their intention. The only people that would use it would be people who only have a very limited amount of points and would just get the room for slightly less than they would have otherwise. Unless of course they devalue full points as well or use variable points pricing based on the cost of the room--making it worse all around.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw
If, as stated in that source, part of the issue behind the change is reimbursement rates, undoubtedly there will be changes on the pure points redemption side as well coming soon... ...
That would be a very different story and indeed a major deval. For now i see hyatt simply reducing an opportunity to buy points at decent rate - ultimately that's what c+p is...
premium suites opening up seems like a good thing 9k vs 6k is a reasonable extra at higher end properties..
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I haven't found a good pts+cash rate in about 10 months now (really, it just isn't available anyways), though I have found great cash+pts bargains before and this makes it so that you could never get a better bargain on cash+pts vs just pts, so this is a program devaluation for sure.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see more up-categorization coming this year too. Last year's changes were pretty light and I am often surprised (and happy) at low a lot of hotel categories are. Hopefully, they don't make it too bad on us though. WoH's earn/burn I think is among the best out there and adds value to the program at every level of membership (compare that to any program in which you require a heavy elite bonus in order to rack enough points to do anything with).
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Marriott took away most of the value of C&P in its new program, so this isn't totally surprising, but disappointing nonetheless.

Because they still don't offer 5th night free, I can't see them playing with the full points redemption chart too much at this point. It's not like the current redemption rates are amazing compared to their competitors.

The potential premium suite option at 9K points is a positive but it likely only make sense at higher end properties since 9K points/night is still a lot of points. And given all the conditions I can't imagine this will amount to much.

Last edited by spgplat21; Oct 19, 2018 at 10:39 am
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:52 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
If I could pay 3k pts extra (the difference between 6k and 9k) for a premium suite once I have been upgraded to a standard suite (either upgraded on day of arrival, or upgraded via a Globalist Suite Upgrade Award), then it would be an attractive new option. But if it's 9k pts period, then I cannot see using this option very often unless it's a hotel where suite upgrades are very hard to come by and I am booking several months in advance.
mixmastermark likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
C&P was good value in Cats 2-6, but now that award nights count for status/promos it's hardly the end of the world. All C&P now does is let you buy points for somewhat cheaper than the 40%-discount promo offered a couple of times a year...

Lots of people crying about Cat. 4 $400 hotels where you'll have to co- pay $200 instead of $100... except C&P availability was completely at the hotel's discretion, so you were never likely to see it during high occupancy / rate periods anyhow...

I'm much more worried about some standard suite inventory being re-classified as "premium" suites.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:43 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I'm a big fan of the World Of Hyatt program though I've never been a fan of the name of the elite tiers.
Being a Lifetime Glob I'm exceptionally happy in the program
If I had to be a new customer coming into World of Hyatt I doubt I would have any loyalty at all if I was a young millennial.
Unless my company was paying/'reimbursing for most of my bookings.Room rates are high as are a number of redemption levels at this moment.I'd debate revenue makes more sense at times
I can justify most of it for myself personally as Globalist benefits typically satisfy me except where the hotel undermines the WOH program by reinventing terms and conditions and downgrading said benefits

Deeply disappointed that Hyatt doesn't seem to reach out to its members anymore to find out any feedback ever.Shocking to me
I never get a survey from the hotel or WOH
Jeff Zidell for all the good or bad of his tenure mostly good listened to members regardless of the limited response/action to the conversation.
There seems to be nobody listening to customers presently no face to the program
There were very minor improvements to the program last year.Reward nights counting etc
I feel like its 1994 all over again pre social media and this is the era increased communication

Suppose this may be all coming with Cash and Points as discussed but horrible and not trustworthy to at least give 30 days min notice if true
Does Hyatt really want to be Southwest and have a revenue based program going forward and yes I know who is at the home office

Just take away the aspirational element and reach of its customers who may wish to book and have a positive brand experience which leads to more repeat business
While none of this will affect me to greatly if at all I am clearly watching Marriott where my points confirm me into a 5 Star new Ritz Carlton vs a tired aging 4 star Hyatt and now cash and points would make 0 sense as does points
WE will have too see how this all plays out and of course any negative change in any program just prompts the next program to get that much more evil
My two cents however limited
gadberry and Mthorn82 like this.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Oct 19, 2018 at 1:12 pm
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I'm much more worried about some standard suite inventory being re-classified as "premium" suites.
This was my first thought when reading the article; it sounds great on paper but we already know how stingy the properties currently are. It's bad enough that many Hyatt properties already use junior "suites" as the standard "suite", and I think an additional level of classification will just push more properties to lower their existing classification rather than allow guests access to higher level suites. So this could also result in a devaluation to TSUs. We'll see.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by craigthemif
C&P was good value in Cats 2-6, but now that award nights count for status/promos it's hardly the end of the world. All C&P now does is let you buy points for somewhat cheaper than the 40%-discount promo offered a couple of times a year...

Lots of people crying about Cat. 4 $400 hotels where you'll have to co- pay $200 instead of $100... except C&P availability was completely at the hotel's discretion, so you were never likely to see it during high occupancy / rate periods anyhow...

I've continued to get good C&P availabiltiy at expensive cat 6s by booking far enough in advance. I got it plenty of times when the hotel subsequently sold out.

I think the zero notice aspect of the change is egregious and is a big step backward in the rebuilding of trust.
kiowavt and milehound like this.

Last edited by beachfan; Oct 19, 2018 at 2:59 pm
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:59 pm

literally just made an account solely to reply to this thread, p+c was how i was eyeing a cheap trip to boston for 4th of july, totally have to rethink this now or just pay more
milehound likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.