Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Is it worth mattress running to Explorist from Discoverist?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:43 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE

I'm not really a hotel expert (vis a vis my FFP standings at least) but I've always been a fan of Hyatt and currently am going to be ending my year at 22-23 nights.
This is after a year of staying at wonderful properties like the Centric Tokyo, Andaz SG and a few in China, with PH DC, PH Vienna and HR Kyoto lined up before the year ends.

My question is - would it ever be worth it to mattress run an additional 5 or 6 nights (+ I could arrange 1-2 more nights out of half-need) to get Explorist? Any fellow WoH members notice any difference (or lack of) between Discv and Explorist? I've read across a few places that say Explorist is not worth a single penny extra to organically get; but the difference between (category upgrade excl. suites vs 'preferred room' for Discv) does mean something to me and I often stack it with Virtuoso/Prive/my CX emerald benefits at Hyatt properties. Also I heard some niche-er properties are still stuck in the two-tier HGP mentality of the past and explorists tend to be treated towards the ex-Diamond side?

I have at least 3 properties that I am looking to use my Club awards in 2019 if I make Explorist - Berlin, Taipei and Erawan. I suppose all of these are pretty solid options.
Plus stays at PH Beijing, Vendome and Milan - as explorist, I could use points and still potentially get semi-decent upgrades instead of having to fork full fare and use Virtuoso/Prive?

To run for those 5-6 nights, there are some cat 1 properties that go for ~$80-100 in my area, and a Cat 2 right across the street from my apartment (but that's more expensive selling for $130-200 per night on average). A few of them are HP/HHs so I could take advantage of the AAdvantage promo as well I reckon...
I also have 2 cat 1-4 certs (they count right?!) but I'm not sure if it's worth it burning for a staycation/mattress run over some potential good value uses for next year (GH erawan/TPE). Well, if I'm using them I'll do a 2 night staycation/mattress run at the HR TST Hong Kong - I guess similar level, but I live in HK anyway...
If I do 2 nights certs, 2 nights points (I have a rather abundant supply), then I'm just gonna be forking out cash for 2 or 3 nights.

I'm not sure if I answered my own question, so I would love to hear all your thoughts. Sorry for the long length and really appreciate insights from all of you in advance!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I would honestly only consider whether you will get the value out of the lounge access awards, and consider the current promos and cat-1-4 award too (might make a mattress run 'cheaper' if you can get good use of the free night certificate and the extra nights bumps you into a pts award with a current promo). Room upgrades are quite spotty and I feel like there isn't really any real difference to how a hotel places an Exp. vs Disc so I wouldn't consider that, you may just set yourself up for disappointment.

So look at the 4 club-access awards and put real dollar values on them and compare to the cost of mattress running. If you have longer stays coming up at properties with a lounge, and if you eat breakfast at the lounge (and use the lounge otherwise) I think you could get real value out of explorists in exceedance of your mattress run costs.

For me, it would be worth it -- I have 4 stays a year of 6-7 nights at hotels with clubs and though some clubs aren't great, pretty much all provide a perfectly acceptable breakfast for me and some have nice enough outlays in the evening that I end up eating dinner in the lounge about half the time as well. I also appreciate that most lounges have a couple computers with printers which I often make good use of. Explorist over discoverist for me would mean something around $1000-1500 in real hard cost savings (as I often travel with wife and kid too). People who say 'it isn't worth it' are people who don't or won't make any good use of the club access awards (because they have short stays, don't use lounges when they are around, and/or don't stay at properties with lounges).
G-CIVC likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Personally not worth it for me. I keep staying at Hyatt hotels that don’t have lounges so get no value from that. And upgrades are mediocre at best (often times coworkers with no status end up in better rooms than me).

If I were you I’d calculate the cost of the mattress run and divide by the number of club awards you think you’ll actually use. If that “price” is acceptable to you, then go for it. Otherwise just buy your own breakfast/drinks when and where you’d like. Would also free you from staying in Hyatt hotels if there is a better option.
G-CIVC likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
IMO no status at Hyatt below Globalist is worth any effort at all. Seriously I wouldn't do even one night to achieve either of them.

All four of my club awards for this year will expire unused.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:41 am

No. Save your money to spend on meals of your choice, not lounge food.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:23 am

> some niche-er properties are still stuck in the two-tier HGP mentality of the past and explorists tend to be treated towards the ex-Diamond side

If this were true, it'd be the only reason I'd consider it.

As for better treatment for explorists, I haven't heard that. If anything, anecdotally I'd say the feeling I get is more like they are treated as discoverist-ish. I can only speak to my HGP experience as a platinum, and I felt that got me exactly zilch as far as "soft benefits" like discretionary room upgrades go. One resort near me I frequent -- as platinum I had to beg for decent, regular room. When I hit diamond, the tone immediately became "what room do you want?". Night and day. Not that I thought the hotel personnel were ever rude or anything, it just seemed like diamond status gave them the air cover with management to be more accommodating.

