NYC mattress runs

Old Oct 10, 18, 12:36 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Explorist
NYC mattress runs

Are there any low tier Hyatts convenient enough to NYC for a mattress run? I’m ideally looking for a tier 2 close to a train.

Meadowlands requires a cab. LIC is on the subway but tier 3...
Old Oct 10, 18, 1:02 am

The regency on Long Island is not close to the city at all but it's pretty, a tier 2, near lots of Apple and pumpkin picking… a good quick weekend getaway
Old Oct 10, 18, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
It depends on how many nights you need. Anywhere with public transport to NYC is going to be expensive.

You best bet might be weekend getaways, or finding a really cheap Hyatt Place somewhere farther away, but flying in and out to do a long mattress run. (leave a note or talk to the manager about how you need a "base" for the week and will be coming and going)
Old Oct 10, 18, 5:27 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

HR Greenwich isn't the prettiest but could fulfill your needs.
Old Oct 10, 18, 12:13 pm

Programs: Lifetime titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
there are many sub $150 properties in NJ. You would just need a car to get there though. Princeton Hyatt is $122+tax weekend end of Oct. And Greenwich is $133 +tax.

If you are willing to go as far as Virginia, there are many sub 100 places in NVA.
Old Oct 10, 18, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic View Post
there are many sub $150 properties in NJ. You would just need a car to get there though. Princeton Hyatt is $122+tax weekend end of Oct. And Greenwich is $133 +tax.

If you are willing to go as far as Virginia, there are many sub 100 places in NVA.
You wouldn’t necessarily need a car to get to the Hyatt in Greenwich. You can take the Metro-North Railroad right from Grand Central. Just make sure you take the train to Old Greenwich, not the Greenwich station. The Hyatt shuttle will pick you up from the former station. The Greenwich station is four or five miles away.
Old Oct 10, 18, 3:22 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by speedytimmy View Post

You wouldn’t necessarily need a car to get to the Hyatt in Greenwich. You can take the Metro-North Railroad right from Grand Central. Just make sure you take the train to Old Greenwich, not the Greenwich station. The Hyatt shuttle will pick you up from the former station. The Greenwich station is four or five miles away.
I did this a few times back in the FFN, G bonus, lounge closure bonus days. I miss those days (minus the recession of course).
Old Oct 10, 18, 3:29 pm

Programs: Lifetime titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by spgplat21 View Post
I did this a few times back in the FFN, G bonus, lounge closure bonus days. I miss those days (minus the recession of course).
Me Too!!! I took a taxi back then and was not aware they had a shuttle. I only did it a few time as I was working in midtown and it was a pain to get back and forth. I also travel to Secaucus NJ Hyatt place Meadowlands via a bus at 42nd st. That was ok as the bus stopped in front of the hotel back then. And they had the best NY bagels around.
Old Oct 10, 18, 7:30 pm

Programs: CX MPC Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, UAL 1K
Originally Posted by speedytimmy View Post

You can do the Princeton, NJ property on the train as well.
Old Oct 11, 18, 7:08 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Depending on how long you want to be on the train, the HP in Milford CT typically has weekend AAA rates in the mid-$80 range.
Old Oct 11, 18, 9:29 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
HP Greenwich is very cheap on the weekend, as others have mentioned, and it's a delightfully underrated hotel.

Realistically, I think it might be cheaper to find a cheap block of time in Vegas, fly there, and start a long stay at the Excalibur/Luxor at $49 per night before fees before flying back. And hey, you can take the subway to LGA!
Old Oct 11, 18, 12:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist ex-Diamond; Marriott Platinum Life; Hilton, AA, United ex-status
LIC is on the subway but tier 3...
Could you explain which line and station and walking directions between the hotel and station. Not Manhattan, but might be a good backup.

I presume no direct shuttle service to LGA?

Thanks
Old Oct 11, 18, 1:28 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jayer View Post
Could you explain which line and station and walking directions between the hotel and station. Not Manhattan, but might be a good backup.

I presume no direct shuttle service to LGA?

Thanks
The Hyatt Place Long Island City is 2 blocks from both the Queensboro Plaza station (7, N, and W lines) and the Queens Plaza station (E, M, and R lines). I stayed at the HP LIC for a night last month and found it a convenient location, as well as about 50% of the cost of the cheaper Manhattan properties. No shuttle to LGA but Uber Pool was less than $10.
Old Oct 12, 18, 10:26 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plt / LTG, Amtrak Select+
Hyatt Regency Morristown. Category 2, ten minute walk from the train station. Train takes about 66-70 minutes via NJ Transit from Penn Station
Old Oct 13, 18, 7:57 am

Why does the tier matter? Is there some new rule with WoH re stay credit?

For cheap and accessible by train I wouls say Greenwich, CT or Princeton, NJ.

However, why not go somewhere nice and make the mattress run into a getaway? Park Hyatt in DC is inexpensive enough, and has the Blue Duck Tavern. Also PH Chicago. Newport, Rhode Island could also be a weekend getaway combined with sightseeing.

Greenwich wouldn’t be that bad. I would eat every day at l’Escale.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: