Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Grand Cayman to open on Seven Mile Beach iin 2025

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold

Just came across this announcement from February this year.

https://newsroom.hyatt.com/020118-Hy...n-Grand-Cayman

Great news: projected to open Q4, 2020
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:29 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by travelexpert
Just came across this announcement from February this year.

https://newsroom.hyatt.com/020118-Hy...n-Grand-Cayman

Great news: projected to open Q4, 2020
a rendering is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29368150-post821.html
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Cannot wait. I love Grand Cayman, but I've grown tired of the SPG/MR properties there (minus the Ritz, which is just a bit out of reach for me)
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:41 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Didn't Hyatt used to have a property at Grand Cayman? Seems like I've stayed there before, many years ago.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Didn't Hyatt used to have a property at Grand Cayman? Seems like I've stayed there before, many years ago.
Looks like they used to, but then after a hurricane had some insurance issues?
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...n_Islands.html
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
Originally Posted by CloudCoder

Yes it was very nice. We stayed there (18 years ago!) and enjoyed it.

Glad they are expanding in the Caribbean.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
I was on Grand Cayman all last week (stayed at the Marriott) and walked past the proposed site of the Grand Hyatt. There is nothing going on there - no construction, equipment, etc. Q4 2020 does not sound realistic anymore. They are marketing the hotel as hotel condo units with each unit held by an individual investor owning the unit and opting the unit into the shared rental pool when not using it for themselves. Guess they need to hit a certain percentage of units to be sold before construction starts.

On a side note - has anyone evaluated the financials for these types of developments? On the face of it, it sounds nice to own a piece of Grand Cayman but after sharing ~50% of the rental revenue with the developer/management company, I wonder if the resulting revenue would even cover the mortgage, expenses, etc. A few blocks down the street there is a Hilton Curio Collection also raising money by selling the units
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I was on Grand Cayman all last week (stayed at the Marriott) and walked past the proposed site of the Grand Hyatt. There is nothing going on there - no construction, equipment, etc. Q4 2020 does not sound realistic anymore. They are marketing the hotel as hotel condo units with each unit held by an individual investor owning the unit and opting the unit into the shared rental pool when not using it for themselves. Guess they need to hit a certain percentage of units to be sold before construction starts.

On a side note - has anyone evaluated the financials for these types of developments? On the face of it, it sounds nice to own a piece of Grand Cayman but after sharing ~50% of the rental revenue with the developer/management company, I wonder if the resulting revenue would even cover the mortgage, expenses, etc. A few blocks down the street there is a Hilton Curio Collection also raising money by selling the units
Dang. I was hoping to stay there in 2021 as a potential honeymoon option. I love the Cayman Islands and know Hyatt would treat us exceptionally well for a special occasion.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 2:21 am
formerly a193991

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Looks like 2022 now...

Grand Hyatt Targeting 2022 Debut in Grand Cayman

By Caribbean Journal Staff

=inheritThe new Grand Hyatt Grand Cayman resort is targeting a debut in 2022, Caribbean Journal=inherit has learned. The new project on Grand Cayman’s Seven Mile Beach will also include a significant residential component, which has already launched sales.

The project was first announced in 2018.

Hyatt Hotels confirmed the opening date in a statement on the growth of its Americas brand portfolio.

The company is in the midst of a significant expansion push in the wider region, with plans for 33 percent portfolio growth in the Americas by 2022.

“Hyatt’s Americas growth through 2022 further signals incredible strength in our brand among owners, customers, and guests across the largest region within Hyatt’s global portfolio,” said Pete Sears, Americas group president, Hyatt.

It’s part of continued hotel growth in the Cayman Islands, which also has major hotels from Mandarin Oriental and Hilton in its development pipeline.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Investment can be tricky, so you really need to know what you are purchasing. Gone are the days of purchasing a resort property in Vail or Arizona with the hope of having renters pay off your mortgage, with little to nothing out fo your pocket. One thing you really need to watch are the association/management fees, and capital assessments. Who decides? Is there a board of owners, or does the developer decide?

Last edited by TTT103; Feb 4, 2020 at 6:11 am
Old May 15, 2022, 10:59 pm

Hyatt Grand Cayman Opening?

Has anyone heard when this hotel will be opening? Only thing I can find is summer 2022 but no firm date.
Old May 15, 2022, 11:41 pm
formerly a193991

@ moderators, please move here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...ile-beach.html
Old May 19, 2022, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelbug007
Has anyone heard when this hotel will be opening? Only thing I can find is summer 2022 but no firm date.
2024, maybe.....
Old May 20, 2022, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tom M.
2024, maybe.....
That's what Hyatt's development site is estimating.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 12:34 pm

At least they are working on it
Noeapantoja likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.