As others have said, doing it for the club passes ain't worth it. If you really want it for a few stays, most properties will let you pay a nominal upsell ($50/day or so) to get club access, and in my pre-diamond/globalists days, I got it a few times for free just by inquiring about it.
G-CIVC likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by JetAway
No. Save your money to spend on meals of your choice, not lounge food.
Most of the time, I would rather just eat lounge breakfast than to spend the time and energy to figure out and get a 'meal of my choice', especially with the family (which for me, is 75% of the time with me) when there will be a variety of opinions. I am one that believes that having too many choices is greatly overvalued, especially on routine things like breakfast. (I also wear the same outfit every day. When I bought a new car a few years ago, I just went to the dealership and bought a new model of the old car I had).

So, for me, there is value in delegating that choice out to Hyatt. And, quite a few times now, the staff at breakfast has a great recommendation for lunch or activities, which is another choice that I don't have to make!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold
>
As others have said, doing it for the club passes ain't worth it. If you really want it for a few stays, most properties will let you pay a nominal upsell ($50/day or so) to get club access, and in my pre-diamond/globalists days, I got it a few times for free just by inquiring about it.
If you plan on using, lets say 21 nights with the club access awards, that would cost $1050 in 'nominal upsells'. That is more than twice the cost of $400 to stay at a cheap cat 1 for 5 nights. (plus expl. gets you a cat1-4 award and your pt bonus goes from 10% to 20% as well).

Originally Posted by Kacee
IMO no status at Hyatt below Globalist is worth any effort at all. Seriously I wouldn't do even one night to achieve either of them.

All four of my club awards for this year will expire unused.
For most anyone, spending 80$ (or 5000 pts) for the 30th night is worth a cat 1-4 award, let alone the other benefits
How many nights with Hyatt do you have as a refugeeist to use the awards?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:46 pm

For me, I have found InterContinental Ambassador to be a great program. If traveling in locations with good InterContinental/IHG properties, that status is easy to get and to retain. I should hit so-called Spire Ambassador soon, and at the particular properties I stay at I get benefits that far exceed what WoH gives its lower tier members.

Of course, that depends on where you actually travel, and is only relevant if there are really good IC properties available.

As much as I love GH Erawan, InterContinental Bangkok has won me over with its far better club level service and overall they treat me amazingly well.

Basically I agree with the above poster who said not to matress run. Do the travel that makes sense for you, and let the chips fall where they may with Hyatt. I tend to stay at my preferred hotel in most locations regardless of brand affiliation, although I do consider InterContinental Ambassador and Marriott group properties based on benefits and point accrual. Hyatt is now my number three, where it once was my number one program back in the days of GP Diamond. I do continue to stay at Hyatt properties that I like, but I no longer choose Hyatt preferentially on the basis of status.

G-CIVC and bbbb like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Would the OP circumstance and amount of current stays in the calendar 2018, make him the perfect candidate for the Chase Hyatt CC ? He would get the automatic free stay credits, and basic spend would get him to the Explorist Levels? I am based in Canada, so I do not have such CC available to me sadly.

LFC
ClarkGriswold and aradisc like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I do continue to stay at Hyatt properties that I like, but I no longer choose Hyatt preferentially on the basis of status.
Exactly. And booking FHR (or Prive) rates will get Globalist-like benefits.
MikeFromTokyo and G-CIVC like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by luvFclass
Would the OP circumstance and amount of current stays in the calendar 2018, make him the perfect candidate for the Chase Hyatt CC ? He would get the automatic free stay credits, and basic spend would get him to the Explorist Levels? I am based in Canada, so I do not have such CC available to me sadly.

LFC
Solid advice. Easier than mattress running (not to mention a ton of points + free night).
luvFclass likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
If you are in the US get the WOH credit card to get the 5 stay credit. The anniversary night award is worth the annual fee.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by MarkOK
I am one that believes that having too many choices is greatly overvalued, especially on routine things like breakfast. (I also wear the same outfit every day. When I bought a new car a few years ago, I just went to the dealership and bought a new model of the old car I had).

So, for me, there is value in delegating that choice out to Hyatt. And, quite a few times now, the staff at breakfast has a great recommendation for lunch or activities, which is another choice that I don't have to make!
I guess now I understand better why you are still a “Hyatt Fanboy” (meant in a loving way).

I, too, try to minimize choices that ultimately don’t have a big life/financial impact. I have a collection of identical polo shirts that I “pick from” most days.

But I do like variety when it comes to meals. Otherwise... Soylent, anyone? And I definitely find it worthwhile spending a bit of time researching vehicle choices when making such a purchase decision.

For the OP: it would not be worth it for me. The investment in time and money could easily cover the same benefits, i.e., you can either pay for a club room when you really want it or spend the money on food/drinks elsewhere, without being locked into Hyatts and Canvas wines

Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:11 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Thank you everyone! I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, the 22-23 night estimate is inclusive of the WOH CC. I think it might just make more sense with Discoverist + FHR/Virtuoso/Prive over Explorist, plus even though as I said I had 3 places in mind for the club awards, they are not 7-night stays as well so the value is limited.

My only 'thing' with FHR/Virtuoso/Prive is that I always seem to have bad luck (0.5-1 cat upgrades at best) which kindof makes me feel salty when others report much better experiences!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.